No announcement yet.

Looking for New Seat for Hobie Outback

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I would think you wrap the tape around snugly. Since electrical tape is quite stretchable, the expansion plug should work OK.

I have that same problem sometimes. That is, when you turn the ring, the plastic plug doesn't grab the yak hole and the plug turns freely. I just hold the plug with one hand to prevent rotation (start with the slant plastic pieces about parallel or "flush"). When the plug "expands enough," I press it in the hole so that it snugly slides in and will grab the hole. I then continue to turn the ring to full tightness. Make sure the threads are lubricated (I use silicone spray).

Just so happens I had the right size shrink wrap last night. I put on two overlapping tubes of wrap and inserted the plug into the hole. I tightened the plug (the shrink wrap expanded a bit), but the plug did not hold. I took it out and roughened the wrap surface with sandpaper. Presto! It worked. It's quite a snug fit that won't budge. I'll test it this weekend with lots of fishing.
    Last edited by tufnik; 05-03-2013, 08:33 AM.
    2015 Hobie Outback (yellow)
    2011 Hobie Outback (yellow)
    2009 OK Prowler Trident 13 Angler (orange)

Comment

Originally posted by HokieDJ View Post
      I have the surf to summit expedition pro. You can try it next time i see you.

It's ok and it still slides up a little bit even thought I had tighten it enough. The gel seat is pretty tough and sits high but I still put a sport seat cushion to keep me dryer (Revo is a semi wet ride).
      you have the surf to summit on your revo? did you instal the seat using the hobie seat plugs?

ive had one of those seats in my garage for over a year and a half. i messed with it in the kayak in the garage when i first got it, but i couldnt get the straps positioned well to hold me up and the bottom would slide forward. spending 10 hours in the kayak over the weekend made me realize i need to do something about the stock seat, so i'm revisiting the situation. my ideas where to just find some kind of pad, like a garden kneeling pad and sit on it, or some how install the hobie plugs on the summit seat
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by stupidjet View Post
        you have the surf to summit on your revo? did you instal the seat using the hobie seat plugs?

ive had one of those seats in my garage for over a year and a half. i messed with it in the kayak in the garage when i first got it, but i couldnt get the straps positioned well to hold me up and the bottom would slide forward. spending 10 hours in the kayak over the weekend made me realize i need to do something about the stock seat, so i'm revisiting the situation. my ideas where to just find some kind of pad, like a garden kneeling pad and sit on it, or some how install the hobie plugs on the summit seat
        I was worried about that too (slippage if I switch to the STS seat)......and I don't like the idea of using the rear straps on the STS too

After several trips, the results (remember, the right plug/hole is the problem; left side is fine):
        Test 1:
        - Shrink wrap is on right plug. Result: Holds better, but it still slips off. I really have to torque the right plug fairly hard to get a good hold. Left side is still fine, even with moderate torque.
        Test 2:
        - Did a swap. Put right plug (with wrap) on left side; put left plug on right side. Result: Right side slips off. Left side holds well.

So, is the right side hole bad?
        2015 Hobie Outback (yellow)
        2011 Hobie Outback (yellow)
        2009 OK Prowler Trident 13 Angler (orange)

Comment

You don't even have to use the seat plugs. The 4 straps allow you to adjust it tight.

I'll show you this weekend.

Comment

i use a surf to summit expedition seat, took the pegs off the old seat and installed them on the expo seat pretty easy and the revo has points behind the seat to attach the rear straps. much better than the hobie seat

Comment

^have any pics?
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Redfish12 View Post
                It's pretty easy to remove the pegs from your stock seat and attach to a new seat if you want, or you can buy new pegs for about $10 and still have your stock seat as a spare. I retrofitted a heritage seat I had from my old redfish for my second Revo and it works great. The big thing that has helped me is adding a piece of closed cell foam under the butt pad. It gets me out of the water and keeps me more comfortable. The best part is it was less than $10!
                Can you post a picture of your hobie with the seat? im looking for a better seat option with good back support. A shop said they can take a native wedge seat with adapters to fit the outback

Comment

^^^ I would love to find a way to take the wedge seat from my manta ray and put it on my revo 13
                  Hobie Revo 13 carribean blue

My YouTube Channel

Comment

009.jpg

Here pic of my skwoosh seat in my outback.I just installed the seat pegs that I got from backyard boats.What a comfortable seat.As you can see I just put a gel pad on top.
                    2012 hobie outback
                    2016 feelfree lure 11.5

Comment

raised seat I ran across while surfing today

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vq4mxzD3_mU

Comment

Originally posted by plastic boat View Post
                        raised seat I ran across while surfing today

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vq4mxzD3_mU
                        Some more discussion right here:
                        http://www.snaggedline.com/showthrea...for-an-Outback
                        Hobie fleet: