DIY Stake out pole

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DIY Stake out pole

Just cant justify the price of buying a fiberglass pole for $50 plus so decided to make one and was wondering if anyone else has made one and what they used and how they like it.

Just watched some videos of all different types but just not sure what would be best.
    Seen them made from pvc with a wooden dowel insert, mop & broom handles & aluminum.

I have a piece of 3/4 pvc and was just going to put a T on the end and try that but not sure if that would flex to much or not.
    I guess it would be fine for shallow slow moving water.
    5 foot long enough??
    2013 PRO ANGLER 12
    2013 Cuda 12

I just use a bamboo pole that I cut in my backyard. I have it at 12'? I thought of using it as a push out pole and stakeout but am thinking about shortening it to 7-5' this however is my preference.

Bamboo is quite flexible and it worked fine for me so I think it might suit you but you could always go for the broom handle.
    Ocean Kayak Trident 13: Sand

Comment

A bamboo pole works well in shallow & slow-moving water and muddy bottoms.

Comment

Here is a place that sells the materials for stake out poles. They have the fiberglass rod stock in 8 foot pieces (even in camo!), the pointed tips and the T-handles. The only kicker is the shipping is high unless you were to order in bulk:

http://www.mgs4u.com/shallow-water-boat-anchors.htm

Grainger also sells fiberglass bar stock in 5 & 10 foot pieces. Usually, fiberglass stock is in raw, rough form and you have to sand it a little so that you don't get spinters:
        http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/fib...ecatalog/N-c18
        2013 WS Ride 135
        2015 WS Ride 115

Comment

Originally posted by whenican View Post
          A bamboo pole works well in shallow & slow-moving water and muddy bottoms.
          Yup I used it when I fished Pohick and it worked as good as the higher end poles (I would assume).

If your worried about the stiffness just get a broom handle...it's cheap and you don't have to deal with shipping
          Ocean Kayak Trident 13: Sand

Comment

I followed a youtube video and made one out of a replacement hoe handle and a pvc T coupling. I also added a large bolt to the bottom (where the hoe attaches) for a pointed tip and sealed it's sides with goop.

It works very well. If I were to do it again I'd probably get a thinner handle, mine is a little too thick. No negative side effects just a little overkill.
            -Mustafa
            ابو مسقوف AbuMasgouf (Aboo-Mas-goof ): Fish Roast Papa
            2016 Hobie Outback
            2012 Hobie Revolution 13
            "Be humble to whomever you learn from and whomever you teach."-- Imam al-Sadiq (as)

Comment

I purchased a 3/4" x 8' fiberglass "tree stake" for $18 off Amazon. It's the same quality fiberglass "blank" that companies use to make their stake out poles. Sharpen one end (I did a poor job) and add a handle of your choosing (I used a pvc tee, 80 cents) and a small piece of pool noodle for flotation. You can always add some rope and a swivel clip to easily attach to your boat or anchor trolley. To anchor out I just slide it through the ring of my trolley. I've used a 5' wooden broom handle in the past and it worked just fine. PVC alone will probably not work, you will have to reinforce it some how. The fiberglass rod is the best solution and will last a lifetime.

http://www.amazon.com/FiberStake-Fib...fiberglass+rod
              or
              http://www.amleo.com/Fiberglass-Tree-Stakes/p/VP-FSXX/

Jake
              FeelFree Moken 12.5

Comment

Isnt 8 foot a little overkill for a kayak??
                2013 PRO ANGLER 12
                2013 Cuda 12

Comment

Length of the SOP depends on the waters you fish. I'm sure you could order a smaller size like 4-6ft. I just went with the 8' so I can have the option to cut it down if I need.
                  Jake
                  FeelFree Moken 12.5

Comment

Nope- mine is 10 feet long- when the current is running across the flats you will appreciate the sturdy fiberglas pole pushed deep into the sand/mud- Mattawoman comes to mind- six feet of weeds, two feet of water-
                    "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
                    2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
                    "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
                    Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

Greg made one and keeps it on his ride135 all the time. I think he got a green garden stake and added a wooden handle to it. quick and simple. I e-mail him to see if he has one of it

Greg replied to me and said "It's two garden stakes hammered together to increase the stiffness." Maybe he can explain more later as he is on vacation right now.
                      Last edited by archeryrob; 07-17-2013, 10:11 AM.
                      "If you can't have fun doing it, it ain't worth doing." ... or you're just doing it wrong.

My Blog "Confessions of a fisherman, hunter and tinkerer"

Comment

Thanks for the info guys. I ordered a fiberglass 3/4" 8' stake mention here and received it. After doing some search I came up with this "Nupla PRB5T Classic-T 5' Soil Probe with Metal Tip, EC Grip, 60" Long Handle" runs arond $23. This is probably the way to go. It is 60 inches, has metal tip and handle already and saves you some work. I already got parts (metal tip and handle) on order to make mines so I didn't get this. I ended up buying fiberglass pole, metal tip and handle online. Total cost for me was $42 for a 8' stakeout pole metal tip and handle. I'll post picture once all parts arrive and I assemble it.
                        Last edited by Goody; 07-23-2013, 01:37 PM.

Outback 2015
                        Maui

Comment

Working...
                        X