lowrance elite 4x dsi or elite 5 dsi gold

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• lowrance elite 4x dsi or elite 5 dsi gold

I just got my first kayak a trident 13. I ordered the elite 4x dsi and come to find out west marine will have the elite 5 dsi gold on sale soon for $299 which is only $100 more then I paid for the 4x dsi. I got the 4 with out gps bc I am a bigger guy and though I would have a hard time getting to the unit to switch screens and was planning on getting a Garmin 78 hand held gps. For the people that have a trident 13 do you think a 5in screen would be better or is a 4in screen ok? Also do you think the gps in the uint would be worth the hard time switching screens or marking way point or would the hand held be a good way to go.

I have the Elite 5 DSI Gold- after a period of time of getting used to the menu system of Lawrence units from my Hummingbird experiences, I have grown very fond of its capabilities- the chart plotter chip is pretty darn good, and the sonar is great- once you figure out how to get the surface clutter out and change the color scheme to get the best viewing conditions- I use a Ram ball electronics mount and mounted the unit in easy reach so I could change menu settings as necessary- I can see the bigger screen a lot better than the 4 inch screen, especially when I use the split screen of sonar and chartplotter- I usually put one or the other up in full screen mode and switch back and forth as I need to- but that is just me-
    "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
    2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
    "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
    Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

A 5" screen is definitely easier to read. You mentioned having to stretch to push buttons. On my previous kayak, I mounted the FF just out of reach. When I got a new kayak, I decided to upgrade to a FF/GPS. This meant that I had to relocate the unit to a spot where I could reach it easily. After some trial and error, I found a good spot for mounting. I am now really glad I have the upgraded unit.
      John Veil
      Annapolis
      Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

I had the Elite 4x and up upgraded to the Elite 4x dsi. My Elite 4x was just out of reach and like John I moved the new one next to me. I recommend if you can get in within reach it's worth it..
        Mike and son Jeffrey Yellow Hobie Pro Angler
        Olive Hobie Outback

Comment

Thanks for the info. I guess I will have to search some different ways to mount the unit. Any of you use the lawrance scupper hole mount and if so how you like it. I was trying to stay with a hand held GPS so I can hook to my computer but now you got me thinking with just mounting the 5 up close. Have any of you used the Garmin 78

Comment

I have a Elite 5 DSI. I love it. BTW: There's a forum at www.crappie.com that has a 60 page thread going dedicated to the Elite 5 DSI. It is an exceptional information resource. Just make sure to come back to snaggedline when you're done.
            Hurricane Skimmer 128
            WS Pamlico 100

Comment

Working...
            X