A Cast-able 20 Cent Rig + 2 lures for Stripers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Cast-able 20 Cent Rig + 2 lures for Stripers

This is about a homemade cast-able rig (20 cents) with two lures. I am presenting my new rig and the result of the first field trip.

The rig will work for all kinds of fish I think.

Lake Anna stripers are skittish. Even though they are the same Chesapeake Bay strand stripers, they react differently to the typical Chesapeake Bay lures. This made me and other bay striper angles frustrated.

Past 5 trips, I studied and learned the lures for the lake. I found a set of lures that worked for stripers in Lake Anna. I also searched for a rig that can be cast and trolled. I tried Alabama rigs and some homemade lure with teasers. I found that the Alabama rigs, Chesapeake Bay umbrella rig, and my home made rigs weren't quite suitable for all situations - clear vs stained water or sunny day vs cloudy day, etc.

I had two lures on a rig on one rod - I call the rig with two lures tandem rig. Tandem lure rig had been good when I search for the right lures for the day. In Lake Anna, I needed an additional feature on a tandem rig. Cast-able is the additional feature that was needed while searching for the right lures for stripers in Lake Anna.

I finally made the tandem rig that can be cast and can be trolled with light tackles. My tandem rig didn't scare away stripers like Alabama rig. And two lures on my tandem rig don't mate (getting tangled). And My tandem rig won't spin during the trolling.

The only time I removed the heavy jig (duo-lock was used) was When I carried rod vertically. I had no tangle at all.

I will be using the rig for Chesapeake Bay stripers with heavier jigs and bigger lures, and with two different colors on a rig. I will test a few more times with heavier jigs before the spring trophy season opens.

I will be using the current rig for redfish and speckled sea trout. Definitely for flounders.

During the first 6 hour field test, I caught 22stripers

BTW, I learned this. In Lake Anna, use only plain LEAD Jig with no colors. This way you can put any lures you want. Though Pearl Body and sparkles are key.

The instructions and result of the first field test:

Joe
    Fish like there's no tomorrow.
    Youtube UserID: ComeOnFish01 (Over 300 kayak fishing videos in mid-Atlantic (DE, MD & VA)
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKb...JtmNcSJBi2Sazg

Very nice. I'm going to have to try and make one of these. Thanks for the video.

Outback 2015
    Maui

Comment

Looks great! Any chance you could post a tutorial on how to make one of these? I've never worked with wire leaders. Also what test leader did you connect to the wire leader?

2015 Viking Profish Reload

Comment

Joe, thanks for posting another great video and kudos on making a fine rig. The way the rig was acting when you were "jigging" it in your driveway i was waiting for a fish to come thru the asphalt!! Very nice. What is the loop at the "center" of your steel leader between the 10" & 6" arms? Is that simply an OVERHAND KNOT? Regards Wayne
        Jackson - BIG TUNA

Comment

reel-em-in and wfauby,

Some version of web browser don't display text right - I found that yesterday. The wire info is on the video.

Any way, it is Stainless steel leader wire (124# test) by AFW American Fishing Wire (AFW). I got it from Dick's. $3.99 for a 30' package. If you can get thicker one that will be better for the Chesapeake Bay stripers.

The center loop is a simple over-hand knot. Over hand knot spread wire better than haywire twist. (Haywire twist will work well too). When I made the overhand knot I pull the both ends of the wire using a pair of pliers on each side. Then I shapef the loop with a point

The end loop of the arm is done by simple haywire twist.

I will be testing this weekend with heavier jigs for the Bay stripers. I will let you know the result

Joe
          Youtube UserID: ComeOnFish01 (Over 300 kayak fishing videos in mid-Atlantic (DE, MD & VA)

Comment

Joe have you ever tried livelining with herring or are they too large? maybe a herring shaped lure or something similar could work
            Ocean Kayak Trident 13: Sand

Comment

Originally posted by M_Duong60 View Post
              Joe have you ever tried livelining with herring or are they too large? maybe a herring shaped lure or something similar could work
              I love live-lining. I think you are talking about fishing in Lake Anna. I did live-lining in Lake Anna few times. I caught blue-back herring using Sabiki rig and use them for live bait. Marinas sell large minnows for stripers as well as small ones for crappie. At this point, I am into catching them with lures without using scent.

Once spot arrive in the Bay, spot will be my live bait. Sometimes I enjoy more in catching spot than live-lining.

BTW, the tandem rig on the video will be my flounder rig. I will put a cut bait (long strip) on the lower jig (1-2oz) and I will put a live spot on the upper jig (hook)

When you head for DE with a cast net. I want to be there. A whole mullet (or any baitfish) will be my live bait.

joe

Comment

You will need an aerator to keep the mullet alive I think as well as the spot, but you already know that don't you? The mullet don't come in till late June I believe. Once I find out where it is I can tell you but in DE my favorite spot to catch bait is the Delaware bay but it's about 30 minuets from my place in OC but there is a place in OC with a lot of spot and peanut bunker. I have yet to find a place in OC for mullet

At the I usually fish there for spot (many sizes) and croaker that are about 5-8' max. I have not caught many small mullet there but that's because I need to get polarized glasses. I caught very large ones in September and a striper there. I chunked the mullet for blues. Oh and they're also a lot of peanut bunker there as well.

Comment

where can you liveline in DE?

Comment

Originally posted by M_Duong60 View Post
                    where can you liveline in DE?
                    Don't know yet. How about the place you catch mullet or bait? seriously, we will figure out.
                    joe

Comment

I don't know where exactly but there is a small area on coastal highway in Rehoboth. I am meeting my Uncle to tomorrow he might know the address because he goes there often. In general the place is Rehoboth Bay where basically any fish can be caught but not many fish there due to its size. My brother actually caught a keeper spec on fishbites.

Anyway all I really know is that it is on coastal highway and will look into it a bit more later. You might be able to live line at the rt 50 bridge in Maryland I can forward a pm about the area to you if you would like.

Sorry I can't give you more at the moment.

Comment

That is a great looking rig and an even better idea. I'd like to make one myself as it really suits the type of fishing I do when going for stripers. Is that welding wire?
                        Thanks for the tip and the video!

Light Tackle Kayak Trolling the Chesapeake Bay, Author
                        Light Tackle Kayak Jigging the Chesapeake Bay, Author
                        Light Tackle Fishing Patterns of the Chesapeake Bay, Author
                        Kokatat Pro Staff
                        Torqeedo Pro Staff
                        Humminbird Pro Staff

2011 Ivory Dune Outback and 2018 Solo Skiff
                        Alan

Comment

Originally posted by Yak Fish View Post
                          That is a great looking rig and an even better idea. I'd like to make one myself as it really suits the type of fishing I do when going for stripers. Is that welding wire?
                          Thanks for the tip and the video!
                          No.

It is an AFW (American Fishing Wire) stainless steel leader wire (124# test)

Comment

EXCELLENT !!!!!!! ......... love that top loop ........ never saw it done that way but it's actually better than the twist because it add less stress and keeps the lures spread better .......... GREAT IDEA !!!!!!

Also ........ spot is candy ....... mullet is steak ......... my experience is the spot will catch more than mullet if you can keep them lively .........

Comment

Whats your view on eels I have always wanted to try. Have no idea how to catch them though.

Comment

Working...
                              X