Hobie Outback rigging

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hobie Outback rigging

Slowly starting the rigging process for my Outback and want to give thanks to Echo5ocscar, Goody, and Dave FX35 for their help along the way. I just installed my FF past the right hand side forward rod holder, very please with the location.

I found an awesome pvc trolling set up from the archives, it was a photo provided my Reelaxin10. I like the set up and might tweak the design. Anyway, my question is: does anyone keep their gunnels completely open? I like having these cubbies for quick lure changes and bags of plastics.

I see most outback rigging with ram mounts or scotty bases inside the cubbies, but with my PVC outriggers for trolling I don't see much off a need for them....especially without a paddle being in my hand. It's amazing how easy it is to spin around and access everything behind the seat. I have confidence I will quickly be able to swing around and grab a trolling rod with a "FISH ON". I can always stash my rod in the "sub-par" rod holders temporarily that hobie provided in the mold. I might put an anchor cleat in a cubby, not sure yet.

I like the feeling of the open cockpit...I know everyone has their on flavor of rigging, just looking for comments or advice.
    2015 OLIVE HOBIE OUTBACK
    2013 OLIVE HOBIE OUTBACK
    2013 OCEAN KAYAK TRIDENT 13

JEREMY D

How did you end up installing your transducer? Any pics you can share now?
    Dave
    2013 Hobie Revolution 11

MMIG

Comment

agreed post pics...i have a hobie outback too i just got and need ideas on rigging and installing my FF ... thanks and grwa job!
      Yellow Hobie Outback 2013
      Asian Anglerz
      TexasKayakFisherman

Comment

Google, google, google. And YouTube. Use these in addition to forum members and you are sure to find ways you like, or ways you can tweak so you do like it.

Also, don't limit your research to just outbacks. Just about every option can be used or modified to use on most kayaks.

Comment

I'm waiting for my new order of hopefully my last parts to come in. I think I switched out my rod holders 3 times already to find the perfect setup. My advice: go slow and do lots of research lol.

My new holders should give me endless possibilities to control the positions mounted to gear tracks and my legs won't hit when trolling (at least thats the plan).
          Scotty Gear Head Track Adapter 438
          Scotty Gear Head Mount Extender 429
          Scotty Rodmaster II Rod Holder 350

I need to get some pics up so my research will help others rigging.
          Dave
          2013 Hobie Revolution 11

MMIG

Comment

thanks
            Yellow Hobie Outback 2013
            Asian Anglerz
            TexasKayakFisherman

Comment

Fish finder is 100% complete and battery box has found a home. I had a difficult time with the Hummingbird because there are two sets of cables with large harnesses on the end. Originally I was going to use a weatherproof wire seal nut, but the harnessess did not pass through the connector. Then I purchased firewall grommets, but if I drilled into the kayak I would be forced to use the largest grommet and not obtain a waterproof seal.

Finally, I just drill into the kayak large enough for the connectors to pass through....stuffed a very liberal amount of duct seal in the hole and used a coverplate that came with the FF. It is a water tight installation, but I was hoping for a more professional job.

I made my own foam template for the transducer, glued it down, and added an entire tube of goop in the cavity. Nestled the transducer to the bottom of the hull, I can see no visible air bubbles.

The battery, I glued down foam borders under the drivers seat. Then glued some rubber grommets to the bottom of the battery box. I was afraid in the chop the battery banging against the hull would scare the fish, so the grommets act as shock absorbers.

On to the rod holders and trolling arms tomorrow.
              2015 OLIVE HOBIE OUTBACK
              2013 OLIVE HOBIE OUTBACK

JEREMY D

Comment

Coming along nicely. Did you give the transducer the old pool test yet?
                Dave
                2013 Hobie Revolution 11

MMIG

Comment

Looks good. The cover for the wires looks good too.

Comment

Cool, you did decide to get a Hobie after all. Your FF is mounted where I add my rod holders for trolling. They are scotty rod holders aimed straight outboard, two in front of the existing rod holders. You really want your rods to be in front of you so you can see them in my experience. That way you can see that you got a fish or picked up a weed, etc. My FF (which is the 700 series of what you have) is mounted to the very front of the left side gunnel by the cup holder. I change screens pretty frequently so I put it within arms reach.

Let me know if the down imaging works thru hull. I came up with the wet mount (that I posted instructions to build at one point) because I got the impression that the DI would not work thru hull because of the wide beam.

Nice man, welcome to outback club.

Light Tackle Kayak Trolling the Chesapeake Bay, Author
                    Light Tackle Kayak Jigging the Chesapeake Bay, Author
                    Light Tackle Fishing Patterns of the Chesapeake Bay, Author
                    Kokatat Pro Staff
                    Torqeedo Pro Staff
                    Humminbird Pro Staff

2011 Ivory Dune Outback and 2018 Solo Skiff
                    Alan

Comment

Went to Mattawoman today for the christening of the outback. This is my first experience with DI and in my opinion it worked flawlessly through the hull. It matched or exceeded the sonar screen while I had them both on a combo view.

I opted to push the FF location more forward so my gunnels are completely obstacle free. I have no problems reaching the buttons. I did make a pvc holder holder beast behind the seat with the addition of two trolling outriggers by my shoulders. I am hoping the trolling tubes do not place my rod tips too high and cause my lures to run more shallow then their specs. Worse case, I am going to install two ram balls in my cubbies with rocket launchers to keep everything away from my knees while peddling and trolling.

Originally posted by Yak Fish View Post
                      Cool, you did decide to get a Hobie after all. Your FF is mounted where I add my rod holders for trolling. They are scotty rod holders aimed straight outboard, two in front of the existing rod holders. You really want your rods to be in front of you so you can see them in my experience. That way you can see that you got a fish or picked up a weed, etc. My FF (which is the 700 series of what you have) is mounted to the very front of the left side gunnel by the cup holder. I change screens pretty frequently so I put it within arms reach.

Let me know if the down imaging works thru hull. I came up with the wet mount (that I posted instructions to build at one point) because I got the impression that the DI would not work thru hull because of the wide beam.

Nice man, welcome to outback club.
                      2015 OLIVE HOBIE OUTBACK
                      2013 OLIVE HOBIE OUTBACK

JEREMY D

Comment

Awesome, good to hear.
                        Did you catch or see anyone with snakeheads?

Light Tackle Kayak Trolling the Chesapeake Bay, Author
                        Light Tackle Kayak Jigging the Chesapeake Bay, Author
                        Light Tackle Fishing Patterns of the Chesapeake Bay, Author
                        Kokatat Pro Staff
                        Torqeedo Pro Staff
                        Humminbird Pro Staff

2011 Ivory Dune Outback and 2018 Solo Skiff
                        Alan

Comment

No snakeheads three of us made the trip with intentions to catch snakeheads. Early we all had some top water action and missed all of our hook sets! Fished hard for 5 hours with no SH or bass. Finally, we dropped chicken in a channel for cats (we were desperate). I managed three blue cats, one of which was my largest...but when I pulled him onboard, my line got tangles around my fish grips and broke free. Never got a chance to measure, but close to 30"??

Beautiful place! Only thing missing were the rice paddies

Originally posted by Yak Fish View Post
                          Awesome, good to hear.
                          Did you catch or see anyone with snakeheads?
                          2015 OLIVE HOBIE OUTBACK
                          2013 OLIVE HOBIE OUTBACK

JEREMY D

Comment

Sorry you guys didn't get any SH. I was hoping to see some pics. How was the maiden voyage?

Originally posted by sparky1423 View Post
                            No snakeheads three of us made the trip with intentions to catch snakeheads. Early we all had some top water action and missed all of our hook sets! Fished hard for 5 hours with no SH or bass. Finally, we dropped chicken in a channel for cats (we were desperate). I managed three blue cats, one of which was my largest...but when I pulled him onboard, my line got tangles around my fish grips and broke free. Never got a chance to measure, but close to 30"??

Beautiful place! Only thing missing were the rice paddies

Outback 2015
                            Maui

Comment

Working...
                            X