Navionics Platinum Chesapeake Bay chip

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Navionics Platinum Chesapeake Bay chip

$174.00 seems like a lot for the chip- I understand the difference between the Gold and the Platinum chip is the depth contours, wreck details and updated NOAA cartography- Question- has anyone on the forum used the Chesapeake Bay Navionics Platinum Plus chip on their units? Is it worth the money?
    Last edited by ronaultmtd; 12-25-2012, 06:21 AM.
    "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
    2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
    "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
    Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

After doing a little more research, the Platinum Plus chips are not compatible with the Lowrance Elite chart-plotters

Comment

I found a app for my phone I use a lot it shows depth contours/ wind & tides/ buoys and you can track yourself. And its only $5.99 it works for me. [NAVIONICS]
      Mike and son Jeffrey Yellow Hobie Pro Angler
      Olive Hobie Outback

Comment

I have my gifts opened and looking at them- the Lowrance transducer scupper mount is pretty simple- it is a threaded plastic rod through a plastic plug with an adapter on the bottom that holds the factory DSI skimmer transducer that comes with the unit- looks like it should work fine- the mount will be slightly below (not flush with) the hull but with the big center keel on the Outback that should protect the transducer from damage - the advantages are obvious- true sonar readings w/o any interference and true water temps immediately w/o waiting for the hull to get to the same temp as the water it is in-

The Elite 5 DSI Gold is the top of the line of the 5 inch DSI units- it has the custom 2 GB Gold Navionics SD Micro chip for the US and Canada- list for $199.99 on the Navionics site- Amazon.com has it for as low as $179.00- I have been on You Tube most of the morning looking at GPS City instructional videos for this unit- pretty complicated and pretty simple all at the same time- in advanced settings you have so many options-

Well, shucks, folks- the scupper mount works perfectly...but that's the problem- it takes up the only place on the Outback that my Hobie cart plugs into- can't use both and it makes no sense to have to disassemble the transducer each time I go to launch- so now, I have to come up with a "plan B" to mount the transducer- and after the bride spent so much money on this unit I will not compromise with a through hull mounting, so now the inside machinist in me comes out with some Rube Goldberg designed mounting system
        Last edited by ronaultmtd; 12-25-2012, 11:09 AM.

Comment

Online, you can still find Fish-N-Chip cards. Most are still pretty expensive. However, they are the gold series.

Comment

Not having turned the unit on, yet...wondering just how much more useful the chips are- and if the Fish and Chip card makes the unit significantly better than the Navionics Gold card

Comment

I like the bung hole adapter with a ram mount .......... only available in Aussie Land ........ I think I still have the guys address somewhere if you are interested I'll look for it for ya .......

Comment

The Fish-N-Chip made a significant difference on my Humminbird 597. I don't know about the Lowrance. You may want to give Navionics a call.

The bung hole adapter was a one time run, according to the kayak shop that was on YouTube.

Comment

Dogfish- There is a Lowrance Elite 5 DSI ram kayak mount kit I am checking out from Australia- Tallon Socket- one US distributor in Washington, state- it is all in one- a waterproof flush deck mount plug in for the electronics and transducer- looks really professional, neat and easy to have a completely naked kayak without compromising hull integrity- I have emailed the US distributor for prices, availability, etc.

The Lawrence scupper transducer mount is a perfect fit- looks like it was just made for the Outback's hull- one big drawback- it takes up the scupper hole that I use for my Hobie plug in cart- and I really have to have the cart, so I won't be able to use the kit unless I use it as a side mount off the deck of my yak- something I am measuring the dimensions to build right now-
                  Last edited by ronaultmtd; 12-27-2012, 10:54 AM.

Comment

Ron,
                    Is that the only scupper you can use? The Outback must have more than 2 scuppers.
                    Hobie PA 12

Comment

You would think...but this is the case- two scuppers in the rear compartment- and the small drains under the seat-

Comment

Working...
                      X