Finally Going to do it (FF install)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Finally Going to do it (FF install)

Well after months on contemplating I have finally decided to buy a Lowrance X-4 and mount it on my kayak in the sonar shield. I plan on doing the duct seal method but could use some pointers on installing it into the sonar shield. So if anyone has any advice I will gladly take it.
    Ocean Kayak Trident 13: Sand

Any luck? What's a sonar shield anyway?
    Mike S.
    Hobie Outback
    Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers
    3D Printed Hobie Hatch Bucket

Comment

Originally posted by chexone View Post
      Any luck? What's a sonar shield anyway?
      That is a compartment that you install your ff head unit on to hide it under cover if necessary. It's a feature on ocean kayaks.
      Sun Fishin'

Comment

Look on YouTube for the duct seal method. It's pretty straight forward.

Comment

Originally posted by Sun View Post
          That is a compartment that you install your ff head unit on to hide it under cover if necessary. It's a feature on ocean kayaks.
          Neato.
          Mike S.
          Hobie Outback
          Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers
          3D Printed Hobie Hatch Bucket

Comment

Well I have everything except for silicone grease to keep it corrosion free. Although I have no idea how to connect the unit to the battery can someone help?

Comment

Minh

Battery connections are easy, the red lead goes to the positive/+ terminal and the black to the negative. When I first bought my X4 I used 8 AA cells in a holder I purchased at Radio Shack. They also sell the connectors to snap on the battery holder. 8 cells provide 12 volts when new. They lose power with use, your fish finder will work when the batteries provide anything more than 9 volts. You can use crimp type connectors, marine quality connectors are recommended as they have conductive silicone in them that squirts out when you squeeze them and the insulation is shrink rap so shrink it with a heat gun or lighter. You can also solder connections and put shrink rap or liquid tape over them. The X4 comes with a fuse holder, that should be inserted in the positive (red) lead between the battery and the fish finder. I switched to a lead acid burglar alarm battery this year. It is a sealed lead acid cell and works for many hours between charges. If you purchase one of those batteries you should purchase a smart charger like the Battery Tender which monitors battery voltage and does not overcharge the battery as if you boil off the electrolyte you can not add water to keep it operational owing to the fact the battery is sealed. Overcharging boils off the electrolyte/water. Radio Shack sells connectors that are compatible with the battery tender so you can wire up your battery and fish finder and easily disconnect the battery from your finder and connect it to the charger. If you need to extend the wire on your finder to locate the battery further away from the fish finder you should use marine grade wire like you can purchase at West Marine. West Marine sells wire with an sheathing over the pair in sizes from 12 gauge to 22 gauge. You need 18 or 20 gauge for the extension.

I used the duct seal method on my Hobie and it seems to work well with one exception. If I put the kayak on my truck raps upside down as recommended by Hobie the transducer seems to vibrate loose. That can usually be fixed by remembering to push it back down into the duct seal prior to launch. You will know if it has come lose as it just doesn't show the depth to the bottom. The Hobie has a sail mount and I have mounted my transducer just aft of the tube that penetrates the deck for the sale. That lets me use a cable tie to support the mount of the transducer. The down side to any through hull mounting method is that the temperature sensor is virtually useless. I've also found that on days when the kayak interior and hence the fish finder are much warmer than the water that stuff might not seem to work until the duct seal cools down.

Good luck on your install, I hope this helps,
              TTYaker

Comment

Ok thanks still confused but am going to walk around radio shack looking for stuff.

Comment

Hi Minh. I have the Lowrance X-4, it was installed in the kayak before being shipped to my house. It has been somewhat of a roller coaster for me. Not the FF itself, but the installation results. I have a current thread labeled "transducer issuess" located in the dry dock section. This thread will tell you what NOT to do.....good luck
                  2015 OLIVE HOBIE OUTBACK
                  2013 OLIVE HOBIE OUTBACK
                  2013 OCEAN KAYAK TRIDENT 13

JEREMY D

Comment

Have the connections in all thats left is to install the unit

Comment

Minh go to Homedepot's electrical section they will have everything needed. I just came back from there. I have to do the wiring setup for my new Lowrance elite 4 x base. I picked up grommets, amp connectors and amp female disconnects.

The grommet is to put into the watertight container where I will be putting the 10ah battery. The amp connectors will be used to run the connection from the battery inside the watertight container to the outside where I can plug and unplug into the battery. The amp female connector is going to be used inside the container to connect to the battery and hold an inline 3amp fuse which is recommed.

I'm waiting on my atc inline fuse to arrive still. Once I have that I can set it all up and post pictures of how I set mine up.
                      Last edited by Goody; 03-16-2013, 06:11 PM.

Outback 2015
                      Maui

Comment

to late haha I just clipped it on with a terminal connector. I too will post my setup but it wont be anything new

Comment

Finished! thanks to all that gave me advice all was taken into consideration. Putting the drill to my kayak must have been the scariest thing I have done so far. Not sure if it works though I am using the duct seal method and although I know it isn't going to show what it is supposed to out of water but on the screen it keeps repeating a 1cm long image.

Comment

Working...
                          X