Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tying kayak to roof rack

Hi guys,

Long time lurker, first time poster because I'm about to buy a kayak and have a question about transporting it. I'm planning on buying a aftermarket rack system such as Thule or Yakima and I'm wondering if a kayak carrier add-on is necessary. Can I tie directly on to the rack or is a carrier recommended. Also do you guys tie down the bow and stern to the frond and end of the car too?

Thanks!

Kayak cradles are not absolutely necessary compared to foam blocks on roof rack cross bars but will make transporting your kayak easier and probably less time consuming. You can do it either way. The same goes with bow and stern tie downs. I believe they are important and will always use them, but many other members are comfortable not using them -- and they have been successful transporting their kayaks that way.
    John Veil
    Annapolis
    Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Welcome and congrats on the first post. I would recommend the carrier as well as the roof rack, but you don't need it. Just be careful about over tightening and putting dents in your yak. One thing to at least get, if your pocket can't stretch for the carriers, are pool noodles. At least get something between the bar and your yak. I don't use bow or stern straps but I only have a 12' yak and my Forester has a decent amount of space between the bars. I would go with the straps if I had a 16' but that's just me.
      -Jon
      Revo 13

Comment

I transport mine upside down on a Yakima rack with gunwale brackets. Been working great and is low profile.
        Mike S.
        Hobie Outback
        Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers
        3D Printed Hobie Hatch Bucket

Comment

I used to use pool noodles on a roof rack and transport the yak upside down. It won't dent or scratch your yak. You'll have to replace them every 2 or 3 trips, so I would cut pieces and line them up directly where the yak touches the bar. But I recently added some rail tracs so I always use a carrier now, so not to damage them.

Comment

Thanks guys, very useful information. For those that use carriers, do you take them off when you are not transporting your kayak or leave them on all the time?

Comment

I use the Thule J cradles for my yak. I've transported two yaks at a time as well. I take off the cradles when I'm not using them because of the resistance when driving. Do you guys think the fairing really helps with noise?
              Hobie Outback
              WS Tarpon
              IG: #liveyakfish

Comment

The brackets are small and can stay on.

Yes, the fairing really helps with noise. It goes from an annoying whistling sound to a less annoying wooshing sound, on my car.
                Mike S.
                Hobie Outback
                Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers
                3D Printed Hobie Hatch Bucket

Comment

I have the brackets and also the J rack. I dont keep the J rack on but I do keep the smaller brackets on. Maybe keeping them on chops up the wind resistance because I dont get any wind noise.

http://www.thule.com/en-us/us/produc...-to-go-_-878xt
                  http://www.thule.com/en-us/us/produc...l-a-port-_-834
                  -Jon
                  Revo 13

Comment

Originally posted by jsnyd86 View Post
                    I have the brackets and also the J rack. I dont keep the J rack on but I do keep the smaller brackets on. Maybe keeping them on chops up the wind resistance because I dont get any wind noise.
                    It really depends on the bar shape you have too. I have the Thule Aero blades and, like you said, don't get any noise. However my friend with the regular bars does.

2015 Viking Profish Reload

Comment

Originally posted by reel-em-in View Post
                      It really depends on the bar shape you have too. I have the Thule Aero blades and, like you said, don't get any noise. However my friend with the regular bars does.
                      That's true, but I have the standard bars and no wind noise.
                      -Jon
                      Revo 13

Comment

Working...
                      X