Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Switch out wheels on Hobie Standard cart?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Switch out wheels on Hobie Standard cart?

Has anyone switched out the standard cart wheels for heavy duty hobie wheels?
    Ryan
    Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
    Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

I'm thinking of swapping the heavy duty with trax 2; has anyone tried this?
    Hobie Revolution 13

Comment

I'm pretty sure there are two holes on the wheel shafts, one for heavy duty/trax and one for the standard wheels. You should be good to go to switch once you get the wheels. I'd say having the sand wheels/hard wheels would probably be a better combo since the HD's dig in the sand too.
      Used to fish more.

Comment

Originally posted by kayakcarts1
        Wheels are the important part of every cart whether it is small or big. Being one of the most important pieces of the entire cart, wheels bear the burden of all components of the cart as well as kayaks. So, it becomes imperative that you select only strong wheels that can allow you to get down to the water and move the cart. for more information please visit on kayakcarts.net
        There are better sites than the one you are promoting kayakcarts1. For all of you newer guys looking for carts try www.austinkayak.com or www.kayakfishinggear.com . If you have a Hobie then go see Dennis at Backyard Boats in Annapolis.
        Interstate Kayak Fishing

Comment

Has anybody tried these? Any feed back? Looks like an answer to using on hard and soft surfaces if it works.

http://www.c-tug.com/products/sidewinders

Comment

Originally posted by Memory Maker View Post
            Has anybody tried these? Any feed back? Looks like an answer to using on hard and soft surfaces if it works.

http://www.c-tug.com/products/sidewinders
            I have them and love them. My original C-tug wheels did not perform well on sand with my loaded yak...even at the short beach at Jonas. Now with the black plastic wheels and the green "sidewinder" inserts/extenders, the footprint is doubled and the cart stays on top of the sand. They've worked well at Chix Beach for the CBBT, and at the CBKA launch. The ultimate test will be at CHSP. But I am sure they will work fine there as well.

The only gripe is the price. Upgrading from the original C-tug tires costs $50 for the hard plastic wheels, plus another $50 for the sidewinder inserts/extenders. But luckily, between ACK coupons, and Father's Day gift cards I was able to hack the price down.ACK coupons, and Father's Day gift cards I was able to hack the price down.
            <insert witty comment here>

Comment

Do you think they would work well for a heavy Pro Angler? Wonder what it would take to change out the wheels on a Hobie cart heavy duty.

Comment

Originally posted by Memory Maker View Post
                Do you think they would work well for a heavy Pro Angler? Wonder what it would take to change out the wheels on a Hobie cart heavy duty.
                The c-tug cart capacity is like 300lbs. So the issue would be getting the wheels to fit on the hobie cart.
                <insert witty comment here>

Comment

Anybody tried the Malone wheels

Comment

wider wheels help of course but their round shape still creates a point load which crushes soft sand and has to sink in some amount until pounds of load / sq inches of surface contact = soil strength. low soil strength requires more square inches. for round wheels that means sinking in deeper which creates deeper ruts.

i'd kind of like to try the double wheels but i think the real cheater is having low enough air pressure that the tires have an actual flat spot on bottom. this effectively turns wheel technology with point loading into track-laying. track laying is superior technoology for heavy equipment moving around in poor soil conditions. it's how surf fishermen do!

this is wheeleze. i didn't get the wheeleze because of the cost but expect that's probly best way to go for the very soft sand.

ps - you see a healthy set of heavy-texture ruts on the beach - just might be mine
                    Last edited by Southerly; 10-12-2013, 01:54 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Southerly View Post
                      ......... the real cheater is having low enough air pressure that the tires have an actual flat spot on bottom. this effectively turns wheel technology with point loading into track-laying. track laying is superior technology for heavy equipment moving around in poor soil conditions. it's how surf fishermen do! ......
                      I've done this a number of times with the cart... ala wheels from Harbor Freight. I'd just carry a small bicycle pump to inflate the tires for the pavement part of the haul.

But I'm sure it's not as efficient as the Wheeleze or fatty wheels.

Comment

I use harbor freight wheels. very tready looking things 6"w x 10" high with plastic hub and bushings. they're pneumatic but I never put air in.

kind of beside the point now but I expect they're high load capacity wheels. I had hoped for more flat spotting to do the air in/out thing. but my yak doesn't even put a dent in them. on the bright side - at least I don't have to worry about leaks.

the soft sand is kind of sucky but hell with it. I just do what has to be done and get it over with.

Comment

Considering the overall excellent quality I have come to expect from Hobie, the wheels have been a big disappointment to me. Considering their price point for even the basic model, I expected something that was at least solidly constructed and able to handle a fully loaded fishing kayak (granted, we all know their products are positioned as premium and thus have to deal with exorbitant prices, but still...). The upgraded cart you guys mention doesn't do much better. The welds on my cart broke within a few months of use, and the little allen wrench friction-tightened donuts on the scupper poles never stayed in place. i made do with a giant bolt passed through where the cross bar used to be.

Probably way too much info but all told, I wish they had engineered them as smartly as their mainline products are.

Comment

I'm talking about the Rover tires not the regular 1's

http://www.maloneautoracks.com/canoe-kayak-carts.php

They also have both types of cart frames for them

Originally posted by Southerly View Post
                            wider wheels help of course but their round shape still creates a point load which crushes soft sand and has to sink in some amount until pounds of load / sq inches of surface contact = soil strength. low soil strength requires more square inches. for round wheels that means sinking in deeper which creates deeper ruts.

i'd kind of like to try the double wheels but i think the real cheater is having low enough air pressure that the tires have an actual flat spot on bottom. this effectively turns wheel technology with point loading into track-laying. track laying is superior technoology for heavy equipment moving around in poor soil conditions. it's how surf fishermen do!

this is wheeleze. i didn't get the wheeleze because of the cost but expect that's probly best way to go for the very soft sand.

ps - you see a healthy set of heavy-texture ruts on the beach - just might be mine

Comment

they look like they'd be at least pretty good in soft sand but I haven't tried them.

my old cart used salvaged tricycle back wheels and in soft sand - were worse than just plain dragging the yak. it was like I was a mule, plowing the beach. my current wheels are 6" x 10" and are better than dragging, and is enough solution for my particular situation.

you might want to google around a little for 'power wheels'. I looked at these a little and found pretty good prices but gambled the pneumatic tires might be more help than it has actually worked out,... the power wheelz are provided on a variety of battery powered kids' vehicles made by fisher price and are available as replacements. don't know how difficult they would be to actually mount up and use. might need bushings or something. dunno

http://www.householdappliance.com/po...els_tires.html
                              Last edited by Southerly; 10-19-2013, 12:36 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X