No announcement yet.

Building a battery storage for my Hobie Outback

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have an unused area in front of my port-side foot rest (I have a paddle, not pedal drive kayak). I place a 5 amp-hr battery in a Tupperware box with the power leads running from under the front hatch cover. I clip them on, close the Tupperware lid, and am good to go. I just received a larger and more powerful battery from another MKF member to try out. I will need to think about where and how I can place the new battery.

009.jpg 010.jpg 011.jpg
    John Veil
    Annapolis
    Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Hi, just read through the whole thread, I am getting some great ideas. I am currently in the process of installing a x4 pro and was hoping anyone have any suggestions for a battery? Or anyone have an extra one I can buy?
      Hobie Revolution 13

Comment

The battery I used is a jet ski starting battery at Walmart, 36$ the drybox found in the outdoor section was 8$ and the waterproof plug was 21$ at west marine. If you wanted to go my route. I grabbed the packing materials and screws for the plug at work. Pretty cheap setup I have. If you wanted to go that route. johns setup looks pretty straight forward and easy enough if you wanted to do that.
        Jason

-2017 ivory dune pro angler 12' with micro power pole, Lowrance EliteTI7, boonedox landing gear
        -2015 olive outback with Lowrance Hook7,micro power pole, seadek kit, micro power pole
        -Orange Heritage featherlite

Comment

I am prob going to go your route but was thinking about getting 8AA batteries with no drill holes. Do you think that is a bad idea?
          Hobie Revolution 13

Comment

I have the same set up as reelaxin, but it is just behind the opening for the mirage drive. Same box, same plugs from hobie, being there are 2 sets in the pack. Saw it when grilled posted his pics. I went in through the center hatch, used some foam cut outs and double sided tape to hold it all down. So far so good.

I'd find a battery somewhere. The AA set up works great. Just have to change batteries when they start to go. With a battery, you can go out a few times on it, with out recharging.

Comment

Yeah what echo5 said. Kayakfishinggear.com has plugs for wires to seal out water. Mines on its way. 10$ later and before I used a scupper plug. Don't be scared to drill holes in your kayak, you can always seal it back up and if u have a solid setup you will never need to make new holes.
              Jason

-2017 ivory dune pro angler 12' with micro power pole, Lowrance EliteTI7, boonedox landing gear
              -2015 olive outback with Lowrance Hook7,micro power pole, seadek kit, micro power pole
              -Orange Heritage featherlite

Comment

Earlier this afternoon, I posted pictures of my original battery location. I mentioned that I had just received a new larger battery from another MKF member. I searched the garage and basement for odds and ends that would allow me to put together a similar battery storage box to hold the larger battery (I take great delight in creating functional gadgets out of odd parts). Here is what I came up with:

I found a heavy plastic tub that previously held potato salad from Sams Club. The new battery fits completely inside the tub when set on end. I placed a small piece of dense foam on the bottom of the tub as a pad and brace. Then I hooked the power leads to the terminals and set the battery inside the tub. I dropped a rubber bushing down either side to fill the gap and minimize rattling. Then I snapped the lid closed and set the tub in front of my port-side footrest. I fired up the sonar/gps to see if it worked. On the data output screen of the unit, it showed 11.8 volts of power -- not bad for a battery that I had not yet charged.

large battery 002.jpg large battery 003.jpg large battery 004.jpg large battery 005.jpg large battery 006.jpg large battery 007a.jpg

I am eager to give the new setup a try. Many thanks to daddyg for the battery pack and for russ498 for dropping it off. That is one more example of the friendship and generosity shown by MKF members.
                John Veil
                Annapolis
                Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Originally posted by Jaspratt View Post
                  [ATTACH=CONFIG]6005[/ATTACH]
                  I'm sure ill get bashed for this but i dont care and im not going to change it, it works greAt for me.. But this is how I keep battery in my outback to power my "elite5 dsi". The white around the dry box is some kinda of plastic packing foam. 1" thick I cut a pocket out to snugly fit the dry box and I used Velcro like a belt to strap it to the sail attachment. I have drove hrs with it like that then into the water with it and it stays where it sits. Powers the unit all day no problems
                  why would you get bashed ...... that looks GREAT!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Jaspratt View Post
                    [ATTACH=CONFIG]6005[/ATTACH]
                    I'm sure ill get bashed for this but i dont care and im not going to change it, it works greAt for me.. But this is how I keep battery in my outback to power my "elite5 dsi". The white around the dry box is some kinda of plastic packing foam. 1" thick I cut a pocket out to snugly fit the dry box and I used Velcro like a belt to strap it to the sail attachment. I have drove hrs with it like that then into the water with it and it stays where it sits. Powers the unit all day no problems
                    Bro, like Chexone said... this isn't a site where you would get bashed... Everyone here is always appreciative of new ideas and different setups.... and if by chance someone doesn't like it, who cares... it works for you and when you're on the water, you're the only one that counts!

As for cost... if you can get something that works well and it's cheap... well in my book that's genius!

I would for one, be interested if you have a tutorial of how you did it (drilling, splicing, and all). My set-up right now is large bubble wrap around the battery and inside a dry bag that I put around the mast pole... it works great and I haven't had any problems... I'm always interested in other ways because I may prefer someone else's method so I'll update mine.

Thanks for sharing your setup bro!
                    -Mustafa
                    ابو مسقوف AbuMasgouf (Aboo-Mas-goof ): Fish Roast Papa
                    2016 Hobie Outback
                    2012 Hobie Revolution 13
                    "Be humble to whomever you learn from and whomever you teach."-- Imam al-Sadiq (as)

Comment

finished my battery storage setup- I was going to drill and bolt things, but at the last moment- I found an insulated lunch bag that I used to carry my lunches on charters in Florida last summer- it is a nylon bag with insulation and a zippered top- the 12v 12ah battery fits neatly and snugly inside and I used two stainless screws on the strap handle to secure it on the inside of my forward hatch- a clean, neat and secure battery that is plenty powerful to power my electronics
                      "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
                      2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
                      "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
                      Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

Pics please... If you get a chance. Good thread.

Originally posted by ronaultmtd View Post
                        finished my battery storage setup- I was going to drill and bolt things, but at the last moment- I found an insulated lunch bag that I used to carry my lunches on charters in Florida last summer- it is a nylon bag with insulation and a zippered top- the 12v 12ah battery fits neatly and snugly inside and I used two stainless screws on the strap handle to secure it on the inside of my forward hatch- a clean, neat and secure battery that is plenty powerful to power my electronics
                        Don Haller
                        Chesapeake Beach, MD
                        Blaze Orange, Jackson Kayak "Cuda 14"

“There can’t be good living, where there is not good drinking.”
                        – Benjamin Franklin

Comment

On the Hobies, you can also convert the round hatch insert into a battery box. I think it was Rick who had done that sort of thing. It looked kind of nice.

Get Bashed ??? We don't need no stinking bashers here!
                          Last edited by DOGFISH; 03-25-2013, 02:44 AM.

Comment

Working...
                          X