Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can you read Color Fish finder in the dark?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can you read Color Fish finder in the dark?

I am planning to fish at night often.
    Can you read Color Fish finder in the dark without any other light sources? Do you turn on the back light like black and white fish finders? Do they work as car GPS map?

Thanks,
    Joe
    Fish like there's no tomorrow.
    Youtube UserID: ComeOnFish01 (Over 300 kayak fishing videos in mid-Atlantic (DE, MD & VA)
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKb...JtmNcSJBi2Sazg

On a Lowrance unit the backlight is normally on bright for day use. You have to really dim it at night so you aren't blinded by it. Everything else stays the same

Comment

Capt C-Hawk,
      So Color FF are similar to the portable Vehicle GPS map. I can adjust the brightness of the screens.

Thanks
      Joe
      Youtube UserID: ComeOnFish01 (Over 300 kayak fishing videos in mid-Atlantic (DE, MD & VA)

Comment

Originally posted by Capt C-Hawk View Post
        On a Lowrance unit the backlight is normally on bright for day use. You have to really dim it at night so you aren't blinded by it. Everything else stays the same
        THIS!!!! I have a Lowrance and didn't know how to change the screen brightness.... I had a REALLY hard time seeing anything at night bc it's so bright. Went home and learned how to use it. There are 10 brightness settings. I use 0 or 3 for night time depending on how bright the moon is.

Comment

Hahaha...no problem seeing in low light. I feel like mine could double for a light source :-)

Light Tackle Kayak Trolling the Chesapeake Bay, Author
          Light Tackle Kayak Jigging the Chesapeake Bay, Author
          Light Tackle Fishing Patterns of the Chesapeake Bay, Author
          Kokatat Pro Staff
          Torqeedo Pro Staff
          Humminbird Pro Staff

2011 Ivory Dune Outback and 2018 Solo Skiff
          Alan

Comment

There is actually a night view setting on my lowrance elite 4 much like my garmin gps in my truck but the garmin goes into night view automatically based on the available light. Both change the brightness and color configuration for the dark and easy reading.
            Last edited by On the fly; 09-22-2013, 06:29 AM.

Comment

OK,
              When I get a new color FF, I will read instructions.
              Anyway, so brightness doesn't matter, it will drain the battery at the same rate regardless the brightness setting. Am I right?

joe

Comment

Originally posted by ComeOnFish View Post
                OK,
                Anyway, so brightness doesn't matter, it will drain the battery at the same rate regardless the brightness setting. Am I right?

joe
                Joe, I have one of the Cabelas 12v 8ah batteries and get three full days on a charge running the elite 4 dsi. I imagine a larger unit would use more juice, but this Lowrance has all of the bells and whistles. RE the other question, you get the same screen view as in your truck, only of the waterway or the bottom.

Comment

Originally posted by ComeOnFish View Post
                  OK,

joe

I would say my fish finder is more viewable at night than during the day due to no sun glare. As far as battery consumption it is based on the backlight. This is listed on the lowrance website under the different specs they give an amp draw for backlight off and an amp draw backlight on. IE: Power Consumption / Current Draw 700 mA (Backlight On); 400 mA (Backlight Off) . Battery draw has never been a concern for me as my battery lasts multiple days of use but definitely at night you don't need much backlight to see.
                  2014 Hobie Outback

Comment

Thank you very much for the Info

Joe

Comment

Working...
                    X