gps/fish finder

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• gps/fish finder

Looking for a gps fish finder for my new o k trident 13. I like hummingbird brand. Any input would help. Thanks
    2014 Hobie Dune Outback
    2013 Ocean Kayak Yellow Trident 13
    Rob

Do you have a price range? It would help narrow down a model I think because hummingbird makes a few with a GPS. Although I am new with fish finders myself. I to have a trident 13 (2012) and am planning on buying the hummingbird pirahnamax 160 and doing a non drill install with a scupper transducer.
    Ocean Kayak Trident 13: Sand

Comment

I find the GPS very useful. But you have to do a bit of research on the maps. There are a bunch of different maps and different FFs take different maps. So actually, finding the map you like and choosing a FF accordingly may be the best course of action.
      Mike S.
      Hobie Outback
      Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers
      3D Printed Hobie Hatch Bucket

Comment

I am going through this right now. I just got the O K Trident 13. I also got the Humminbird PiranhaMax 176i because it's simple but also had gps feature that I wanted to help me mark hotspots. I paid 129. Spoke to Humminbird customer service today, though, and they said that the transducers which ship with the finder do not fit in the scupper. No big deal, but the scupper transducer they usually let you swap out for free is not compatible with any of the 2013 PiranhaMax's, including the 175 and 176. To make it work, you have to buy the O K UltraPak which is an extra $90 bucks and does you basically add an adapter. I'm hoping they help me work this out, but no word yet. Make sure you confirm with customer service that the model you want will fit in the scupper. I didn't. They wanted me to send it thru the hull but that defeats the purpose of water temp reading.

If anyone out there has a suggestion that could save me 90 bucks, (other than a return of the ff), i'd appreciate it.
        Hobie Revo 13 (w/ graffiti removed)
        Ocean Kayak Trident 13

Comment

Fog will make you thankful to have the gps feature- I have used mine for finding my way back to launch as well as staying in an area where I have caught fish trolling-
          "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
          2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
          "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
          Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

I was looking to spend around 300 bucks. I was looking at the hummingbird 386 co. I'm not sure if the transducer will fit the scupper hole of the 2013 trident. I'm wondering about securing the transducer the the inside bottom of yak. Will it work? I'm not really worried about getting water temp due to not being in water. Good buy?
            2014 Hobie Dune Outback
            Rob

Comment

Sure it will work-wet well installations work best, but other installations work, too- Using a wet well gives you temps, but it is not nearly as accurate as an "in water" install as the hull has to get to the exact same temp as the water and subtle changes in water temp as you troll/drift around won't show up- there are any number of "You Tube" DIY videos on how to do it- I have had much success with the "duct seal" putty and would recommend that over most any materials for roto moulded plastic
              "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
              2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
              "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
              Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

Humminbird 386CI or with DI. If you can spend the money, Humminbird 597Ci Di, a bit larger screen. Both have GPS built in. The GPS is great for going with split screen with FF/GPS view.

Comment

You can do what you want but Hummingbird does have a scupper hole transducer that they sell for about $80 although they do have a transducer swap deal where they give you it if you send the transom transducer to them (this is what I plan on doing). Call them if you want.
                  Ocean Kayak Trident 13: Sand

Comment

Thanks for the info. I did some youtube research n saw some good ideas. Also gonna look into switching the transducer exchange. Super excited to get it set up !
                    2014 Hobie Dune Outback
                    Rob

Comment

Working...
                    X