Hobie Plug in cart repairs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hobie Plug in cart repairs

I have a Hobie EZ wheels beach cart- stainless steel- about a year or so old- the tack welds failed- now I have to have all the welds repaired by a welding service- the crossbar, the plug in columns by the wheels- never seen the welds so flimsy- poor quality control- very disappointing but easily remedied by a good welder
    "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
    2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
    "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
    Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Contact me. I can weld stainless for u. And I can fix that cart easily, I wouldn't charge much at all maybe 40-50$?
    Jason

-2017 ivory dune pro angler 12' with micro power pole, Lowrance EliteTI7, boonedox landing gear
    -2015 olive outback with Lowrance Hook7,micro power pole, seadek kit, micro power pole
    -Orange Heritage featherlite

Comment

I live in Southern Maryland just outside Waldorf on the Rt. 5 by-pass- long haul to you- Capital Welding is real close-
      Just got home from having the cart fixed- 5 minute job- they charged me $10.00- I'll get my wire brush out and pretty it up, but it is WELDED now-
      Last edited by ronaultmtd; 06-04-2013, 10:02 AM.

Comment

I had a bad experience with a Scupper Pup, it only last one season. The thin wall alum. tubes bent like crazy, and the axel broke. It seems that most of the carts are make for the occasional recreational user, and do not hold up to the weight and rough terrain that fishing demands. This year my brother welded up a couple of stainless and solid alum. carts for me out of some stock we bought at a salvage yard. I used the tires from the Pup (only thing worth saving), and use that one for hard terrain. The other one, I bought some of the EZ dune tires and put it, so now I finally good to go any where.

Comment

That is exactly the reason I plunked down $180.00 (Now it is $195.00) for the heavy duty stainless steel EZ Wheeled Trax Two Hobie cart in the first place- I wanted a bullet proof cart and knew I had to pay the price to get one, but did not expect such lousy tack welds- the axles are solid stainless rod with quick disconnect EZ Wheels-if the welds had been full penetration tack welds instead of shallow surface tack welds none of this would have happened- too little amperage, too little heat- just a quick lick and a promise assemblers instead of using skilled welders who would have seen the welds were substandard- nothing wrong with the materials used in the assembly- plenty strong, plenty heavy duty- just not put together with skill-

Comment

I have now had 3 Hobie carts fail. Not one or two, but three. The spot welds give way after about a year. It's funny how almost to the date each one has failed...nearly exactly a year. The first one I bought used and it had the balloon tires. Because I didn't know the pedigree of that cart I passed it off. I bought a heavy duty cart new and it's a great cart, but it failed just under a year. Denis at Backyard boats gave me a new one which was awesome. I just broke that one yesterday, just under a year. In 4 years, I've now had 4 carts. The welds are just spot welds and they've been what's failed each time. I've heard rumors that the newer carts have welds all the way around which I believe would entirely fix the problem. Dennis suspected the cart failed because of going over rough terrain, sand, etc. While I do the occasional rougher terrain haul, mostly I launch from a boat ramp. Even so, the "heavy duty" cart should be designed to withstand non-smooth carting. It's the perfect cart if those welds were increased.

Backyard Boats is awesome. They are replacing that one as well. So the moral of the story is to buy from a reputable dealer. Even though BB is a bit of a haul for me, that's where I'm getting my stuff from.

Light Tackle Kayak Trolling the Chesapeake Bay, Author
            Light Tackle Kayak Jigging the Chesapeake Bay, Author
            Light Tackle Fishing Patterns of the Chesapeake Bay, Author
            Kokatat Pro Staff
            Torqeedo Pro Staff
            Humminbird Pro Staff

2011 Ivory Dune Outback and 2018 Solo Skiff
            Alan

Comment

I had mine welded up after it failed- just regular use...and it was about a year old

Comment

Working...
              X