Live Well / Spot Well Project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Live Well / Spot Well Project

Just wanted to share a little project I am working on.... When I set out building it I wanted a customized live well that fit snugly in my trident 13 and didn't have anything hanging over the sides....It's amazing what you can do with a little bit of googling and youtubing.. I do not take credit for the design only the construction

I had most of the parts minus the pump ($20), clear tubing ($1), pet food container container ($30) and through deck connector ($15). This build can get pretty costly if you don't already have the hardware and tools.

Parts:
    Vittle Vault
    Tsunami 500 GPH Pump
    Kayak Handle
    Marine Primer bulb
    5 hose clamps
    12 inches of 3/4"(interior)clear tubing
    x2 Screw hole zip ties
    x2 3/4" threaded PVC couplings
    1/2" pvc elbow hose connecter
    1/2" pvc elbow
    1/2" pvc
    1/2" pvc pipe cap
    x2 3/4" straight elbow
    Pop rivets
    Washers
    Goop

Tools:
    Electric Drill with varying bit sizes
    Pop-rivet gun
    Heat gun

Key take aways:

Water gets siphoned through one scupper hole and exits through the other.

Saw someone on youtube who used a heat gun on the bottom of the vittle vault next to the handles to help mold the container to the contour of the tridents hatch directly behind the seat thus moving it closer to the fisherman while creating a snug fit.

Check valves are essential in this type of set up. It was a little bit of trial and error with the placement and use of check valves but in the end I only used 1 check valve coming out of the primer bulb.

For the internal plumbing I used the heat gun to make a 45* bend in the 1/2" pvc then drilled small holes in the pvc for the water to flow out of. I have a short length of 3/4" pvc which I can take in and out of the outflow elbow to get 2 water levels.

Next Steps:

Attach rod holders
    Install through deck outlet
    Install toggle switch

I know its too late in the season to use but the inner Lego child in me was pushing for a project
    Attached Files
    Last edited by camelbird; 09-19-2013, 06:57 PM.

Very cool, nice work!
    -Mike
    Mike
    Feelfree Lure 11.5
    Ocean Kayak Zest Two EXP

Comment

Very cool!! The heat gun trick is neat, I've never seen that. The tube you are using, smaller diameter than scupper? I hope that will allow water to exit should you get a wave.

If anyone wants to build one I have the same vittle vault and will sell it to you for $10, a spool of braid, or pretty much anything else bartering! It's just taking up space in my house bc I went with a smaller one.
      Hobie Local Fishing Team - Backyard Boats
      Locations in Annapolis, MD and Woodbridge, VA
      https://www.backyardboats.com/

Comment

$10 is a good deal... Mike, great call on the diameter tubing! Good to go, thanks!

Here are the rod holders attached

and the water level adjustment piece.. plug n play
        Attached Files
        Last edited by camelbird; 09-19-2013, 08:41 PM.

Comment

Awesome job!
          Ryan
          Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
          Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

Comment

Wow! That looks great! You gonna be selling them online?
            Sun Fishin'

Comment

Dang .......... best 1 I've ever seen .......... GREAT job !!!!!!

Comment

Awesome build. Those would definitely sell.
                Mike

Comment

Thanks, guys

Took this one slow... definitely would have to pay my self WAY below minimum wage...haha

Comment

have you tested it? I have a similar setup with a 500gph pump. it doesn't drain fast enough and I have two drain holes so far. I think I'll just sell it and buy a pump with less flow.

Comment

Pinch made one a few years ago, it broke, and now I have it and made a few modifications. I'll post some pictures when I get home. For a pump we used a 350 gph and a 6v battery to limit the amount of water coming in. Are you using a 12v?
                      Hobie Local Fishing Team - Backyard Boats
                      Locations in Annapolis, MD and Woodbridge, VA
                      https://www.backyardboats.com/

Comment

Yes. I was going to hook it up with my ff battery. Maybe I'll need a 2nd battery. Thanks for the advice.

Comment

Very cool bro! High five to your inner Lego child!
                          -Mustafa
                          ابو مسقوف AbuMasgouf (Aboo-Mas-goof ): Fish Roast Papa
                          2016 Hobie Outback
                          2012 Hobie Revolution 13
                          "Be humble to whomever you learn from and whomever you teach."-- Imam al-Sadiq (as)

Comment

Originally posted by kuljc View Post
                            have you tested it? I have a similar setup with a 500gph pump. it doesn't drain fast enough and I have two drain holes so far. I think I'll just sell it and buy a pump with less flow.
                            Did a lot of bath tub testing... Which the wife didn't really like in the end for me it came down to water flow and slight restriction. By using smaller diameter pipes and allowing the water to only exit through small holes I found the perfect intake and drain. Plus the higher you have the pump from the water line the less GPh you really get. 1ft = x amount less GPh

As redfish suggested, a 6v battery might be the best option

Now onto the next project

Comment

Through deck outlet and plug installed.... marine toggle switch installed... wiring completed
                              Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                              X