Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wilderness Systems Ride, or Tarpon? Or Jackson Cuda, or Native Slayer?!?!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wilderness Systems Ride, or Tarpon? Or Jackson Cuda, or Native Slayer?!?!

I've always fished from Canoes. Old Town Appalician and a discovery 169. I'm shopping for my first fishing kayak, and just can't decide what model I like. I really would like to paddle any kayak I buy before I buy it, like test driving a car. I'm leaning towards the Jackson or the Native. Any thoughts?
    Martin

2013 Jackson Kayak Big Tuna

the wilderness systems or jacksons are both amazing kayaks.

wilderness systems is more popular among people and tv shows with kayaks. Jackson makes a pretty awesome kayak as well though.

Native has good boats as well. not as many on the water to get a decent amount of reviews.

honestly if you picked any of these 4 you would be super happy.
    Zach Moore
    Delaware Paddle Sports Fishing Team
    Fishal Custom Baits Pro Staff
    Bait Towel Pro Staff
    2017 Hobie Pro Angler 12
    YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCSa...8WkC2WzHhAjVaQ

Comment

Buy a good used one- Don't buy any new Kayak as your first boat- just my two cents worth, but for about $500 or so dollars you can get a very good used boat already setup for fishing, just add water...no matter what you buy first; it won't be the boat you end up with- trust me on this-
      "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
      2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
      "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
      Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

If you want to give a Cuda 14 a test paddle let me know.

Comment

I caught many fish in an Old Town Discovery 169. It was a great boat but heavy to transport and unwieldy in the wind when paddling solo.

I like the lower profiles of kayaks and the easier portability.

I saw Strummerfan in action with his Cuda 14 last weekend. That boat moves very well and makes an excellent fishing platform.

Mark
          Mark
          Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
          Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
          Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

If you were on here a couple of weeks ago I would have mentioned the appomattox river company demo day, it was great and had all of the yaks you are asking about for demo. I tried everything except the tarpon and in the end I was the most comfortable with the Ride, got it in the 135 size. I think all of them were good boats, actually preferred the wilderness systems and native over the jackson boats, but you can't go wrong with any of them. I have been out fishing a couple of days now and am still working out the feel and organization, but love the boat.
            WS ATAK

Comment

I have the cuda 14 which replaced my pro angler a couple months ago. It has been great both paddling and fishing in. I tried most of them prior to purchase and decided on the cuda 14. I am 6'1" 240 and I am comfortable and have fished as much as 5 hrs straight. Have back and knee issue that is why I narrowed to the Native slayer or cuda because of the seats and decided on the cuda. Easy to paddle, stable (fly fish from mine) and easy to fish out of. But you can't go wrong with Ronaultmtd's idea about getting a good used one until you see exactly what you want in a kayak and we all want something a little different. I started kayaking with a sit in wilderness system Pungo classic 12.

Comment

Thanks Fellas, I appreciate the responses. I'm no stranger to kayaks, I guided white water for years and paddled lots of creek boats, and a few low volume custom fiberglass jobs. My favorites were perception Dancers and Matrix. I looked at the Perception SOT, and wasn't very impressed with it. The hull has a nice tumbleholme, looks like it would be very maneuverable, but I don't know about standing up in it. I like to sight fish when I can. Also, I'm looking for a boat that will handle rivers and surf . I know there will be a compromise in the handling in rapids with a dihedral hull, but Again, I like to be able to stand. 12' is a short as I want to go. Strummer fan, I may take you up on that offer, sometime after the next few weeks!
                Martin

Comment

I own a ride 135 and will tell you that portability is not its main strength is heavy at 75 pounds w/o the seat but once you get used to put it on a pick up truck is OK. The one thing I love about it though is that you can stand on it to fish and that it is a very "dry" ride most of the time. 20120912_190734.jpg20120912_190829.jpg

Comment

I can't speak on the Jackson kayaks, but the Ride 135 is the boat I am in most of the time. It's stable, fast for it's width and can carry a lot of gear. The Tarpon 140 is the boat I use when I need to cover water fast.
                    Wilderness Systems Pro Staff since 2002.

Comment

If I can only have 1 kayak for everything, I'll pick Trident 13. Ideally, I'll pick Ride 115 for shallow bass/snakehead fishing and a hobie for bay fishing.

Comment

I have a ride 135 and love it.. Only one bad thing about it is fully rigged it weights like 150 lbs... So you might ask yourself "do you even lift bro"

Meadeo
                        2012 135 Wilderness Systems Angler

Comment

Thanks Jeff, the Tarpon 140 is the boat I see the most of used.
                          Martin

Comment

I have a Tarpon 120 and it is nice but heavy. I often fish alone and I haul my yaks on my SUV. Most times I fish my Pamlico 100 which only weighs 50 lbs. and is much easier to load than the Tarpon.

Weight is a factor unless:

1. You are trailering.
                            2. You go to the gym and can press 200lbs.
                            3. Your a really big dude.
                            4. Your under 30.
                            5 Any or all of the above.
                            Hurricane Skimmer 128
                            WS Pamlico 100

Comment

Look at ultralights. Wilderness Systems has a Tarpon 120 ultralight that is about 42 pounds. My young sons use them. There are other longer ones on the market if you look around.
                              Wilderness Systems Pro Staff since 2002.

Comment

Working...
                              X