Report on Scotty 438 gear track adaptor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Report on Scotty 438 gear track adaptor

Last November Scotty introduced a new base unit (#438) that slides into gear tracks and allow insertion of other Scotty accessories. I bought two of them (for use on the gear tracks on either side of my Manta Ray. I began using one of them with a standard Scotty rod holder for trolling a few weeks ago. I placed a medium spinning rod in that rod holder on the left side and caught rockfish up to 26". It certainly seemed sturdy enough for the size of fish I am likely to catch.

31.jpg 001_2.jpg 004_2.jpg

Last Monday, I traveled to Pt Lookout and decided I wanted to troll 4 rods (two in regular Scotty mounted rod holders behind my seat, and one on each side in the gear tracks. When I went to install the second 438 base unit in the right side track, I had difficulty getting the flat plate piece to go into the track. As I wiggled and twisted, the flat plate broke off of the threaded tightening screw. This rendered the piece unusable. I still trolled the 4th rod, but needed to wedge it between my feet to hold it in place (someone once said "necessity is the mother of invention").

004.jpg

After returning home, I phoned the Scotty customer service number. I explained the problem and followed up with an email including the photo above. The representative thanked me and said he was shipping a new 438 piece to me.

In summary, I like the product, and I appreciate the good customer service. That part relies on a screw that can be torqued off under excessive pressure. I now know that I need to use less pressure when twisting the part.
    John Veil
    Annapolis
    Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"
Working...
X