Carbon fiber rudder for Hobie Evolve

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Carbon fiber rudder for Hobie Evolve

When I first bought the evolve, it was everything I thought it was except for one thing. Placing the evolve in the back meant I had to remove my sailing rudder and use it as one. This meant the kayak didn't turn as well when the motor was off and it was harder to hold the current next to piling because I kept getting turned around by a fast current. I told my friend about this and he went about creating a carbon fiber model. I was too lazy so I decided to fabricate one by bending plexiglass to a U shape and attaching it. It worked better but it had tracking issues when going in a straight line because it wasn't perfectly shaped. At the end of season, I decided to scrap that and go with carbon fiber using the mold my friend created . It wasn't too bad and I think it worked better than the plexiglass and allows me to track straight when cruising with it.

Here's some pics:

The Mold
    8713260889_a285090fda_z.jpg

Carbon fiber sheet to be cut in separate panels to create layers that will be glued together.
    Do not use tape like I did or you will end up pulling loose threads at the end which will make your usable size smaller.
    IMG_0252.jpg

6 sheets total
    IMG_0253.jpg

1 sheet and evolve part laid out to show portion.
    IMG_0259.jpg

Scotch tape the mold and evolve part and apply multiple layers of Maguire Release wax (made for carbon fiber applications).
    This wax layer will help prevent the epoxy from sticking to the parts thus help remove it.
    Layer 3 sheets on the mold and place the evolve on top, then layer the last 3 sheets to form the shell (with epoxy applied to each layer)
    IMG_0399.jpg

After 24+ hours of letting the epoxy dry, I removed the evolve from the shell. I used a hammer and screw driver to knock
    the evolve down so it slides from the bottom. Afterwards, I traced out the rudder outline and cut it using a zip rotor.
    IMG_0427.jpg

Located where the screw holes should be and drilled the shell. I had to go HD and buy a washer to help keep it in place while using the same
    screws.
    IMG_0434.jpg
    IMG_0433.jpg

Damn man, that's some advanced DIY... nice going.
    Mike S.
    Hobie Outback
    Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers
    3D Printed Hobie Hatch Bucket

Comment

Awesome, how much to make another for your fellow Torqueedo owner?
      Ryan
      Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
      Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

Comment

sweet craftsmanship!
        <insert witty comment here>

Comment

Is it as responsive as the sailing rudder when fishing the pilings?
          2015 Hobie Outback (yellow)
          2011 Hobie Outback (yellow)
          2009 OK Prowler Trident 13 Angler (orange)

Comment

@Shady, first time was enough for me It's not that bad really. There's tons of youtube video of people making carbon fiber stuff to watch from. That's what I did and asked some questions from my friend who attempted it first. They sell kits on ebay for about $50 that has the sheet and epoxy.

@Tufnik, I think it does but I haven't performed any scientific experiments. You do have to keep the motor/rudder down because the current has more surface area to push the motor/rudder up compared to the sailing/standard rudders. This will increase your responsiveness.

Comment

So did you need to use the mold? or just kind of sit it over the motor?
              Ryan
              Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
              Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

Comment

Yes you need the mold. It allows you to shape 1/2 of the shell (bottom part) so that it wraps around the evolve part and keeps it's shape while it dries. You're basically making a sandwich with the sheets and the evolve. Once it dries you pull the evolve out and you get that shell.

What my friend did was use plaster or something like that, and pressed the evolve in it half way so that shell fins will be in the middle of the rudder as much as possible. I supposed you can use clay or any like like it where you can make impressions.

Comment

That looks like a pretty good way of building a bigger rudder. I was thinking, as an alternative, about building the rudder below the prop rather than above the prop. In other words, make a larger below-prop rudder by making the lower fin bigger. Using the same mold technique, build a longer and deeper lower fin. The resulting fin could even be removable, and it would be held in place by screws. I suppose responsiveness would be about the same as the above-prop fin. I guess the question is whether the enlarged fin would hinder lifting and lowering of the whole rudder. Anyway, just a thought.
                  2015 Hobie Outback (yellow)
                  2011 Hobie Outback (yellow)
                  2009 OK Prowler Trident 13 Angler (orange)

Comment

HokieDJ, you still using your homemade rudder? How's it working out in the long run?
                    Mike S.
                    Hobie Outback

Comment

Yes. With it and a tighten up rudder line (gets loose over the years) I can handle the current at CBBT much better. Without it, I would just get turned if I don't have my motor on. With it, I can peddle and stay straight most of the time with adjustments.

Comment

Cool, thanks.

I'll be joining the electric fleet soon. The rudder seems to be the main downside, so I plan to do something like this to improve it. I'm surprised Hobie hasn't come out with an overpriced kit to deal with this issue.
                        Mike S.
                        Hobie Outback

Comment

Working...
                        X