No announcement yet.

Bait Tank

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It just seems that it is a fine line when placing such a large piece of equipment into your kayak. Like the guy said on the web page for the pet food live well, that was the reason that he also used the bait well for dry storage, when not live bait fishing. He just could not justify putting such a device together for possibly a dozen times fishing per year, seeming to refer to how many times he goes live bait fishing. For those who go live bait fishing alot, such as live line fishing, it may be worth the time and space investment. As most know, for me, who likes to troll, chum and drift fish in open water, such a setup may not be the best solution. However, with that said, for the do-it-yourself kayak fisher, the pet food container or a 5 gallon bucket version, seems to be the best that I have seen yet.

For the kayaker, I think the angled entrance to the pet container live well, would make it easier for the kayaker to get into the live well, made easier with the use of a bait net. This may alleviate the need for a hard turn around in the seat by the kayaker. Sitting side saddle would make for a somewhat casual rebait. Not being completly round may be some concern with the pet food container, but you may offset some of that by the direction of the spray, having the current going around the square form with moderate speed, would cause the fish to swimm in like direction. A long rectangle may be a little different. I like the hand pump bulb type primer to prime the system and not having the pump intake and discharge hanging over the side of the kayak. I use a similar primer for my fish tanks when they need prime.

My comments were aimed at me, being a bait bucket sort of live bait fisher. I don't do alot of line bait fishing. The only live bait fishing that I really do is live shinner fishing. Someday, I may give the bridge a try again. I like chimo's description of his live baitwell last summer. He said he would simply flood the tank well behind the seat of his kayak, with no container, just the tank well and put his spot in there. He said it worked just fine. One needs to adjust to their own conditions. How many spot does one really need for a day of fishing. Of course, with that said, there are also those fisherman who believe that having a full baitwell is like having money in the bank.

It is so interesting when kayak fishing. Good luck.

Comment

I ordered the pet food container last night. I think I'm going to use some flexible plastic to make round corners should I transport alewives or bunker. I'm not a bait only guy but I liked being able to carry a lot of spot when I was fishing with my dad last year. He had a hard time catching them and an even harder time staying near the pilings, so the blues absolutely tore through the spot we had in short order. It was nice to be able to pull up, throw some in his bucket, then go catch some more.

I have fished Smith Mountain Lake over 10 times for 5-10 hrs a pop and I haven't caught a striper on my kayak yet. I've caught bass as a by catch, but it seems catching a striper is going to require lively bait and potentially even a planer board (small inline kind). If I go on the lake, I'm going to also need bait for who ever is fishing with me. So bait tank project is back on the table. I'll keep the buckets for temporary storage or spot, but the tank with a pump seems like a better solution.

I'm heading to Topsail for Memorial Day and I plan on paddling the marsh creeks heavily. Killies are no trouble to keep alive, but I was thinking it might be a good way to keep some mullet alive. Who knows, I might even hit the front side and see what's out there. Long story short, bait tank seems like something I can find a use for.
      Hobie Local Fishing Team - Backyard Boats
      Locations in Annapolis, MD and Woodbridge, VA
      https://www.backyardboats.com/

Comment

probably a small down rigger might be better than a planer. gottta get down deep for hybrids. used to troll deep for them in lake marion in SC. was checking the cabelas saltwater catalog and saw some nice bait tanks there

Comment

In the early morning and overcast days they pull planers over humps and right on the bank. In the summer it's all about downlines. Still a bait game... I think I can make my own for about 50-75 in parts...

Comment

How will you mount a downrigger on a Yak ....... thats alot of stress on wherever you mount it ........ I think it will either crack the Yak or pull out .....

I have a couple of small ones for my bass boat the fit in the oar locks but when I used them they would slightly flex the sides of the boat ........

Comment

you can just use a 8oz sinker off a 3 way doesnt need ot be a true down rigger you just have to go deep

Comment

Originally posted by surfdog View Post
                you can just use a 8oz sinker off a 3 way doesnt need ot be a true down rigger you just have to go deep
                Downriggers need to be straight down ....... 8oz 3mph against the tide will be like trolling a parachute ........ you need a couple of pounds ....... most of the small downrigger weights are 5 lbs .........

Comment

no tides in the reservoir 8oz should be fine in lake anna or triadelphia for hybrid stripers. ive fished with down riggers in the great lakes and other areas and yes we used 5-10lbs of lead not ideal for kayaks.......

Comment

Originally posted by surfdog View Post
                    no tides in the reservoir 8oz should be fine in lake anna or triadelphia for hybrid stripers. ive fished with down riggers in the great lakes and other areas and yes we used 5-10lbs of lead not ideal for kayaks.......
                    Your right ..... no tides

Comment

No tides. 2oz egg gets me to 35-40ft easy.

Comment

Working...
                      X