Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ascend FS10

I just recently bought the Ascend FS10 fishing kayak

I love the yak so far and it is breeze in the water. I like that it has 3 rod holders all though i dont like the front one because it can be in the way.

Also, I dont like that there is not much included storage on the yak. I am shoving my tackle box behind the seat and constantly putting stuff behind me in the bucket i keep my anchor in.

Does anyone have any tips pr products that i can get to help me out and give me a better ride/experience on the water?

Also, what kind of anchors do you use? I currently use a mushroom anchor and i hate it

Thanks
    Fish for Days

I'm not familiar with the layout of the yak so no advice for storage. Wouldn't expect much extra space on a 19' yak. As for your anchor I use a fold up claw anchor that comes with 25' of poly line, a float and a hook all stored in a draw string bag. West Marine and Bass Pro have them for $30.

Comment

Originally posted by Capt C-Hawk View Post
      I'm not familiar with the layout of the yak so no advice for storage. Wouldn't expect much extra space on a 19' yak. As for your anchor I use a fold up claw anchor that comes with 25' of poly line, a float and a hook all stored in a draw string bag. West Marine and Bass Pro have them for $30.
      Its a sit in kayak. It has a bucket layout in the back with straps to put a bucket or big tackle box. I like the idea of those anchors. Does yours work well? I am looking for something that will stick on a sandbar or also in deeper water like in a river. I like that type of anchor because it takes up a lot less space! Do you use an anchor trolley or anything of that sort?
      Fish for Days

Comment

I do have a trolley, and the anchor works very well. I'm seldom deeper than 10' and in less than 5' I try to use a stakeout pole. BPS has a trolley kit that uses the handles on your yak. That's what I have on the Hobie. Fish n dive has blocks permanently attached. Both work fine.

Comment

Originally posted by Capt C-Hawk View Post
          I do have a trolley, and the anchor works very well. I'm seldom deeper than 10' and in less than 5' I try to use a stakeout pole. BPS has a trolley kit that uses the handles on your yak. That's what I have on the Hobie. Fish n dive has blocks permanently attached. Both work fine.
          Okay thanks C-Hawk. I will have to look at that stuff. I like the idea pf the one that used the handles. I dont want to drill holes! Im gonna have to get that stuff soon
          Fish for Days

Comment

I think Shady used to have a fs10...im him
            14.5 ft Sand colored Malibu X-Factor "the promise"
            2010 Hobie Outback "the Gift Horse II"

Comment

Whats his Username
              Fish for Days

Comment

Shady
                14.5 ft Sand colored Malibu X-Factor "the promise"
                2010 Hobie Outback "the Gift Horse II"

Comment

I have one of the earlier models of the FS10. I have had mine for three years and have changed and added stuff over that time. One of the first changes I made was to the front rod holder, switched it out for a Scotty flush mount so that I could change out rod holders from spinning to fly, plus the holders have a little bit lower profile.
                  The anchor trolley consisted of parts purchased at West Marine for about $30.00. For an anchor I use a 3 lb. folding grapple type (got that from ACK.com). To keep the anchor trolley line from drooping I placed two fairleads just forward and aft of the cockpit on the top line.

Hope this helped.

Comment

My friend fishes out of a FS10 sit-in and it's a solid kayak. I helped him find a milk crate that fits perfectly in that back hatch as well as a small motorcycle battery to go under it in that little cut-out space (2012 model). We put 3 vertical rod holders on it to give him some more space, and a slide-trax system on the sides to get that stupid rod holder out of the middle of the tray and out over the edge. I'll try and get a picture for you.

Comment

I started out with a FS10. Storage was always my biggest issue as well and a crate or behind the seat were the 2 best options for me. I'd place a few smaller items I would use a lot up front by my feet but the rest had to go behind me. I also installed 2 scotty flush mount rod holders on the sides just behind the center rod holder. I used extenders and was able to soak bait or troll without much of an issue although I did need to shorten my paddle strokes just a bit. If I was to do it now I'd use slidetrax or something similar on the sides so the position would be adjustable.

Comment

Working...
                      X