Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fishfinder HELP

IMG_1309.jpgIMG_1310.jpgIMG_1311.jpg

Hi, I think I have some problems with my fishfinder. I was just testing my Lowrance x4 Pro in my bathroom and I was not sure what I was supposed to be seeing.

A lot of times, I was seeing what this guy was seeing in the beginning (youtube link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=umtinnYcjnI)

I was testing it at less than 1 foot of water (maybe that's why this thing is showing strange things - not sure)

Well, was just wondering if my unit is defective or not because it shows sometimes that I was in 5 ft of water and other times 60 ft of water. The monochrome scheming was really strange too.
    Hobie Revolution 13

Small world... I just installed this same finder in my yak yesterday. I had the same issues with the unit while trying to test it in a bucket of water....So before I permanently mounted it, I tried it out in a creek. I was concerned it was defective as well but after testing it in a real environment it worked fine.

Comment

Yup it will work fine once on the water. The same thing happened to me as well anyway as long as it it mounted right it should be fine.
      Ocean Kayak Trident 13: Sand

Comment

Thank you! Just wanted to make sure that I didn't have some defective unit. And yes, it is a small world!

Mduong, thanks for the confirmation!

Hope to meet both of you on the water!
        Hobie Revolution 13

Comment

Hey fish, did you fix the transducer inside or outside your kayak? I am putting mine inside...what product did you (or anyone else out there)use to install it. The last thing I have to do is install the transducer permanently but am holding off until I figure out what product to use for sure. I have heard to use Marine Goop or Lexel. Just curious what you used or if anybody has a suggestion.

For the most part, I have followed this guy's instructions.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oq1Dj5MrDYA
          Last edited by Poolz1; 03-31-2013, 02:37 PM.

Comment

I saw that video but did not think that was a very good way to install the transducer. I have seen many videos and I am pretty sure I will do it by duct seal method. I will run the wire through the front hatch (no drill method) and I am goin to run the wire to the middle of the kayak so I can set it and adjust the transducer through the center hatch.

The duct seal method is just making a temporary well that will submerge your transducer inside a "well". This will make sure you can quickly remove and put together your set up for every use. This well method is good because it will secure it so that no bubbles will come about. I know there is a permanent well method using a PVC but I wanted to be able to quickly remove and assemble my set up for transport. Comeonfish has a nice layout and explanation of this method. I saw his videos quite a lot. Again, it is the duct seal method.
            Hobie Revolution 13

Comment

I have used goop on 4 different yak with no problem. But I have seen different set ups like the duck seal they all work if you do it right. I just installed the Liberator set up from HOOK1 for my Elite 4 DSI. Going out this week for a test ride I will post.
              Mike and son Jeffrey Yellow Hobie Pro Angler
              Olive Hobie Outback

Comment

A few weeks ago I finished up a post in dry dock named "transducer issues", basically it was a log of FF troubleshooting for myself. I had my transducer installed with marine goop before my kayak was shipped to my house. Poor results due to air bubbles. I ended up reinstalling myself with duct seal and had better results. I am in no position to knock marine goop installs since this is my first yak, but personally I like the duct seal. Plenty of pictures in the post with screenshots and installation process.

Originally posted by Poolz1 View Post
                Hey fish, did you fix the transducer inside or outside your kayak? I am putting mine inside...what product did you (or anyone else out there)use to install it. The last thing I have to do is install the transducer permanently but am holding off until I figure out what product to use for sure. I have heard to use Marine Goop or Lexel. Just curious what you used or if anybody has a suggestion.

For the most part, I have followed this guy's instructions.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oq1Dj5MrDYA
                2015 OLIVE HOBIE OUTBACK
                2013 OLIVE HOBIE OUTBACK
                2013 OCEAN KAYAK TRIDENT 13

JEREMY D

Comment

Man, glad I asked. I did not come across the duct seal method when I was searching around. After some reading, it sounds like both methods will work but I def like the idea that the duct seal it is not permanent. I have already fixed a piece of foam in the location I want the transducer and have a hole cut in it so the transducer fits snug. I'll give the duct seal a try and test it out. Thanks.

Comment

Yeah! Hope it works out! Let us know how it goes. Duct seal is sold in both Home Depot and ace hardware for around 2-3 dollars.
                    Hobie Revolution 13

Comment

Originally posted by Fish View Post
                      Yeah! Hope it works out! Let us know how it goes. Duct seal is sold in both Home Depot and ace hardware for around 2-3 dollars.
                      I should be able to post results tomorrow...Got duct seal in the garage and a creek in the back yard that has a few nice holes for testing it out.

Comment

Originally posted by sparky1423 View Post
                        A few weeks ago I finished up a post in dry dock named "transducer issues", basically it was a log of FF troubleshooting for myself. I had my transducer installed with marine goop before my kayak was shipped to my house. Poor results due to air bubbles. I ended up reinstalling myself with duct seal and had better results. I am in no position to knock marine goop installs since this is my first yak, but personally I like the duct seal. Plenty of pictures in the post with screenshots and installation process.
                        Great info! So, the duct seal worked for you...not using the "well" technique? If I dont make a well, should I seat the transducer all the way to the floor of the kayak or leave a thin bed of seal under the transducer? Or maybe it doesn't matter?

Comment

Correct, not using the well technique. The well technique will give you better readings, but for one...I don't want to worry about losing water inside the well due to choppy conditions or hard banking from left to right reaching my milk crate. Second, it's an entry level FF, it's reading is only so accurate.

I made a thick pancake about 3/4" thick and nestled the transducer inside the pancake enough to mobilize it. Then I curled up the sides completely around the transducer, making sure there were no air gaps present. I ended up using the entire 1# brick of duct seal by almost completely surround the transducer from top to bottom. At no point does the transducer touch the plastic of the kayak. I spent a few extra minutes tightly forming the duct seal to ensure a proper installation. This might be overkill, but that's just my style.

Other members might have different or better installations with duct seal, but my readings have been accurate and consistent. It will take a few hours to get a true water temperature reading with this type of install, but you can always ask a partner for the proper temp readings.

Originally posted by Poolz1 View Post
                          Great info! So, the duct seal worked for you...not using the "well" technique? If I dont make a well, should I seat the transducer all the way to the floor of the kayak or leave a thin bed of seal under the transducer? Or maybe it doesn't matter?
                          2015 OLIVE HOBIE OUTBACK
                          2013 OLIVE HOBIE OUTBACK
                          2013 OCEAN KAYAK TRIDENT 13

JEREMY D

Comment

Yes! That is great info. I will try both the well technique and your technique to see the difference!
                            Hobie Revolution 13

Comment

I installed a transducer last December in just the way that Sparky described using a full stick of duct seal putty. Here are two photos showing how it looked.

001_3.jpg 002_3.jpg

The sonar readings I get were good enough to show a 1-oz jighead moving up and down as I drifted along at Jonas Green.

002.jpg

That is good enough resolution for me. I have used the kayak at least 20 times since the installation -- all in cold weather. There is no evidence that the duct seal has loosened.
                              John Veil
                              Annapolis
                              Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Working...
                              X