Kayak Fish Finders

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kayak Fish Finders

I'm thinking of installing a Lowrance X4 Pro in my Hobie Pro angler 14. It looks like it's good enough for what I want and not expensive.

I have a few questions

What normally comes with the fish finder? Battery (ies), installation and mounting kit, etc.

Is the transducer that comes with the fish finder able to be installed on the inside of the yak?

Should I purchase the Hobie inside the hull installation kit? Does it support Dual Beam?

I'm open to all suggestions

I know, lots of questions, but I want to get it right the first time.

The Lost Navigator
    Attached Files
    Fishin Bob
    Hobie Pro Angler 14
    Carolina Skiff 18JVX

Usually it's just the DF, mounts, wires and transducer and screws. Most transducers can be installed on the inside. Usually the kit is not necessary and the dual beam will work ....... it'e usually 2 different frequencies ........ side imaging usually doesn't work because the transducer needs to be in the water below the water line with no obstructions

Comment

when you buy a fish finder your going to get the unit, and the transducer and the nuts and bolts and bracket..

batterys are sold seperatly and wires you have to splice on your owm.

DaddyG on here has a few batterys cheaper then you can find in store, shoot him a Personal Message.

i used the same transducer on mine and dont have any problems with a cheap hummingbird 170. i get the depth perfect.. and water temp.. but as far as finding fish i dont get as much as other guys using higher tech fish finders.. but i dont need that i just needs depths.

i have a 2012 hobbie 14 as well.
      lots of guys do everyone has done things differently
      Zach Moore
      Delaware Paddle Sports Fishing Team
      Fishal Custom Baits Pro Staff
      Bait Towel Pro Staff
      2017 Hobie Pro Angler 12
      YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCSa...8WkC2WzHhAjVaQ

Comment

With the unit's supplied transducer you will usually get a transom mount- Lowrance makes a scupper transducer mount that will work for all series as an option- it cost $39.00
        Last edited by ronaultmtd; 12-31-2012, 07:30 AM.
        "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
        2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
        "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
        Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

Lost Navigator,
          Here is how I rigged my Revo. I didn't drill holes for the FF. There was recall for Humming Bird 170 a year ago. I have both X4 and X4 pro now. X4 is fine for finding stripers and croakers. I don't jig unless I see the fish on the FF. All inexpensive FF are fine

here is something about Duct Seal:
          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GEZ9_C1iKP0

Check out my posts under titles - Again, I don't jig when I don't see the fish on FF:
          More CBBT Stripers and Elizabeth River specks- Dec 23, 2012
          More stripers on Dec 7 at CBBT
          CBBT 30 Nov, 1 Dec 2012

joe
          Last edited by ComeOnFish; 12-30-2012, 11:24 PM.
          Fish like there's no tomorrow.
          Youtube UserID: ComeOnFish01 (Over 300 kayak fishing videos in mid-Atlantic (DE, MD & VA)
          https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKb...JtmNcSJBi2Sazg

Comment

Transducers can be mounted through hull, but I personally would get the scupper mount. I like them in the water better. I don't have a hobie, but I made a mount for the FF and made a swing arm to drop over the side. deploy the arm when using it and pull it up when not.

The more expensive ones work better in the water rather than thru hull, if you drop that much coin. I only went with the 170.
            "If you can't have fun doing it, it ain't worth doing." ... or you're just doing it wrong.

My Blog "Confessions of a fisherman, hunter and tinkerer"

Comment

Working...
            X