R&D rod holder

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• R&D rod holder

Finally got a chance to do some rigging on my kayak after purchasing it back in February..Weather and work has not allowed me to take her out and get her slimed or wet..Got the rod holders in place but need to test them out before glueing them in place. Next on the list is the fish finder I have an idea of where and how its just goin to take a couple of hours at Lowes to play with the pieces to make it work. LOL
    Attached Files
    Yellow Hobie Outback 2013
    Asian Anglerz
    TexasKayakFisherman

Looks good what model FF were you planning on getting?
    Ocean Kayak Trident 13: Sand

Comment

I finished mine up for my outback last night. Let the glue set and then tonight I'm going to add stainless screws at some of the high pressure points especially on the trolling rod holders.IMG_3854.jpgIMG_3855.jpg
      Shane
      Hobie Outback

Comment

great tip their reelaxin10.. i think i need to that as well...dont know yet havent looked at any FF models yet but im looking to spend $300-$350 for one...any suggestions minh? debating if i should get the one with GPS or not..if i get the VHF with gps then dont need it on the FF...
        Asian Anglerz
        TexasKayakFisherman

Comment

If you have the money you can spend it. However I have a cheap$80 Lowrance X-4 and it works just fine. Joe (ComeOnFish) doesn't use expensive FF's either. It was actually him who said to stay cheap because they work practically as well as the higher end sonar. However if you like DI then go for it. I plan on just using a compass to navigate as opposed to a GPS. Anyway I know if you get the X-4 or somthing similar you should be able to simple install a FF in the mast hole with a piece of PVC and have it be non permanent.

Comment

From the pics they look a little high. Maybe it's just the angle of the pic. Just remember that you're gonna have to pull the rod butt up even higher. Looks good though. I would just contemplate making it lower, it will make grabbing your rods a lot easier... especially if you're trolling.

I can't really speak on FF's. I'm no expert and I went with the cheapest one I could just about a PirahnaMax 160. It does it's job well! No complaints from me! But I am still learning how to use it, that was my first one! Even after reading the manual I was still lost! Having stated that, I do now wish I had one with a tad bigger screen AND GPS. GPS isn't necessary, but could be really cool to check waypoints and where fish produce. Especially if it's out in open water without anywhere to get a good bearing. Humminbird actually has a PirahnaMax unit with internal GPS! And it runs less than $150! So you got a lot of options from lower end to mid grade stuff with your price point. It would really be cool if a store had a loaner program or something like it so you can actually try the units on the water. That would make narrowing it down much easier.

MYT

Comment

Paddle4fish, your rod holder looks really high. Can you reach the rods when sitting?
              Mike S.
              Hobie Outback
              Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers
              3D Printed Hobie Hatch Bucket

Comment

I echo the previous comments about the height of the rocket launcher. Others have mentioned that in an elevated rod holder, it may be hard to reach it from a sitting position, particularly if you are trolling and have a fish on. I agree, but want to offer another concern. If you are using the rocket launcher solely for rod and accessory storage, then there is little strain on the plastic. However, if you are planning to troll one or more rods, particularly if you are targeting large fish, the strain of a large fish pulling against a rod that has such a long lever arm from where the rocket launcher enters the kayak could break the PVC of the rocket launcher or damage the flush mount fitting on your kayak.

To the extent that you can redesign to allow the rocket launcher to sit on the rear deck or have minimal elevation you will have a stronger and more readily accessible rig.
                John Veil
                Annapolis
                Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Originally posted by chexone View Post
                  Paddle4fish, your rod holder looks really high. Can you reach the rods when sitting?
                  Damn man, you your going to have to watch the clearance going under bridges. What are you putting under it for them to be that high?
                  "If you can't have fun doing it, it ain't worth doing." ... or you're just doing it wrong.

My Blog "Confessions of a fisherman, hunter and tinkerer"

Comment

i havent tested it out on the reaching part.. my seat still has the tags on them..once i can get it off the rack and try it out i have to cut them down a bit..nothing is glue together only trying it on to make sure it'll fit on the kayak..i saw reelaxin10 rod holder design and im goin to incorporate the design with mine..i just stuck 2 left over pieces in just to take a pic for the rocket launchers..lol....goin to make the rocket launches just like reelaxin10 low.. i was hoping to shoot fire from the rocket launches for the dragonboat races...lol...thanks for the input.. now to work on the FF...
                    Asian Anglerz
                    TexasKayakFisherman

Comment

Glad to help, I got the idea from several others on this forum and took bits and pieces from each design to incorporate in to mine. If you search "PVC rod holders" on here you'll see a few others designs you might want to look at.
                      Shane
                      Hobie Outback

Comment

Abumasgouf had made a tutorial on reelaxin10 rod holder design a while back If you can find that thread I might be helpful....

Here it is however it looks like different dimensions were used but same basic idea. http://www.snaggedline.com/showthrea...ght=Rod+holder

Comment

great stuff! Thats the fun part rigging but wants to get on the water to do some fishing...
                          Asian Anglerz
                          TexasKayakFisherman

Comment

Working...
                          X