Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Trolling Motor Thrust Question - Does Thrust Matter On A Kayak?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trolling Motor Thrust Question - Does Thrust Matter On A Kayak?

I've been thinking about setting up a trolling motor on my kayak as an option and have gotten various comments when it comes to how many pound thrust a trolling motor should be when used on a kayak.

I've heard some say that the pro for a higher thrust is that kayak can go faster at the higher speeds. I'm trying to stick with a 12V trolling motor and I think 50 or 55 lb thrust is the maxiumum before you have to go to 24V. The cons I see with this is that they are more expensive, weigh more, usually have a longer shaft, and maybe runs the battery out faster (of course, depends on how you often and what speed is used).

I've heard others say, the above pro is not really correct as the thrust is just for initial propulsion from a stand still but once it gets going, it doesn't make the kayak go any faster (sounds like a torque vs horsepower discussion). So if you have heavy loaded kayak or a tandem, then a higher thrust might make more sense because it will get the kayak moving from a standstill faster but it won't make the kayak go any faster once it's moving than say a 30 lb thrust trolling motor. Other pros for lower thrust trolling motors is that they are usually less in weight, come with shorter shaft options, and may last longer because they don't draw as much juice from the battery.

Most of the discussions above have been theoretical and not from people who have actual experience. What are your thoughts and experiences.? I'm especially interested to hear from those who've experimented with different thrust trolling motors and their experiences.

For a point in reference, I'm looking to a trolling motor as an option for my Revo 13 when I'm solo and Oasis when I may have another angler with me.

As always, many thanks in advance for your helpful input/advice.

FG
    Last edited by Financeguru; 03-13-2013, 04:34 PM. Reason: spelling correction

Yeah, it was explained before by Don (DOGFISH), who has owned motorized kayaks for quite some times now that the higher thrust rating will get you going faster, and helps in faster speed recovery when taking on waves/wake. It may not ALWAYS equate to higher top speeds. Factors such as propeller & hull design play a role in top speed. You'd be moving along quite nicely in a Revo though, I'm sure.
    <insert witty comment here>

Comment

more power than speed 24 volt is overkill for a yak especially when you HAVE to carry that 120lbs of battery weight ..........

it will help you power through waves but the prop will only spin so fast .....

Comment

To give you a data point. For nearly two years I used a 30# Minn Kota on my Trident 13. With a 50# 75 amp-hr battery, I could be on the water for up to 10 hours. Of course I used my paddle and carefully managed battery power. Once in a while, I would face headwinds and chops. This slowed me down, and my motor probably wouldn't recovery as quickly (compared to a larger class motor, if I had one), but I still moved forward well. Of course, with a larger motor I would also drain the battery faster. So, do you really need to recover quickly with a larger motor? For me, not really.

I don't use the motor anymore because I prefer my Outback, but if I went back to it, I would still use the 30# class motor because it's light and a power-miser. Even if you went tandem, I would think the 40# motor is enough. Why do you need more torque? I personally prefer lower amp draw. I also prefer to augment the electric system with paddling.
        Last edited by tufnik; 03-13-2013, 07:13 PM.
        2015 Hobie Outback (yellow)
        2011 Hobie Outback (yellow)
        2009 OK Prowler Trident 13 Angler (orange)

Comment

MetroMan put it in a nutshell. The flat prop of an electric trolling motor tops out quickly. Your selection depends alot on where you are fishing and what kayak you are using. For the bay, I like the 55 lb thrust. As explained, it recovers faster following waves and in chop. Keep in mind that I was using an Ocean Kayak Big Game, which is a wide kayak. I started out with a 30lb thrust and moved up to a 55lb thrust. I only gained about .7 of a MPH. With a narrow kayak the 30lb thrust will give you longer run times. Whatever motor you get, you should try to use a 105 AH battery. Digital motors also will give you longer run times. For trolling, battery consumption is important.

Good luck with you selection.

Comment

Trolling motors draw twice the power at top speed for little more in speed. I am installing a 40 on my prowler with 5 forward speeds and will probably only run it on 3 normally unless I need extra power. Running on 5 eats a lot of battery for about 1 mph like dogfish wrote. Save battery with patience.

I don't think you'll see a lot of difference with an extra angler. Wetted surface is what slows boats down. Resistance in the water. 1" of more wetted surface on the side of a yak is next to nothing compared to a job or bay boat.
            "If you can't have fun doing it, it ain't worth doing." ... or you're just doing it wrong.

My Blog "Confessions of a fisherman, hunter and tinkerer"

Comment

Additional weight will make a difference ...........

Comment

Thanks for everyone's input, it helps a great deal to get experienced perspectives. One thing I didn't think about but a few of you alluded to is the battery power.

I also heard that if I put a trolling motor on my kayak, even if temporary and not permanent, then I'll have to get the kayak titled/registered in Virginia. Is it the same for Maryland and DC? I'm only thinking of using a trolling motor when I have to go long distances, not majority of the time. Anyone know how strictly the Parks check and enforce this for kayaks with temp trolling motors?

Comment

Yep ....... must have the #'s if you are using a motor ....... and I think you have to pay a 5% 1 time tax/fee if you didn't buy it new and pay sales tax in MD or something like that ........

Comment

I don't mind paying or the red tape in registering, I just don't like putting the stickers on my hull.

In addition, if it's only one trolling motor that I'll potentially use on my Revo or Oasis, then I have to register/title two kayaks? Would make more sense to register the trolling motor and put the stickers on that since it's what's causing the titling/registration.

Comment

Yes they in force it. I got a warning from the local ranger years ago while testing a mount on a canoe 10 years ago. If you have your bill of sale it's cheaper. If not, you pay tax again.
                      "If you can't have fun doing it, it ain't worth doing." ... or you're just doing it wrong.

My Blog "Confessions of a fisherman, hunter and tinkerer"

Comment

asa

I remember seeing one of the guys on the forum who had his registration numbers on the crate he was using to support the motor mount.... So no numbers on boat.

As far as needing to register two boats for one motor, I would give VA DGIF a call and ask them.

By the way how do you plan on mounting it?

Minh found this set-up and posted it on the forum a couple of months ago... it's interesting and uses a small motor...
                        www.youtube.com/watch?v=07f-Ojs2bUs
                        -Mustafa
                        ابو مسقوف AbuMasgouf (Aboo-Mas-goof ): Fish Roast Papa
                        2016 Hobie Outback
                        2012 Hobie Revolution 13
                        "Be humble to whomever you learn from and whomever you teach."-- Imam al-Sadiq (as)

Comment

I think the registration is for the boat not the motor. I you share a motor between two boats, then you have to register both.

Comment

Originally posted by moc View Post
                            I think the registration is for the boat not the motor. I you share a motor between two boats, then you have to register both.

True indeed, unfortunately. The registration is linked to the Hull ID
                            <insert witty comment here>

Comment

That trolling motor mount is very interesting in that video !

Comment

Working...
                              X