RAM transducer mount

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RAM transducer mount

I have been thinking about rigging a new transducer for a while and finally got around to it. I ordered a Ram mount kit I think it was about $60.00. I took a few trips out on the kayak trying to figure out the best place for it. I have mounted things that seemed perfect until a fishing pole hit it or it rubbed my knee raw, so alot of thought went into this one.

I started by making a jig to bend the rod that holds the transducer. I used an old peice of 2X6 and 3 lag bolts to make the jig. The rod is easy to bend.
    027.jpg 029.jpg

I didn't want all of the extra wire laying around so I cut a long section out of the middle. I soldered the wires and wrapped them in a thin foil to block interference then electrical tape and then coated the section in PLASTIC DIP the stuff used for tool handles. A nice flexable water tight seal.
    041.jpg 045.jpg

I figgured out that mounting it infront of me made it easy reach in order to raise and lower as needed. I used large washers on the inside since this isn't the thickest part of the yak.
    034.jpg 035.jpg

Once every thing was tightend down and bolted together it all worked perfectly, I can lean forward and raise or lower it as needed.
    038.jpg 039.jpg

I still have my old transducer mounted inside the yak. It dosen't give the best readings but will be nice when I am out at the ships or fishing pielings.
    Jim

Hobie Outback
    TKAA member
    Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers inc.

Everyone should believe in something... I believe I'll go fishing.

Very cool I would have never thought of this...how long did it take you?
    Ocean Kayak Trident 13: Sand

Comment

I spent a lot of time thinking about where and how to it but only about 2 hours putting everything together.
      Jim

Hobie Outback
      TKAA member

Comment

I bought the same kit awhile back and I have been trying to think where best to put it. I have a mighty mount installed on my gunnel and I plan to try it there for now. I like you jig idea, I will have to steal that.

Good luck on the Occ tomorrow! I'm heading to Lake Anna to troll for stripers and white perch.
        Hobie Local Fishing Team - Backyard Boats
        Locations in Annapolis, MD and Woodbridge, VA
        https://www.backyardboats.com/

Comment

Damn, did I forget to say Pattend-Pendig?

I mounted mine below the gunnel for 2 reasons.
          1 it keeps the whole thing completely out of my way.
          2 i haul my kayak upside down on my Jeep and the ball misses the roof rack when sliding it forward.
          Jim

Hobie Outback
          TKAA member

Comment

What are you going to fish for tomorrow at Occoquan? I myself will try for crappie for a while and when I get a few might try to get a few bluegills for flathead later on.
            Ocean Kayak Trident 13: Sand

Comment

The RAM transducer mount you have is almost an identicle setup to my Mad Frog Liberator transducer mount- only mine is on the opposite side of the kayak-
              "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
              2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
              "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
              Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

Gotta love the ingenuity of some folks! Nicely done. One idea...for anyone considering mounting the ball on the gunnel, you could consider a small track from YakAttack. This would enable you to remove the ball when transporting, and give you some flexibility with location of the ball. Just a thought.

Comment

Wow you cut the transducer cable? Ballsy

Comment

Originally posted by FRED driver View Post
                    Wow you cut the transducer cable? Ballsy
                    I looked on line and found a lot of people asking how to fix cut or damaged transducer wires. It seemed like an easy fix, I was a little nervous about cutting it but figured what the hell.
                    Jim

Hobie Outback
                    TKAA member

Comment

Wait I'm confused. Isn't this what you bought?

http://www.starmarinedepot.com/RAM+M...FQ-e4Aodbj8AwQ

Why do you have to bend the rod?

Comment

Yes that is it. I was surprised as well when it came and I found out I had to bend it myself. I guess different yaks and placement determad the radius and length of the bent rod.
                        Jim

Hobie Outback
                        TKAA member

Comment

I totally missed the "rigid" part in the description. In the picture it looks like a flexible arm. Once you bend it to fit one boat, it might work well for that one, but you might have to re-bend it to fit another kayak. Probably not something that you'd want to do.

Comment

Yep, I thought the same thing about it being a flexible arm. I like it but its not what I was expecting.
                            Jim

Hobie Outback
                            TKAA member

Comment

Looks great Jimmy
                              '12 Ocean Kayak Prowler trident 13 Orange
                              '09 Wilderness Systems Ride 135 Red
                              Kayak Fishing Mafia

-Both fish and men are often caught with artificial's-

Comment

Working...
                              X