Questions about installing a Lowrance unit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Questions about installing a Lowrance unit

I installed three Scotty rod holders on the new Manta Ray today. Before drilling holes for my old black and white Lowrance X-96 fishfinder, I connected it to the battery and could get no juice at all. I cleaned the terminals and tried it again on both my portable battery as well as a fully charged car battery. I am getting no signal at all to the screen unit. Given that it is more than 5 years old, had been giving me intermittent problems before, and was a modest-priced unit to start with, I decided that I will get a new fishfinder.

I looked back through some of the posts on similar topics to see what advice or experience had been offered. Several commenters suggested color units and others suggested getting both sonar and GPS. Still other push for the side-scan or DSI capability.

Here are my thoughts:

1. Unlike some other MKF members, I intend to use my fishfinder primarily to know what the depth is and what the bottom contours look like where I am. I rarely make long trips in open water or fish in deep water from my kayak (I have a power boat to use when I want to go to those locations). Therefore I do not need the ability to see fish throughout the water column in any more than a gross sense.

2. I never paddle out of sight of land and therefore don't feel that I need a GPS. If I ever get carried away and want to go somewhere where I might get lost, I do have an old handheld GPS plus the GPS mapping features on my smart phone.

3. The spot on my kayak deck where I had mounted the previous fishfinder and will mount the new fishfinder is a long reach from my seat. I like it there so it is out of the way of the rods and the paddle. But as a result of that installation location, I am unlikely to push buttons very often. Typically I leave the screen in the 2X magnification view nearly all the time.

4. With my aging eyes, a 3.5"-4" screen is too small. I want a 5" screen.

5. I have owned Lowrance units over the years and am comfortable with their screens and features. I think I will stay with the Lowrance line.

That narrows down my choices. I plan to visit one or more shops to look at different Mark-5X (black and white) and Elite-5X (color) units, then decide which is the best bang for the buck within my needs categories.

After that long-winded introduction, here are two questions I pose to anyone out there who knows the answers:

A. I plan to install my transducer inside the hull, either using putty or Goop. I have heard that Lowrance does not recommend that DSI units use in-hull mounting for transducers as they do not perform well when the transducer is mounted that way -- True or False? Have any of you installed a DSI unit that way?

B. I went to the plumbing aisle in Home Depot this evening to look for duct putty. I had the impression it came in sticks (like a stick of butter). I found no product there called duct putty and nothing packaged in sticks. I did, however, find plumbers putty in small plastic tubs. Is that the same stuff as duct putty? If not, where can I find duct putty? The small tub was about the size of a yogurt container. The larger size was the size of a soft margarine tub -- is one small tub enough?

Thanks in advance for your suggestions.
    John Veil
    Annapolis
    Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Hi John,
    I find that my chart plotter/GPS is useful for more than finding my way home. I use it locate fishy geographic features in a new location, and the contour maps help to quickly locate the depths and channels you are intending to target. I had a tech advisor at Lowrance tell me that DSI is only an advantage in ultra clear fresh water or blue ocean water. I use a scupper transducer so that I can get an accurate water temp., but it requires me to be very care loading and landing the kayak.
    Gary

Comment

If you can afford to get an FF with a GPS, do it. You will probably end up using it a lot more than you thought. Marking waypoints is very helpful even if you are very familiar with a river.

The duct putty is actually called duct seal and it does kind of resemble a wide stick of butter. You should find it in the section with air duct supplies. I got mine from Lowes. It seems that Home Depot might only sell a pack with a bunch of small plugs, but Lowes sells it as a 1 pound block. Its easier to deal with the bigger bock to avoid air bubbles.

I think the plumbers putty has more of a runny consistency that may not work as well to through hull mount the transducer.

I thought about doing the scupper mount on my Tarpon, but worried that the transducer would end up getting damaged my dragging on the sand or grass, but I may still think about changing to this mounting option.
      Ryan
      Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
      Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

Comment

HomeDepot sells the duct seal in 1lb. size , they carry it in the electrical supply section.

Comment

I agree with the comments about the FF/GPS combo unit. I found that the use of the contour lines on the chartfinder are great when trolling. Seeing and knowing the bottom contours even makes a reference or a starting point for a drift easier. If you have the GPS you will find a use for it. Second, the color screen also makes it easy for older eyes to see the transitions on the screen. I have alway used the analogy that we see color for a reason. Get the best unit you can afford.

Just my opinion.

Comment

Originally posted by Hemingway View Post
            Hi John,
            I had a tech advisor at Lowrance tell me that DSI is only an advantage in ultra clear fresh water or blue ocean water.
            Gary
            Not necessarily true. I had the opportunity to fish with a certain Senior Naturalist and friend of John's from CBF today. His boat had a Lowrance HDS with both side and down scanning sonar. Wow. Now, that said, you (or at least I) need the standard sonar on the split screen to better understand what's on the DSI. The structure is obvious and very helpful, but the fish can be a little tough to pick out without knowing what you're looking for. Now for the down side - I don't think you can run standard and DSI on a split screen on the Elite 4 or 5. PLEASE correct me if I'm wrong as I'm planning to pick one up soon and will spend the extra bucks for DSI if i can get that feature.
            LL Bean (Perception) Manatee DLX Angler 9.5'
            Hobie Pro Angler 12

Comment

Originally posted by dsiekman View Post
              Not necessarily true. I had the opportunity to fish with a certain Senior Naturalist and friend of John's from CBF today. His boat had a Lowrance HDS with both side and down scanning sonar. Wow. Now, that said, you (or at least I) need the standard sonar on the split screen to better understand what's on the DSI. The structure is obvious and very helpful, but the fish can be a little tough to pick out without knowing what you're looking for. Now for the down side - I don't think you can run standard and DSI on a split screen on the Elite 4 or 5. PLEASE correct me if I'm wrong as I'm planning to pick one up soon and will spend the extra bucks for DSI if i can get that feature.
              I will say that I have very little practical comparison between the two (but that is why I went to the people who make them for advise). They asked where I fish, and I said mostly brackish water, and that is when they offered the comment on DSI.

Comment

Thanks to all who commented here (even those who are encouraging me to spend more and more money). After re-thinking the mounting location for the unit, I believe I can mount it in a position near enough to my seat to reach easily. That would allow me to get a combo FF/GPS unit. Once I passed that decision threshold, I came up with another idea. I have a nice 5" color FF/GPS (Lowrance LMS 527C) unit on my center console that has performed very well for several years. I am considering relocating that to my kayak and replacing the unit on the center console with an HDS 5. That way I can upgrade the electronics on both vessels at the same time. Even better, both units use the same transducer, so I would not need to re-install the transducer on the center console -- I can just plug in the new HDS5. I have not pulled the trigger yet, but that is my latest plan.

Assuming I follow that course, I will use one of the Scotty base mounts I installed for rod holders to hold the electronics. My new Manta Ray has Gear Tracks (called the Native Groove system). Scotty has a new base that slides onto gear tracks (model No. 438 Gear-Head Track Adapter) that would allow me to move the displaced rod holder to one of the tracks. Unfortunately it is not available yet -- the website says "Coming Soon". Have any of you seen these yet? I am aware that Yak Attack makes a track unit that attaches to a Scotty base, but I would prefer going with the more compact Scotty part.
                John Veil
                Annapolis
                Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

You are correct. The Lowrance Elite 4 and 5 DSI are sole purpose (ie DSI only no "regular" sonar). However Humminbird DI units (Hbirds equivalent to DSI) are dual pupose and can show each individually or splitscreen.

2015 Viking Profish Reload

Comment

Originally posted by reel-em-in View Post
                    You are correct. The Lowrance Elite 4 and 5 DSI are sole purpose (ie DSI only no "regular" sonar). However Humminbird DI units (Hbirds equivalent to DSI) are dual pupose and can show each individually or splitscreen.
                    Thanks for the info!
                    LL Bean (Perception) Manatee DLX Angler 9.5'
                    Hobie Pro Angler 12

Comment

Thanks for the info!
                      No problem. New for this year Hbird came out with the 581i HD DI Combo I've seriously been looking at. GPS, 5" HD screen, DI/sonar, all for $299. It seems like a killer deal if you don't mind a B/W screen. Especially considering basically the same unit from last year w/out DI sold for $349.

2015 Viking Profish Reload

Comment

That new hummingbird looks great for the price. My Cuda 350's transducer cable rotted out after 2 years service and im looking for a replacement unit. That might be my next purchase. Thanks for the info

Comment

Working...
                        X