Waterproofing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Waterproofing

seems like most kayaks start getting minor leaks around the scuppers- just a thought, but why not spray foam into the interior hull area around the scuppers and fill that completely up with expanded foam?
    "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
    2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
    "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
    Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

I had a small leak leak in one of my scuppers in my Trident. I just filled the seam (from the hole side, not from the inside of the yak) with Goop. I still get some water, but not as much as before. I got about a cupful after an outing, which is normal according to the Ocean Kayak web site. I think the water seeps in from screw holes, hatches, etc.

Seal up the scupper? I wonder if the water surges through the holes add to the kayak's stability.

Or maybe you're talking about applying foam from the interior of the yak around the scupper tube? In that case, it doesn't seem like you can get a good seal.
    2015 Hobie Outback (yellow)
    2011 Hobie Outback (yellow)
    2009 OK Prowler Trident 13 Angler (orange)

Comment

Found this on youtube seems like a good way to plug a leak in the scupper holes...
      Ocean Kayak Trident 13: Sand

Comment

Tuf- Looking at the You Tube repairs with split PVC/Goop- wow! really good repair and one that adds rigidity to the scuppers for scupper carts- I might do it just as a precaution- just because- After looking at the area inside the kayak- it would be hard to seal it up with expanding urethane foam- no walls for it to adhere to-
        Last edited by ronaultmtd; 03-18-2013, 06:18 AM.
        "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
        2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
        "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
        Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

Working...
        X