Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hobie carts, which one?

Hey all,

Would love your input, as to which Hobie cart is best for all-around. i plan to be launching from many different areas, boat launches, sand, and normal terrain.

Which cart do you have, and what are pros/cons. I'm thinking either the standard or heavy duty, just not sure. Is the heavy duty worth 40 extra bucks?

Thanks!

I have both the heavy duty cart and the wheel ez balloon tires and hands down the heavy duty cart is the best for me. I only launched over sand once and the balloon wheels were very good. However, the solid tires of the heavy duty cart roll much better over harder surfaces as well as won't go flat. I got flats a few times and got tired of it so I went for a lower maintenance cart.

Light Tackle Kayak Trolling the Chesapeake Bay, Author
    Light Tackle Kayak Jigging the Chesapeake Bay, Author
    Light Tackle Fishing Patterns of the Chesapeake Bay, Author
    Kokatat Pro Staff
    Torqeedo Pro Staff
    Humminbird Pro Staff

2011 Ivory Dune Outback and 2018 Solo Skiff
    Alan

Comment

Thanks so much for the input. I'm leaning towards the heavy duty cart, but wanted to see what kind of experience people had with the carts.

Comment

I have the fat sand tire Hobie cart- 2 years now- no issues whatsoever ever- kinda pricey, but once you buy it, you have it...
        "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
        2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
        "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
        Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

I got a flat that I repaired once after running over something sharp and the next time, I snagged one with a lure. I couldn't fix this one and will need a new wheel. So it was half my fault to be fair :-)

Light Tackle Kayak Trolling the Chesapeake Bay, Author
          Light Tackle Kayak Jigging the Chesapeake Bay, Author
          Light Tackle Fishing Patterns of the Chesapeake Bay, Author
          Kokatat Pro Staff
          Torqeedo Pro Staff
          Humminbird Pro Staff

2011 Ivory Dune Outback and 2018 Solo Skiff
          Alan

Comment

I have the balloon tires that I use only when going on soft sand. Most of my launches are from hard ground to boat ramps. I have the hard wheels also. I like them the best for all around except for soft sand. I carry my wheels with me on the water. When I get back to the launch, I just put the wheels under water and up through the scupper holes and roll up the ramp or shore to my car. When using the balloon wheels, I cannot put them underwater into the scupper holes when I am by myself. The wheels tent to float so they resist going under water. I would have to unload the kayak, and turn the boat on its side to insert the balloon wheels. Then I could put my gear back in the yak and roll it to my car.

Comment

I've got the heavy duty cart. great except on soft sand. No flats is a plus but if you are going to be dragging across sand on a regular basis go with the fat tires.

Comment

Like everyone .......... HD for most launches .......... Wheeleze for Sand. Tried the HD for sand once ....... not easy

Comment

I have both carts for same reasons. Sand-balloon, any other surface-hd cart. Just like a kayak one won't do it all

Comment

The only problem with the hobie carts is that they are difficult to put on a loaded yak by yourself, since you have to turn it on its side, causing everything to fall out. I've learned how to do it with minimal fallout, but it's not the easiest thing. Of course, the best solution is to have a buddy put it on while you lift the yak.

I've got the heavy duty tires, and although they may not be as good as the balloons , they still work fine on soft sand.
                    Mike S.
                    Hobie Outback
                    Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers
                    3D Printed Hobie Hatch Bucket

Comment

Yep- a PITA....but a necessary PITA...try carrying a Outback instead of pulling it on wheels...no fun- Bill has the shorter length scupper rods on his cart and he puts his in in the water- mine is impossible to do- have to unload the yak, turn it on its side and insert cart- but I do it every time, so I am used to it-
                      "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
                      2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
                      "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
                      Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

In my case,

If my friend starts kayak fishing and he wants to come with me, I will ask him buy a cart with EZ wheels. It depends on where you fish and how strong you are.
                        At Kipto (VA), I stop using a cart with EZ wheels. I paid extra for the concrete boat ramp, and I drove the truck to the concrete boat ramp and dropped and picked up the kayak right at the ramp.
                        At CHSP (DE), EZ wheels are very good because I can't drive the truck to the water

At SPSP, MD, I can use either one

Joe
                        Fish like there's no tomorrow.
                        Youtube UserID: ComeOnFish01 (Over 300 kayak fishing videos in mid-Atlantic (DE, MD & VA)
                        https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKb...JtmNcSJBi2Sazg

Comment

i bought the sand cart with my revo in 09 and have had no problems in sand or ramps but the beach wheels are a bitch to to get under the yak in the water and was tired of un loading and turning the yak on its side then reloading everything back up so i bought the hard wheels from BYBs and made them fit the beach wheel cart. not hard to do at all. now when lainching from a ramp they slip right under and i can pull the yak out with ease
                          Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                          X