Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Battery box project...

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

I wanted to build a battery box for my kayak. I have a couple of stipulations in mind: portable in/out of the boat; water proof; plugs to switch out electronics; upgrade capable for future electronic items.

I wanted something that I could pull out of the boat and use campsite to run a LED lamp, could run a fish finder and marine-grade LEDs in the boat. And I wanted something that I could upgrade components in over time in.

I came up with one of the off the shelf dry boxes that seem to fit well behind the seat... But this will go under the deck hatch. I placed a fuzed power distribution strip and a distribution ground return on Velcro pads under the lid. I drilled holes and put rubber gaskets in the holes. I eventually will silicone them closed once I figure out how much slack is needed in and out of the box.

Initially I thought I would simply use construction adhesive to glue in walls to hold the batteries. But it just doesn't stick well enough and I popped them right out. So now I have decided to build an aluminum tray that sits down into the box. I had some angle stock in the shed to start with... I just need to buy some to finish the project with. The idea is that I will have two batteries at either side of the tray (weigh balanced) and have them switched so as one runs out I can flip the switch to change power sources to my electronics.

I found some marine-grade LED strips that I like. One is going to go in the box lid for an emergency light source. The other I will put up under the center hatch door so I can lift it and turn the light strip on for a utility light right in front of me while on the water.

Nice!
    LL Bean (Perception) Manatee DLX Angler 9.5'
    Hobie Pro Angler 12

Comment

Those orange Plano boxes work fine for batteries as long as you have the space to store them. I used one just like that for a full-sized marine battery that I use with the bow-mounted trolling motor on my center console. The built-in electric plug in the bow never worked, so I decided to make a portable power supply in a box. Here are a few photos. To protect the motor, I added a circuit breaker on the positive line. On trips when I don't need the trolling motor, I leave the battery box at home.

IMG_0267.jpg trolling motor battery box 004.jpg trolling motor battery box 005.jpg trolling motor battery box 006.jpg
      John Veil
      Annapolis
      Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Once I saw the box (mine is not as tall as yours) I knew it was the thing I needed. Instead of having to build one from scratch.

Comment

Plano now makes a very small orange box, which would be more kayak fit friendly. We just started stocking them at the store.

Comment

Problem with a box is securing it to the yak- I went with an insulated lunch cooler bag and stuffed my battery in it- then I screwed it to the bottom of my front cover hatch to keep it from bouncing all over- I got that idea from Ocean Kayaks for their battery bag in their Prowler series Kayaks-
            "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
            2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
            "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
            Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

It fits up under the deck pretty well. It looks like a towel folded up under it will cushion/deaden any sound and keep it from bouncing around.
              I like that it lets me run fuses inside it and it protects the whole thing with hard sides.

Comment

Working...
              X