Replacements from turtling

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Replacements from turtling

Nothing like a good turtle to get your attention and slim down your wallet- After mine, I decided that I didn't need or use all the features of the Nikon AW110 so I went with a less expensive point and shoot- the Coolpix S31 waterproof digital camera to replace my Nikon AW100 that is resting comfortably on the bottom of the Potomac...and I picked up a floating wrist strap for it- I bought a nice pair of Revo sunglasses, the Grand Sixties, cobalt coating on the polarized glass lenses for a spare to my Costa Hammerheads- my Diawa Lexa 300H is still at the California Diawa warrantee center- been about two weeks since i sent it to them- getting everything-back in so I will be ready to fish the CBKA tournament in a couple of weeks-
    "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
    2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
    "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
    Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Sorry about your turtling and losing gear. Did your Lexa give you any issues afterwards or did you just send it in as a preventative move since it was dunked? You may have mentioned this in your other thread but I probably missed it.
    2014 Hobie Outback

Comment

Ronaultmtd,

I'm also looking for a waterproof point and shoot camera since I ruined my non-waterproof Canon Powershot a few trips ago. Have you used the Coolpix S31 yet? If so can you comment on the photo quality? That's a camera I was considering. I was also looking at the Panasonic Lumix TS25.

Thank you,
      Mark
      Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
      Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
      Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

I haven't had a chance to use the camera but plan a fishing trip Saturday, so I'll get some then...and the UPS man just delivered my Lexa 300 a few minutes ago- thanks Diawa- great customer service!

Comment

Good luck Saturday.

Post some photos from the Coolpix if you get a chance.
          Mark
          Pasadena, MD

Comment

Mark,

I have a Lumix similar to the TS25; the TS3 that I bought 3 years ago. It does not have the optical zoom but does have GPS (and fewer pixels of course). Otherwise, the form factor looks identical. It has worked well for me. No leaks and I've done about 15 snorkeling trips with it and one shallow dive in addition to always bringing it in the kayak. One thing I find is that the placement of the lens is such that I commonly smudge it with a finger (and sometimes take a photo with my finger over it. So I keep a microfiber cloth in my pfd to keep the lens clean. Also I have a neoprene case for it that keeps water off the lens when in the kayak.

Comment

Beerboy,

Thank you.

That's good info about the lens and storing the camera onboard.

I'm hoping I never submerge it! I mainly want to make sure I get clear photos of fish for the upcoming tournament...If I catch something worthy to photo.
              Mark
              Pasadena, MD

Comment

Originally posted by ronaultmtd View Post
                I haven't had a chance to use the camera but plan a fishing trip Saturday, so I'll get some then...and the UPS man just delivered my Lexa 300 a few minutes ago- thanks Diawa- great customer service!
                Hey Ron I have a comparable water proof camera it is the Olympus tough point and shoot camera. It has pretty much the same features as the cool pix. I think that you will like the cool pix camera it takes great pictures and when I was down in the keyes I turtles in the kayak while running video on my camera and it gave me great underwater footage until I handed it to my daughter which still had great quality footage for a waterproof camera. the only con I would say is that in the zoom video mode you lose clarity of your shot because of the low pixel rating. Here is one of my pictures I took using the camera in the snow and beach mode
                P6240174.jpgP6240179.jpg

Comment

Scorpioreno,

Is that the Olympus TG-620?

Those are beautiful shots.
                  Mark
                  Pasadena, MD

Comment

Originally posted by Mark View Post
                    Scorpioreno,

Is that the Olympus TG-620?

Those are beautiful shots.
                    Mark The camera is called Olympus Tough camera I'm not sure if there is a numerical nomenclature with it.

Comment

I was very satisfied with the picture quality of my Nikon AW 100, the waterproof, feel, and overall quality and that is why I chose the less featured version.

Comment

I am not sure about the Olypus Stylus new models, but I have killed 3 or 4 of the older models. They last about a year and then they start to get quirky. Also, the battery life is terrible! I have about 6 extra batteries from all the older cameras and they do not last very long. I found the kodak playsport to be the best affordable camera as far as durability but my kayak wars pictures can attest that not having a flash is a bit of an issue.

Ron, did the handle nut cover screw completely turn to mush on you on your lexa? I have no complaints about mine so far other than that little screw seems to be made of butter and corrodes quickly.
                        Hobie Local Fishing Team - Backyard Boats
                        Locations in Annapolis, MD and Woodbridge, VA
                        https://www.backyardboats.com/

Comment

The screw broke off and I couldn't get the side plate off to clean the reelp

Comment

I hope they upgrade those screws. I painted mine to see if that will help keep the salt out longer.
                            Hobie Local Fishing Team - Backyard Boats
                            Locations in Annapolis, MD and Woodbridge, VA
                            https://www.backyardboats.com/

Comment

Working...
                            X