No announcement yet.

Leashes and saftey

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If you have a paddle only 'yak, I thnk ur crazy not to leash the paddle. Other leashes are only to save your investment, but keeping your paddle close will save ur life
    Originally posted by rob-kayak View Post
    Well... after my first season kayak fishing in this area... I had a paracord leash to the paddle today.
    And guess what... today the first time I dropped my paddle in the water... only for a few seconds.
    But there was a sigh of relief with the leash on the paddle. What's that they say... "up a creek without a paddle."

Everything else is lashed down.. so if I turtle... except for a couple of items.. I may look like
    a floating debris field from japan tsunami... it should be all there.

My first time having a leash to my paddle (paracord) did not in anyway interfere with all the other equipment.
    14.5 ft Sand colored Malibu X-Factor "the promise"
    2010 Hobie Outback "the Gift Horse II"

Comment

Originally posted by Longtrav View Post
      Hello

I have been reading the site for a few days and I'm torn on rod leashes. I actually orderd three a few days ago and I'm thinking of returning them. I have practiced re-entry and can't imagine doing it tangled in leashes. Also should I leash myself to the kayak? If its windy will it blow away. I prefer saftey over equipment. Any and all advice appreciated.
      Because of the environment we fish in, I don’t go overboard on high end rods (no pun intended). Could care less if I lose them. Even if a couple are lost while on the water the day is not a loss. I usually keep spare rods secured in the hull and out of the way. I leash most everything else. If it’s nasty or I’m a few miles out in the bay or ocean, I do use a long surfboard leash velcroed on my ankle. ( Merits of this are debatable) It’s out of the way and if the kayak goes east and I’m west at least it doesn’t get away from me in a decent wind.
      Ocean Kayak Ultra 4.7
      Predator 13

Comment

Originally posted by kevinfry View Post
        If you have a paddle only 'yak, I thnk ur crazy not to leash the paddle....
        Yea... I guess I'm crazy... surfing waves as big as house in the Caribbean and the West Coast.. jumping off the pier in OC because the waves were too big to paddle through...

But your comment is taken with due respect, and no ill intention perceived. As this is kayaking and not surfing.

LOL.

Comment

Ok so I'm selling my three hobie rod leashes. Used only two for a 15 minute test paddle. 55.00 and that counts shipping.
          Cuda 14
          Big tuna

Comment

I lost a rod on first day because my hands were chafed from paddling (so I tell the story) and I use a combination of para chord and Seattle sport bungee leashes now. The para chord gets caught on everything. I'm looking into a shorter leashes for attaching to my pfd or pad eyes near my rod holders. I personally don't think the floats sound practical for standing and fly fishing.

Where do people mount the leashes on the rod? I find using a loop around the neck of my spinning real gets in the way.
            PigPen - Mt Airy
            Native Mariner 12.5

Comment

Originally posted by rob-kayak View Post
              Yea... I guess I'm crazy... surfing waves as big as house in the Caribbean and the West Coast.. jumping off the pier in OC because the waves were too big to paddle through...

But your comment is taken with due respect, and no ill intention perceived. As this is kayaking and not surfing.

LOL.
              obviously surfing and kayak fishing are completely different....are you not teathered to your surfboard?
              14.5 ft Sand colored Malibu X-Factor "the promise"
              2010 Hobie Outback "the Gift Horse II"

Comment

Originally posted by kevinfry View Post
                obviously surfing and kayak fishing are completely different....are you not teathered to your surfboard?
                You are right using a paddle leash is a good idea.
                Some places surfing it is dangerous to wear a leash, and in some
                instances people have died when their leash entangled with coral
                reefs and drowned. Originally when leashes for surfing came onto
                the market they were only worn by inexperienced surfers and looked
                down upon, but now they have become the norm.
                I use a leash on my kayak all the time now, not only is it safe but one less
                consequence to worry about.
                Last edited by rob-kayak; 11-17-2013, 08:33 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Fishtank View Post
                  Because of the environment we fish in, I don’t go overboard on high end rods......
                  I hear ya on that one... only trouble is... my $30 bargain basement is my high end rod !
                  And everything else on my kayak is bought from the second hand discount shop.
                  But it fits just the way I want it in the kayak so everything is priceless to me.

I liked your comments.

Comment

Originally posted by Excalibur View Post
                    I hooked a cownose ray while jigging around the bay bridge and could not get enough leverage to reach out and break my mono w/o coming close to turtling. Finally, I got him boatside and cut the line w/ the knife on my vest. To make things easier for next time around, I bought a release knife to keep in my vest pocket. This gives me the ability to reach out and cut the line at a distance + will cut through just about any leash I have on board if needed. Just another option: http://releaseknife.com/
                    Those knives look cool... the maker should also put on the other end a basic blade... it would make it much more versatile.

Cutting a ray loose is a pain... But in some of these other messages.... people have rolled over "reaching out." It's a thought to keep in mind for everyone's safety in a kayak. Ronaltmldt in reply to my first threads gave me the good advise... the body goes where the head goes... I try to always keep that in mind.

Comment

Originally posted by Mark View Post
                      Also if water and wind conditions make you fear separation from the boat so much that you would tie yourself to it, it might be wiser to not launch.
                      I think this is one of the wisest comments that someone could give to a beginner. Not so much the concept of leashing your self to the kayak... but the judgment of your ability to handle yourself in the water.

I would think that very many people that have been on the water a lot... don't really know how to handle themselves "IN" the water. The ability not to panic and to make correct decisions.

I liked your comments.

Comment

As with many topics in this sport, the house comes up somewhat divided on this. From my sea kayaking experience, where the threat of turtling is expected and the ability to perform an eskimo roll reliably is mandatory, I'm terrified of leashes and becoming entangled in them. This fear translates to fishing out of a SOT kayak for me and I prefer to keep leashes to a minimum. There's not a single piece of gear that I would risk my life for, and I'd just as soon have it vanish to the depths than get tangled in it. That being said, I carry a paddle leash with me for use in case the wind builds to a point where it might rip the paddle from me, and keep my radio or cell phone clipped or otherwise tethered to my life jacket. I would feel better about using leashes for equipment like rods, fish grips, or pliers in calm conditions to prevent the idiot mistakes than in rough conditions in the event of a turtle. A spare two-piece paddle stashed in the hull is a good idea, but I'll admit that I don't carry a spare paddle with me unless conditions are terrifying or I'm paddling in the ocean. I wouldn't recommend tethering yourself to your kayak under any circumstances, since your boat might not always choose the best path without anyone steering it. A turtled kayak usually (exceptions exist, and I bet someone here has experience) won't move too fast and you can swim to it without much trouble. The surfboard leash with a velcro or quick release strap is a clever compromise though if you just can't stand paddling without a seatbelt.

Everyone probably has a slightly different opinion, and to all those who do use leashes please carry a knife with you on your belt or PFD. Paddling-specific knives exist that are made to cut rope or line and have a blunt tip for safety like the one in the link in a previous post. The downside here is that they're pretty much only useful for this task, since a blunt tip on a knife isn't usually desirable. As always, be safe and remember that the most important piece of safety gear to take with you is a clear mind and good discretion.

Comment

I paddled the Chesapeake tourney this weekend and went out early around 5:40AM I have had a paddle leash for a couple years but Saturday was the first day I used it, it was no bother and was reassuring while fishing that if it drops it isn't going any where. I leash my rods that are topsides, and am used to it, I do have a blunt tip knife on my vest with a radio also. I've flipped twice now both times not expected and after the practicing I had done it was almost a reaction getting in the boat....jack

Comment

I leash my rods and radio all the time using masons line which breaks at about 8lbs also carry a dive knife on my pfd to cut my way out of my braid if needed. Better to leash it than loose

Comment

Working...
                            X