Sonar- must have features

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sonar- must have features

After two years of "on the water" kayak fishing experience, I have a set of "must have" features for my sonar unit-

First and foremost it must be a dual combo unit with a full featured GPS- the way I fish under the conditions I fish this is essential for safety and "fishability."

I am not impressed with the present state of the so-called DI units- much hoopla about it, but under actual use- nada- at least in my opinion- unit must have a clear easily seen, crisp display- color is nice but not essential- the features are much more important as is the ease of use- MUST be user friendly- not a geek unit for professional IT users with pages of confusing menus of options and variable settings. I prefer a 4 inch or larger display, but depending on how close it is mounted to the user, this is just a personal preference. It must have a water temp feature clearly displayed on the unit at all times- very important when you cross a temp change in waters to know that- must identify fish vs structure or debris. This is where I am not impressed by the DI units- Their ads don't equal what is seen on the boat- very disappointing when you have raised expectations of looking at an underwater television screen and you find out it is not- right now, I would not spend the extra money on a DI unit, unless it had every other feature you need.

The GPS has to be a full featured GPS with multiple way points, structure maps, overlays, etc. You will be surprised at how useful this is once you use it-especially in fog or reduced visibility of rain, darkness, etc. I find it especially useful when you get a hit trolling that you can come back to the exact same place and get other fish from the same school.

And finally the unit must be dependable and weatherPROOF- There are a lot of makes and models for sale- some are real great values and some are gold plated boat anchors. You can get a lemon from any manufacturer, so product service and warrantee service is paramount when making choices. Garmin, Navionics, Lawrence and Hummingbird are the major manufactures of these units and all have many price point models ranging from basic to professional- for my personal needs- (and wants) my unit is about middle of the road in price at about what most pay for an entry level kayak- it isn't for everyone, but it is a must have for me-
    "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
    2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
    "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
    Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

I must agree with the DI. I find myself going back to the the standard view.

Comment

The Lowrance HDS 8 second gen is an awesome unit- way too much for a yak unless it is the 14' Hobie Pro Angler small boat-

Comment

When I moved the Lowrance LMS 527 color FF/GPS from my center console to my Manta Ray, I replaced the unit on the center console with a Gen 2 HDS-5. I got the new electronics just before winterizing the boat. I will get to try it out next spring when the boat is back in service. I have seen the HDS-10 Gen 1 and Gen-2 side-by-side on Walleye Pete's charter boats. The Gen-2 has more power and a faster refresh rate on the screen.
        John Veil
        Annapolis
        Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Gen 2 has faster processor and better screen resolution. Gen 2 also fixed the probs the gen 1 was having.

Comment

anyone have the Elite 5 DSI on their kayak? I'll give a review of my new unit after I get familiarized with its operation and features and had a chance to fish with it-

Comment

If your batterys not fixed into the kayak remove the battery and pop ur unit off the mount by pushing it forward and grabbing the handle and pulling up. Take it inside run through all ur functions waypoints routes trails follow youtube also if needed. I say this just because its 100 percent easier learning the functions off the water more than on the water but i just remembered your transducers fixed so mayb sit outside one day and go through the features

Comment

Just installed the Elite 5 DSI. Everything is looking good so far
                Interstate Kayak Fishing

Comment

Jack- how did you install the transducer- through hull or directly in water? I want to figure out an in water install that is out of the way, fish won't tangle in it and it is permanent- figure I will need some aluminum bar to build the mounting system- nasty weather to be messing outside today-

Comment

Working...
                  X