Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Net

What are you guys using for a net

I have been landing some keeper rockfish here latley and have noticed i spend more then id like to trying to grab these fish with those fish grabbers. Its tough to get the fish to corporate with you at times.

I want to use a net that collapses, but want it to be wide and deep as well. i have my eye on a few at bass pro, but i was interested in hearing peoples ideas of what your using.
    Zach Moore
    Delaware Paddle Sports Fishing Team
    Fishal Custom Baits Pro Staff
    Bait Towel Pro Staff
    2017 Hobie Pro Angler 12
    YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCSa...8WkC2WzHhAjVaQ

I used my folding net from the kayak area at BPS to land my fish today (black net, blue anodized handle). He barely fit. Don't remember if I bought medium or large, but whichever it was, a 26" fish would not have fit, let alone a 30 or 40 incher.
    LL Bean (Perception) Manatee DLX Angler 9.5'
    Hobie Pro Angler 12

Comment

Whatever you do, don't buy the "Great Net" from Bass Pro. It is total garbage. It's way too small and too shallow. I bought an $18 "promo" net (that's what it said on the label) with a pink handle from Bass Pro, and it works well for flounder and fish less than 28", or so. With that said, I rarely use a net unless I'm flounder fishing or trying for snakeheads. In the summer, I just grab the leader, flip the fish into the cockpit, and pin it down with my legs. However, that doesn't work well when wearing waders or using treble hooks. I hook my pants a lot, but they're loose enough that the hook stays in the fabric and not my skin.

I wish companies would make a net like a fly fishing net but with a deep bag.
      Yellow Hobie Revo Rube Goldberg
      Yellow Tarpon 120

Comment

I picked this one up at Bass Pro awhile back. Might be one of the ones you have been looking at:
        http://www.basspro.com/Attwood-Fold-...duct/10210008/

It's not very salt friendly. I'm pretty good with rinsing everything when I get home from fishing but some of the fasteners are showing signs of rust. You have to be careful not to extend the telescoping handle too far. Also, it's kinda small for really big fish, but that hasn't been a problem for me yet cause I haven't caught any. I really don't use it that often. I bought it for toothy fish that I don't want to lip using my hand. If you get a hook stuck in the net it could be as much of a time waster as using fish grips.
        <MIKE>
        Sunrise Ocean Kayak Trident 13 Angler
        Yellow Ocean Kayak Prowler 13 Angler

Comment

The fish grippers are great, just takes forever to get them hooked in the mouth and eentually im gona miss a big one
          Zach Moore
          Bait Towel Pro Staff
          2017 Hobie Pro Angler 12

Comment

Originally posted by <MIKE> View Post
            I picked this one up at Bass Pro awhile back. Might be one of the ones you have been looking at:
            http://www.basspro.com/Attwood-Fold-...duct/10210008/

It's not very salt friendly. I'm pretty good with rinsing everything when I get home from fishing but some of the fasteners are showing signs of rust. You have to be careful not to extend the telescoping handle too far. Also, it's kinda small for really big fish, but that hasn't been a problem for me yet cause I haven't caught any. I really don't use it that often. I bought it for toothy fish that I don't want to lip using my hand. If you get a hook stuck in the net it could be as much of a time waster as using fish grips.
            That's the one I was referring to. It appears as though I have the "medium". I got the fish in the net and then broke out the lip grip to hold on to him while I took care of business and "subdued" him. My kayak safety knife has now tasted blood and it wasn't even mine!
            LL Bean (Perception) Manatee DLX Angler 9.5'
            Hobie Pro Angler 12

Comment

EGO net. The handle can be removed, and the net floats. It is a basket net. The actual net is rubberized.

However, most of the time I use lip grippers or the thumb.
              Last edited by DOGFISH; 10-09-2012, 03:28 PM.

Comment

The best kind of net is one made of rubber. It's much more friendly to the fish because it doesn't remove as much slime which protects them. The rope nets are bad, but it's unfortunately what I use because it's what I had.

Light Tackle Kayak Trolling the Chesapeake Bay, Author
                Light Tackle Kayak Jigging the Chesapeake Bay, Author
                Light Tackle Fishing Patterns of the Chesapeake Bay, Author
                Kokatat Pro Staff
                Torqeedo Pro Staff
                Humminbird Pro Staff

2011 Ivory Dune Outback and 2018 Solo Skiff
                Alan

Comment

I think it's doubtful any folding net will hold up to a bigger fish. I use a folding net by Rapala that I found at Gander Mt. Easy to use, decent size with one problem. You can only use it in one direction. You have to be sure to net your fish in the direction of the stops where the net joins the handle. If you go in the other direction it will fold up like a $2.00 lawn chair under my big butt.
                  Is that recommendation, or not?

Comment

So i feel like i better get a little more accurate with these fish grips
                    Zach Moore
                    Bait Towel Pro Staff
                    2017 Hobie Pro Angler 12

Comment

Originally posted by BassMoore View Post
                      So i feel like i better get a little more accurate with these fish grips
                      Old fashioned thumbs work great too...and don't hurt the fish like all nets do

Comment

Working...
                      X