Wall Storage for Kayaks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wall Storage for Kayaks

I've got a Revolution 13 and an Outfitter. Both are around 70lbs and 13' long. Looking to store them in a storage space in my basement and it looks like wall storage would be ideal. Does anyone know of something relatively cheap, reliable and that can be installed directly on a block (masonry) wall?
    Hobie Revolution

Try this it might work for you. http://www.sierratradingpost.com/gla...colorFamily=99

Also look at the dark info line above it to get an additional 20% off the already discounted price.

Comment

There are some simple wall hooks, which just screw into the wall. They are like large type hook shaped kayak hangers for the wall. We have them at West Marine, or kayak shops generally have a version also.

Comment

For my garage, I bought to iron j hook heavy duty plant hangers (can't remember the official name) and screwed them into studs. I lined the hooks with foam too. For extra security, because I have little ones running around the garage, I put eye bolts directly above the hooks and use straps to keep it secure against the wall. Total cost: $60 as I already had foam, eye bolts, and straps.

Comment

Originally posted by DOGFISH View Post
          There are some simple wall hooks, which just screw into the wall. They are like large type hook shaped kayak hangers for the wall. We have them at West Marine, or kayak shops generally have a version also.
          Do you have the mounting hardware for direct installation on cinder block?
          Hobie Revolution

Comment

I imagine cinder block might be tricky. If it was concrete, concrete screws would work fine. You could make something thats sits against the wall thats free standing with 2x4's. I did a little google image search on "free standing kayak rack". That can give you some ideas. Hope it helps

Comment

Here's my cheapskate solution. Guessing maybe $20 in material if that.

I attached 2 2X4s to my block wall(Tapcretes are your friend). Made wall storage hooks out of 3/4", plywood cut to fit the shape of the hull. Attached the plywood into the side of the 2Xs with a few screw. Not the prettiest but it does the job. I did put some 1Xs on the edges of the plywood to spread the weight. Pictures will explain it better.
              P1000780.jpgP1000781.jpgP1000782.jpgP1000783.jpg
              Last edited by DonV; 06-25-2013, 09:58 PM.

Comment

That looks great and the price is right but I'm not very handy when it comes to those things. I'm thinking a free standing rack is the way I'm going ... Can I hire you? Hehe
                Hobie Revolution

Comment

i place my kayak on two plastic, inexpensive, collapsible saw horses...this allows me stow stuff under the yak...if you arent married to the idea of wall hanging.
                  Jackson - BIG TUNA

Comment

Maybe if I had just one yak but I need to maximize storage space with 2 yaks ... Wall would be best ... Looks like free standing rack is next best option ...
                    Hobie Revolution

Comment

There is an entire fastener section at the store. However, for concrete screws or lag bolts, you may need to go to a hardware store.

Comment

Access to the joists from the floor above?
                        these could be fitted to get the yak out of the way
                        and with a little ingenuity you can stack more than one on the same lift
                        I use something similar for my surfboards

Comment

I didn't have time to build something when I moved into my townhouse last summer so I bought this rack and I have been very happy with it. I think if I had to do it again I would get one that kept the kayaks on their sides, but it has worked out great for working on the kayak so I can't complain.

http://www.amazon.com/Glacik-C-DECK-.../dp/B0047PX2YU
                          Hobie Local Fishing Team - Backyard Boats
                          Locations in Annapolis, MD and Woodbridge, VA
                          https://www.backyardboats.com/

Comment

Working...
                          X