Noob rod holder help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Noob rod holder help

So I'm adding scotty rod holders and the base seem like they are on good. However once I add the rod holder part it seems a bit wiggly. At what point do I need to worry about them getting ripped of breaking the boat over time? Thanks
    Cuda 14
    Big tuna

How did you attach the Scotty bases? I through-bolt with stainless steel bolts, washers, and nuts. They stay in place well that way. I am not talking about the cylindrical bases that slide into gear tracks. Those are somewhat wiggly.
    John Veil
    Annapolis
    Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

I have the predator 13 with mounting plates. Mounting plates that I might add are not designed to take bolts

I bolted the two holes on the scotty base on the side towards the boat. With two bolt the base feel super secure. I a tally feel the mounting plate would pop off before the base. When I add things like rocket launcher has some play. I can add screws but that's it. Like I said the scotty base seems strong.
      Cuda 14
      Big tuna

Comment

I mounted my base with a piece of a cutting board as a backplate and it is completely solid on the kayak. The contact between the mount and the rod holder on mine has a very slight wiggle as well. I think the play between the two is just a normal effect of having a two piece adjustable mounting system.

I don't think play between the two pieces of the mount could cause any damage to the kayak. As long as the base is secured effectively the only damage would have to come from extreme force.
        Mike

Comment

Working...
        X