Hummingbird Vs Lowrance Vs . . . . ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hummingbird Vs Lowrance Vs . . . . ?

I have followed some of the MKF FF threads and read several blogs regarding FFs. The best I can boil it all down to is:

1) Hummingbird has great customer service and technical support. Chartplotting and GPS not so much.
    2) Lowannce has great chartplotting and GPS bur their technical and customer service leaves a lot to be desired.
    3) Their doesn't seem to be anyone else who offers the features for the $ that these two do.

I'm looking at the Hummingbird 386 CI DI and the Lowrance elite 4 DSI. They appear to be comparable with the Hummingbird being about $50 more, on average. Do I have to make a choice between two less than ideal providers? Am I wrong in my assessment? Is there some aspect that will tip the scales that I have not considered?

Thanks,

Terry
    Terry Hill

<*)))><{ <*)))><{

<*)))><{

<*)))><{

Santa Cruz RAPTOR

....... and what is wrong with the Hummingbird GPS and Chartplotting? ........ I haven't seen any difference between the Lowrance and the Hummingbird in that respect. I have owned both.

For Kayaks, I like the Hummingbird when it comes to the SI because they do it in the head unit ...... lowrance requires a second box that is not waterproof and another (i think) transducer .......... for the 386 type you can use either. I agree that the Lowrance support is not as good as others ........ but I've always managed because I usually dealt w/Ken Penrod who was the area Lowrance Director.

Comment

Here is my 2 cents. Both make good products. Some people prefer one brand over the other for a particular feature or because of prior experience with one (I have owned primarily Lowrance units, in part because I am familiar with their screens and menus). In reality, they all work once you get the unit properly installed and learn how to set it and use the buttons. Keep in mind that this year's hot model may be discontinued in 2-3 years, with some other model being the new current favorite. While FF/GPS units can help us know where we are and what is underneath the water, the bottom line in fishing is convincing the fish to bite. The electronics can't do that for you (at least not this year's models).

My suggestion: get one in your price range that has the features you want. Then start using it and experiment with some different settings to see if you like them better. If you really don't like the unit, there are plenty of beginning kayakers on here who will buy it from you because they don't already have one.
      John Veil
      Annapolis
      Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

John,

Thanks for the advice.
        Terry Hill

<*)))><{ <*)))><{

<*)))><{

<*)))><{

Santa Cruz RAPTOR

Comment

I got the humminbird 788 with down imaging and was comparing vs a comparable lowrance unit. I found out that the lowrance transducer was huge compared to the humminbird and since I use a wet mount, I didn't want the extra drag in the water. Whether or not it would have made a big difference, I dunno but that tipped the scales for me. I like mine a lot an it works great and I'm sure lowrances are just as great, if they weren't they wouldn't be in business this long.

Light Tackle Kayak Trolling the Chesapeake Bay, Author
          Light Tackle Kayak Jigging the Chesapeake Bay, Author
          Light Tackle Fishing Patterns of the Chesapeake Bay, Author
          Kokatat Pro Staff
          Torqeedo Pro Staff
          Humminbird Pro Staff

2011 Ivory Dune Outback and 2018 Solo Skiff
          Alan

Comment

Raptor,

One difference I found while researching Down imaging units: Humminbird DI units have both DI and standard 2D sonar, whereas Lowrance DSI units are DSI only. Not sure if that is an issue with you...But, some on this forum prefer 2D sonar vs Down Imaging.
            John D.
            2015 Hobie Revolution 13
            GO RAVENS!!!
            GO ORIOLES!!!

Comment

FYI - The Broadneck chapter of MSSA is meeting tonight. The guest speaker will describe side imaging sonar. Here is the description that was posted on Tidalfish -- it is open to anyone, MSSA member or not. I imagine that the speaker will be able to offer some thoughts on down imaging too.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>.

Fish finders / depth finders have come a long way over the years. Some of us older guys will remember the flasher units , then the paper chart , then the newer color units.

Well , the next generation of finders is here - side scan. These units have to be seen to be believed and are becoming more popular each season. They are awesome for spotting structure and fish off to the side of your boat.

The Broad neck / Magothy river chapter of MSSA is proud to present a free seminar - open to public.

On Monday evening - Capt. Ken Lahr of Reel Draggin tackle will explain how to use a side scan , the various brands , tips to catch more fish using a side scan - plus answer any questions.

As a bonus - Reel Draggin tackle will be on sale. Lots of bay and offshore lures at great prices.

Location is : American Legion Post # 175 - 832 Manhattan Beach Rd Severna Park, MD 21146.

Doors open at 7:00 pm and meeting starts at 7:30. We wrap up around 9:00.

Plenty of free parking - entrance is on left side - under the over hang. There is a cash bar - soda , beer , mixed drinks - trust me , you'll love the low prices.
              John Veil
              Annapolis

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

I have always used Humminbird without problems. I have used the 385Ci Di, which was the previous version of what you are considering. It did a great job for me. I moved up to a somewhat larger screen, on the 597, due to the split screen being a bit small on the 385.

Comment

John,

I did not know that - thanks for the info. I was leaning the Humminbird way . . . now even more. Do you like the 386ci DI combo model?

Terry
                  Terry Hill

<*)))><{ <*)))><{

<*)))><{

<*)))><{

Santa Cruz RAPTOR

Comment

Originally posted by Raptor View Post
                    John,

I did not know that - thanks for the info. I was leaning the Humminbird way . . . now even more. Do you like the 386ci DI combo model?

Terry
                    I have no experience with Hummingbird units. Somebody else on the board can probably help you.

You have eyes that are similar in age to mine. Getting the largest screen you can afford will help in seeing the information on the screen -- regardless of brand. Some lower-end units have large pixels (low pixel count) that tend to give grainier images. Check out the pixel count on different units that you are considering. Even better, try to observe them at a store or on someone else's kayak before buying.
                    John Veil
                    Annapolis

Comment

Working...
                    X