Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can you still catch large fish outside the spring trophy season?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can you still catch large fish outside the spring trophy season?

In the spring, the large fish come into the bay to spawn so most people seem to troll larger lures to catch them. What is left after these fish leave the bay...just the smaller ones? Is it any use to troll anymore or does chumming and casting for bridge pilings take over?

I've been out a few times this year after spring trophy season on a boat. We were trolling, and caught 36"+ fish on multiple occassions. They were often deep, and not schooled up. It's funny...the captain would always end up saying "we normally don't catch fish that big this late in the season". They're there, just not as easy to luck up on because there aren't as many as compared to the fall & spring migratory runs.
    <insert witty comment here>

Comment

I haven't found them in the upper bay, but it seems that in the mid and lower bays someone is always pulling up a 40 incher.

Light Tackle Kayak Trolling the Chesapeake Bay, Author
      Light Tackle Kayak Jigging the Chesapeake Bay, Author
      Light Tackle Fishing Patterns of the Chesapeake Bay, Author
      Kokatat Pro Staff
      Torqeedo Pro Staff
      Humminbird Pro Staff

2011 Ivory Dune Outback and 2018 Solo Skiff
      Alan

Comment

I've seen multiple 30+ inchers pulled up at the bay bridge during the summer.
        2010 Hobie Revolution 13

Comment

I had some good trips in October with several 30+ inch fish ver the last two years. Still bummed over a 40+ inch fish I lost while trying to get my thumb in its mouth to boat her in late October. My biggest summer striper is 32 at the bay bridge in June.

Danny.

Comment

Working...
          X