Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scotty Triple Rod Holder - variation

Guys,

I'm new to the sport and am trying to optimize my rigging. I'm am thinking about putting a Scotty triple rod holder (#262) in front of me, so I don't have to turn around all the time to see my rods, also, allowing me to put a fish finder on the middle mount someday. I had occasions this summer where I dragged a small rockfish for quite a while because he was too small to pull enough to make me turn around. Ideally, I would prefer a flush mount (244, 244L, 344, 444) so when the holder bracket is removed The mount is not sticking up. I have a few questions that perhaps you experienced rigging guys might know the answers to. Apologize, if these questions have been answered before.

1) Is the Scotty Triple Rod Holder compatible with the flush mounts vice the mount generally sold with it?

2) Assuming the answer to #1 is yes. When Scotty sells the TRH without any mount they also do not include the mounting post. I can not find any place that sells just mounting posts? Any advice? Or, maybe the answer to Q #1 is NO - hence no stand alone mounting posts. Also, do you think the locking flush mount (244L) is worthwhile?

3) Does anyone recommend a certain style of rod holder (i.e. Power Lock, ORCA, Rod Master etc.) over another . . . for spinning and bait casting rods? Why?

Regards,

Terry
    Terry Hill

<*)))><{ <*)))><{

<*)))><{

<*)))><{

Santa Cruz RAPTOR

I put the triple mount on my Prowler- I did not used the Scotty flush mount because of the location in the kayak I did not want to drill an inch and a half hole for the flush mount- I used the regular multi position scotty mount- the flush mount works and the post are available through Hook 1 and Austin Canoe and Kayak- I have used both scotty rod holders and Ram mounts- both work fine- Ram has so many adjustments, I would recommend you give them a hard look-
    "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
    2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
    "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
    Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

Originally posted by Raptor View Post
      Guys,
      Also, do you think the locking flush mount (244L) is worthwhile?
      Due to the locking mechanism I don't think the locking flush mount is watertight. You may end up with some water inside the yak.

2015 Viking Profish Reload

Comment

I put a flush mount in front of me, with an extender and a 3 rod holder. works great. I use the flush mount without the lock, according to the site it's model 244. Drilled the hole a little small, and used a LOT of marine goop. The mounting post? Are you talking about the rod holder extender? I use the metal one, since it's higher, my friend uses the plastic one b/c it's shorter. So both work. You can get it from Bass Pro, West Marine, lots of places. I got the 3 rod holder from amazon, bc there was a deal that came with actual rod holders.

A couple notes. The place I mounted it needs to be strong. The location I put it in can handle 3 rods, but the mounting point bends a little more than comfort if I put heavy reels on. I just got a fish finder, so my plan is to mount 2 rods and a FF in the middle.

Comment

I ordered this
          http://www.amazon.com/Scotty-256-Tri...ple+rod+holder

I don't remember the price. But it comes with the power lock rod holders. They're ok, they can fit any rod since they're really wide. The ORCA seems really nice tho, but holy balls they're expensive.

Comment

Good point on the locking mechanism - hadn't thought about that - thanks
            Terry Hill

<*)))><{ <*)))><{

<*)))><{

<*)))><{

Santa Cruz RAPTOR

Comment

My plan is the same rod - FF - rod. My kayak is a sit in so cutting a hole in the "hood" is not as critical. If you got water coming in there you are upside down. Thanks for the info.
              Terry Hill

<*)))><{ <*)))><{

<*)))><{

<*)))><{

Santa Cruz RAPTOR

Comment

There is another brand of mounting platform for rod holders and accessories. It is RailBlaza. They are at West Marine. It is more stable and solid. The mounting bar is made of aluminium, with two mounting points. You can mount rod holders, FF and other things on the bar. You can find them on the West Marine web site. It is quite a solid rig. The store in Annapolis has them in stock. They do cost considerably more than the Scotty but more solid and stable.

Comment

Thanks for the reply I looked at the RailBlaza web site and would have seriously considered the product . . . but I had already ordered the Scotty system from hook 1. Even though I ordered the Scotty rod holders without mounts they sent the mounts anyway so I have two Scotty deck mounts free to a good home if you know anyone who needs them.
                  I looked at you profile and discovered we have two things in common we are both retired (1 year) and we both live in Annapolis. I live in the St. Margaret's area. At which West Marine do you work Jennifer Rd. or Forrest Drive? I probably will soon be in the market for a fish finder with GPS. I'm leaning towards the Hummingbird 385ci. Anyway - when the ice goes out perhaps we can go for a fish together? I'm quite new to the sport. Used to fish quite a bit when I was young but it has been years and I'm quite rusty on my casting skills.
                  Terry Hill

<*)))><{ <*)))><{

<*)))><{

<*)))><{

Santa Cruz RAPTOR

Comment

i used the TRH on my tarpon and redfish with no problems just use 1 1/2 ss washers to back up the ss locking nuts when installing it. some yaks dont use the thickest plastic and a big rock can hit hard

Comment

Thanks for the information - Actually, I'm using a Scotty flush mount with an 1 1/4 inch hole with what must be a 2" locking nut and a 2" plastic washer for support on thinner hulls. All this is on the "hood" of the Santa Cruz Raptor which is a "sit in" kayak. Hopefully, I can catch a rock that stresses it.

Regards,

Terry
                      Terry Hill

<*)))><{ <*)))><{

<*)))><{

<*)))><{

Santa Cruz RAPTOR

Comment

Hey, I took a look at the Raptor kayak. That is an interesting design. You will have to give us an update on its performance after you get some experience with it.

Comment

I would only use a surface mount on a Kayak ........ don't like big holes in the yak even sealed. They make flush mounts that lock. I use that along with the Yakattack stuff. Really expensive but it works.

A less expensive but just as good and probably better is the 1 that Dogfish suggested.

Comment

I have used the Raptor since last August. It is a very stable fishing platform that you can even comfortably stand up in (see attachment). It is also warmer than a SOT in the cold or wet weather. BTW - Santa Cruz now has a sit on Raptor too. There are a couple of downsides. You can flip it if you try hard enough (voice of experience). If you flip it plan on spending some time in the water while you bail it enough so that it is stable enough to reenter (also voice of experience). Second I don't think it is as efficient as some of the narrower kayaks. I went out with John Veil and had to paddle like a mad man to keep up. John didn't look like he was working too hard. Maybe, it was paddling technique? He is quite experienced. Got my Scotty surface mount installed today. Plugged in the triple platform with left and right rod holders - looks good. Now for the FF in the middle.

Terry
                            Terry Hill

<*)))><{ <*)))><{

<*)))><{

<*)))><{

Santa Cruz RAPTOR

Comment

The one I was looking at was the sit-on-top.

Comment

Working...
                              X