Failed RAM experiment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks guys. I was truly inspired!

Bill, the cross bar slides up and down the brackets that fit into the flush mounts. You could position it as close or, as far from the seat back as needed. In the last pic where I moved the vertical holders on to it you might be able to see that they just about touch each corner of the seat back.

Surf, It is $60-$70 MORE than 3 Folbe holders, universal mounts and extenders. These, and RAMs, were the only ones that I found that would clamp on to my prototype 1 1/4" PVC tube. RAMs are just as much money if not more. And I've heard the stories like Bill and Mike mentioned. Going with 3 holders was my original thought. I added 2 more which makes it $60-$70 LESS than 5 Folbe's!

BTW guys, I think Folbe's are far superior to RAMs and Scotty's.

Mike, It's pretty light. Can't be more than a couple pounds. Not sure exactly. I'll figure it out and post it separately.

Michael, Awesome Patton quote. One of the greats! And I appreciate the compliment. Thanks.

If anybody's interested Great Lakes will duplicate it. The cost can vary based on the number of holders. The beauty of this modular design is you can keep the cost down by just getting a couple. You can add more later.

Comment

Originally posted by jffoley View Post
      Hey guys, I've given this some thought. Actually a lot and have a solution.

I don't like rear flush mounts. Too far back and useless for trolling. Most guys add Ram or Scotty holders up front. However, I like to drape my legs over the sides when drifting and didn't want anything in the way on either side. Also to keep the gunwales clear to re-enter should that little problem of turtling occur. Further ahead and too far to reach easily. For rod & tackle storage I tried a CratePak but found that cumbersome. Not really convenient for me.

I wanted something functional where I could see the rod tips when trolling and be able to reach the rod quickly and easily. I decided I wasn't going to drill a bunch of holes, either. Something flexible that looks good, too.

I found some West Coast forums where guys move their rear holders forward using PVC and various connectors. I set out to do this. While flexible & cheap a problem with PVC is that it looks an awful lot like plumbing! Then, after pricing out RAM/Scotty/Folbe holders, mounts, extenders and clamps it wasn't all that cheap after all.

So, I reached out to my friends at Great Lakes Planers who have done work for me previously for the boat. After some back and forth discussion, measuring and re-measuring we've come up with a custom kayak rocket launcher!

Lightweight, made from aluminum, (gotta wash that salt spray off!) clamps together and slips into the rear flush mounts. I will use tie downs from underneath the unit to deck loops behind the seat to secure it in place. Completely modular. It can be configured in several ways. When all is said and done this cost me just $60-$70 more than several RAM/Scotty/Folbe holders, mounts, bases and extenders. More functional and prettier, too. Can't wait for spring trolling season!
      John: You should market that one.

Comment

Did you order the space saver ram mounts yet Bill? I was curious if the little balls on the top come off or not, I am concerned with breaking them off the gunwales while loading onto roof rack, though they still look like a promising solution on our Revo. Are you going to put that wedge mount to use for your fish finder? I saw another Revo who used a ram mount and extender out of the netted pocket, I assume to keep the base off the gunwale. I might consider that as a solution for the Rod Holder Bases as well to keep them off the gunwales, not sure though.
        --->

I messaged Halibu77 to ask him how be put his bar systems together, I kind of like what he had done before moving to the AI:
        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MRRnEXnWdo4

Thanks to everyone for all the great info so far!

John, what would the lower end of the price range be on that awesome rocket launcher set up?

TJ

Comment

Originally posted by tj06sti View Post
          Are you going to put that wedge mount to use for your fish finder?
          Nah, I'm going to go back to my PVC rig. My camera attachment worked better with it, anyway. Need any RAM parts? I can make a good deal on a 1.5" wedge mount, a 5" arm for the 1.5" bases, and a fish finder mount for Humminbirds (RAM-B-107U).

I haven't ordered the space saver yet. I think the ball is attached. I can't decide between the space saver and a base that's 1.5" x 2.5" (RAM-202U-1525). I'm pretty sure that the 1.5" wide base will fit where I want it, but I need to check more carefully and figure out exactly where I want the rod holders. I prefer the slightly wider base with 4 bolts over the space saver if the bigger base will work.

As for ball breakage , the base I got with the fish finder mount is aluminum and really solid. The stem and probably the inside of the ball are probably aluminum as well. I think you'd be more likely to wreck the kayak's plastic than breaking off the ball.

Scotty makes a rocket launcher now, and I've been considering mounting a flush mount base just ahead of the mesh pockets. I've found two instances on the web of guys doing that. Australians seem to prefer Scotty mounts.

It's probably going to boil down to where I can reach.
          Yellow Hobie Revo Rube Goldberg
          Yellow Tarpon 120

Comment

Originally posted by ictalurus View Post
            Need any RAM parts? I can make a good deal on a 1.5" wedge mount, a 5" arm for the 1.5" bases, and a fish finder mount for Humminbirds (RAM-B-107U).
            Haha, I might be. I am still trying to figure out where and how I am going to attach everything. I have a standard scotty holder and flush mount base that is bolted down to my cutting board for the other kayak, I will check its size against the rail size on our Revolution. I think the flushmount bases would be much less prone to breaking..or as you noted, breaking our kayaks, then the ball ram mounts. Keep us posted! Alot of new Revo owners in the same.. *ducks* boat as you!

Comment

Beautiful.

Originally posted by jffoley View Post
              Hey guys, I've given this some thought. Actually a lot and have a solution.

I don't like rear flush mounts. Too far back and useless for trolling. Most guys add Ram or Scotty holders up front. However, I like to drape my legs over the sides when drifting and didn't want anything in the way on either side. Also to keep the gunwales clear to re-enter should that little problem of turtling occur. Further ahead and too far to reach easily. For rod & tackle storage I tried a CratePak but found that cumbersome. Not really convenient for me.

I wanted something functional where I could see the rod tips when trolling and be able to reach the rod quickly and easily. I decided I wasn't going to drill a bunch of holes, either. Something flexible that looks good, too.

I found some West Coast forums where guys move their rear holders forward using PVC and various connectors. I set out to do this. While flexible & cheap a problem with PVC is that it looks an awful lot like plumbing! Then, after pricing out RAM/Scotty/Folbe holders, mounts, extenders and clamps it wasn't all that cheap after all.

So, I reached out to my friends at Great Lakes Planers who have done work for me previously for the boat. After some back and forth discussion, measuring and re-measuring we've come up with a custom kayak rocket launcher!

Lightweight, made from aluminum, (gotta wash that salt spray off!) clamps together and slips into the rear flush mounts. I will use tie downs from underneath the unit to deck loops behind the seat to secure it in place. Completely modular. It can be configured in several ways. When all is said and done this cost me just $60-$70 more than several RAM/Scotty/Folbe holders, mounts, bases and extenders. More functional and prettier, too. Can't wait for spring trolling season!
              That aluminum rod holder contraption is a work of art!

Comment

Thanks 13! Works very well. Several others on the forum have added this contraption and are happy with its usefulness.

Originally posted by ictalurus View Post
                Need any RAM parts? I can make a good deal on a 1.5" wedge mount, a 5" arm for the 1.5" bases, and a fish finder mount for Humminbirds (RAM-B-107U).
                Bill, Still got these components?

Comment

I sold some of the parts. I'll check and see what I have left when I get home tonight.
                  Yellow Hobie Revo Rube Goldberg
                  Yellow Tarpon 120

Comment

Working...
                  X