Kayak Anchor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kayak Anchor

Do you guys use rivets or screws? I need to install mine just curious..

To attach the cleat?

Nuts and bolts, or well nuts if you can't access the inside.

A quick-release cleat is best, IMO. And an anchor trolley is highly recommended.
    Mike S.
    Hobie Outback
    Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers
    3D Printed Hobie Hatch Bucket

Comment

Originally posted by chexone View Post
      To attach the cleat?

Nuts and bolts, or well nuts if you can't access the inside.

A quick-release cleat is best, IMO. And an anchor trolley is highly recommended.
      I have the trolley I was figuring how to put it on there nuts ill go with do you seal it with anything

Comment

Nuts and bolts: seal with marine goop.

Well nuts are self-sealing.

Do you have a cleat?
        Mike S.
        Hobie Outback

Comment

Nuts and bolts: seal with marine goop.

Well nuts are self-sealing.

Do you have a cleat?
          No i dont know what a cleat is can you link me to one?

Comment

The cleat is what actually fastens the anchor line to your kayak. The anchor trolley allows you to change the 'pressure point' so that you can face INTO the current, AWAY from the current, or sideways.

See here: http://www.snaggedline.com/showthrea...t=Anchor+cleat
            Mike S.
            Hobie Outback

Comment

The cleat is what actually fastens the anchor line to your kayak. The anchor trolley allows you to change the 'pressure point' so that you can face INTO the current, AWAY from the current, or sideways.

See here: http://www.snaggedline.com/showthrea...t=Anchor+cleat
              Gotcha understand now which one did you end up getting?

Comment

I got a Harken cam cleat http://www.jamestowndistributors.com...51900&type=pla
                Mike S.
                Hobie Outback

Comment

What's size did you get ? Also what size is your anchor ?

Comment

I think I got the 150 (standard)

I think my anchor is 3 pounds
                    Mike S.
                    Hobie Outback

Comment

I have a newbie question (I don't have much experience with anchoring... I have a anchor trolly with a ring in the middle, an anchor and a clip in the rope (that slides up and down), and a cleat (built into 2012 Hobie revo right side pocket). How do I set up my anchor so that I can quick release it? Right now I clip the rope to the ring in the trolly, and I lock the rope with the cleat and the excess is in 'rope hanger' it came in. I usually have my ring in the back (anchoring in the back). If I wanted to quick release I would have to pull the achor trolly up to bring the ring closer, un-clip from the ring, and pull the rope from the cleat. Is that the best way?

Sorry for the complicated question, this would be much easier if someone just showed me
                      -Mustafa
                      ابو مسقوف AbuMasgouf (Aboo-Mas-goof ): Fish Roast Papa
                      2016 Hobie Outback
                      2012 Hobie Revolution 13
                      "Be humble to whomever you learn from and whomever you teach."-- Imam al-Sadiq (as)

Comment

Originally posted by AbuMasgouf View Post
                        I have a newbie question (I don't have much experience with anchoring... I have a anchor trolly with a ring in the middle, an anchor and a clip in the rope (that slides up and down), and a cleat (built into 2012 Hobie revo right side pocket). How do I set up my anchor so that I can quick release it? Right now I clip the rope to the ring in the trolly, and I lock the rope with the cleat and the excess is in 'rope hanger' it came in. I usually have my ring in the back (anchoring in the back). If I wanted to quick release I would have to pull the achor trolly up to bring the ring closer, un-clip from the ring, and pull the rope from the cleat. Is that the best way?
                        Remove that clip from the rope. It's not needed. Pass your rope through the anchor trolley ring and cleat it. It helps to have a float on your rope, so that if you do have to quick-release, you can find your anchor

Mike S.
                        Hobie Outback

Comment

Originally posted by AbuMasgouf View Post
                          and a cleat (built into 2012 Hobie revo right side pocket).
                          FYI, I'm pretty sure the cleat you are referring to is actually intended to cleat your rudder-down shock cord. In some circumstances, the rudder may not function properly unless cleated.
                          Mike S.
                          Hobie Outback

Comment

great illustration Mike

Comment

Dude that's a cool sketch! Did you just throw that together?

Ok that makes a lot of sense. I can replace my ring with the clip that's now on the rope so I can easily put my line through it like the image. My excess rope is on the 'rope hanger' (you know the thing the ropes sometimes are wrapped around when you buy them), so if I were to quick release my rope from the cleat wouldn't that get stuck on the clip/carabiner? What do you do with the excess? Also, with the set-up in the image, where would you put your float? Would you secure it or would it be free floating? and if free floating would you just knot the end or something to prevent it from slipping out?

Thanks for your help bro!
                              -Mustafa
                              ابو مسقوف AbuMasgouf (Aboo-Mas-goof ): Fish Roast Papa
                              2016 Hobie Outback
                              2012 Hobie Revolution 13
                              "Be humble to whomever you learn from and whomever you teach."-- Imam al-Sadiq (as)

Comment

Working...
                              X