New version of wheels

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New version of wheels

My Manta Ray comes with a small-diameter wheel at the rear keel.
    008.jpg

My first thought was that this would make transportation across parking lots much easier. The concept is good, but with a single wheel, the kayak tends to lean to one side or another and drags the plastic on the ground. Further, having something with that much cross section area in the stern makes it more difficult to turn or pivot the kayak.

A few years ago I had made a set of scupper-mount wheels. The upright posts did not pass all the way through the scupper holes, adding more stress to the scuppers. I stopped using them.

2011-10-27 001.jpg

Recently, I had a thought about combining the best features of both rigs to make a new hybrid version. I set it up yesterday and tried it out today in Ocean City. I was pleased with the results.

Here is what I did. I had a 2 ft long stainless steel all-thread axle and two large wheels that were part of the kayak wheels. I removed them from the previous rig. I took the small wheel off of the Manta Ray, but left the stainless steel bracket in place. I found a spare piece of PVC pipe in the basement -- it fit nicely through a hole in the bracket. Then I ran the axle through the pipe and secured the wheels with stainless steel nuts.

001.jpg 002.jpg 008.jpg

I can remove one wheel, insert the pipe and axle into the bracket, then attach the second wheel with a few twists on a nut. The two sturdy wheels spaced widely apart rolled nicely across the parking lot and down the concrete ramp without any leaning problems. Once in the water, I could quickly remove one nut and wheel, then slide the pipe, axle, and other wheel from the bracket. This takes only 30 seconds.

For my common launches (Weems Creek, Jonas Green) I will continue to drag/slide the kayak across the grass and sand to the water. But for longer road trips, where a parking lot and hard ramp are involved, I will use the new wheels rig.
    John Veil
    Annapolis
    Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Nicely done improvised solution. Looks like it'll work out quite well.

Outback 2015
    Maui

Comment

I like it John. My Manta Ray is the old version without the wheel.

Comment

You might want to pack a few extra nuts just incase you loose them in the water

Comment

Looks good. Question: On longer pulls, does the axle tend to slide from from side to slide such that one or the other wheel will start rubbing the side of the kayak?
          Howard

16' Oldtown Camper Canoe with a side-mount 40# thrust trolling motor.

Comment

Originally posted by HJS View Post
            Looks good. Question: On longer pulls, does the axle tend to slide from from side to slide such that one or the other wheel will start rubbing the side of the kayak?
            If I am riding over unlevel terrain (like in my yard) the PVC pipe shifts somewhat. But I have not noticed any rubbing against the hull. I plan to use the wheels only for relatively short runs and on hard surfaces (paved parking lots and ramps) where shifting is not a big deal.

I am sure that some of our more creative and talented members here could add their own modifications to eliminate or minimize that type of concern. One thing I thought about would be to substitute an unthreaded metal axle for the all-thread and use cotter pins to hold the wheel in place. That would be even quicker.
            John Veil
            Annapolis
            Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Working...
            X