Quick Lowrance tip

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quick Lowrance tip

Looking for some sort of cap to put on the plug for your Lowrance fishfinder when not in use? Go to Home Depot and get a pack of 1/2" rubber screw protectors. You can put one on the plug and one over the unused temperature port on the back of the unit. The 1/2" size works perfectly for the plug with the locking collar on it, 3/8" may be better for the plug without the locking collar.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/1-2-in-Gr...1#.UiSdncHD_IU

DSCN5693.jpgDSCN5692.jpg
    Ryan
    Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
    Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

Very cool idea, thanks!

Comment

Thanks, I'm in HD a couple times a week. I'll have to remember to pick up some.
      BRETT
      Red/Yellow COBRA Navigator

Comment

Great tip! Thanks!

That works a lot better than my solution for covering the temperature port, which was to stuff it with some plastic food wrap and then tie it with a rubber band.
        Sun Fishin'

Comment

Nice! Make sure you pack it with dielectric grease or water will still get in. I use duct seal on mine but this looks like a better more permanent solution
          Used to fish more.

Comment

Thanks, I was trying to get the connector part of a fish finder to mount somewhere twist plug onto to keep plug dry, I did fill my temp. probe connector with black silicone and have had no problem.......Jack

Comment

For the temp port and sd card slot, I also put several coats of liquid electrical tape over it:
              http://www.homedepot.com/p/Gardner-B...-400/100119178
              After the liquid tape dried, I put the cap over the port.
              Ryan
              Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
              Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

Comment

Does anybody have an opinion on where front to back to mount the transducer for best use of the readings?
                PigPen - Mt Airy
                Native Mariner 12.5

Comment

There may a logistical reason to mount the transducer at a particular point. But from a standpoint of getting signals that are relevant, I don't think it matters where on your 12.5 ft kayak you place it, as long as it is in a location that is submerged when you are in the kayak (out of 12.5 total feet, probably only 10-11.5 ft are actually submerged at most times).

The transducer sends out a cone of signals. The deeper the water, the more water column area and bottom area will be scanned.
                  John Veil
                  Annapolis
                  Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

I see a lot of people sealing the SD card slot. Doesn't anyone use it to load coordinates? I usually pick my spots ahead of time on the computer then import into the Lowrance.

Mine survived a turtle n it's first trip with just the little rubber door shut but I have seen many stories of failure at that point. The little flap is junk. For a non permanent solution with the ability to still use your SD slot, fill it with dielectric grease and wrap a large rubber band around the FF to hold the door shut tightly. Mine takes a lot of water being low in the kayak and is holding up well.

Comment

Working...
                    X