Sweet new paddle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sweet new paddle

Over the past half year, I decided I wanted a much lighter paddle than the fiberglass shafted AquaBound Manta Ray I have used for the past 5 years. After considerable research and an opportunity to field test several models when I fished with a guide in Florida, I made my purchase. My criteria, in addition to being light weight, were a large blade area and a 240 cm shaft. These two features are usually mutually exclusive in stock paddles. Generally paddles with large blades are used by paddlers with a vertical paddle stroke, which for most average sized guys, means a shorter paddle (200-215 cm). However, I am considerably taller than average and use a vertical stroke. I was able to special order a Werner Ikelos Carbon paddle in a 240 cm shaft length. It came into Annapolis Canoe and Kayak today. I picked it up this afternoon and was once again amazed at how light the paddle is. I believe it is at least 10 oz. lighter than my current paddle and it has slightly larger blade area too.

It was expensive, but I can justify the cost as a preventative measure to prolong the life of my shoulder joints, which began aching this fall after several long paddle trolling trips. Plus Annapolis Canoe and Kayak offered a 20% discount on all purchases made that day for those who attended my kayak fishing seminar last month (they are planning another seminar for Jan or Feb -- more details later). That certainly helped.

Now for the sad part of the story. My wife never knows what to get me for Christmas. To avoid getting something I don't really want, I sometimes buy an item I want during the fall and give it to her to wrap and give back to me on Christmas. That means I will need to wait until after Christmas to try out the new paddle.
    John Veil
    Annapolis
    Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

John,

Congrats on the new paddle. I hope it addresses your shoulder concerns.

Also, I admire your willpower about staying true to 25 December -- especially with Christmas Carols already blasting on the intercoms of stores weeks before Thanksgiving!
    Mark
    Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
    Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
    Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Nice John, sounds like a sweet paddle!

Comment

The CF paddles are truly the shit. I have the Wener Ikelos Carbon Paddle, and I dont think i will ever go back to anything else. I have used other fiberglass ones while traveling, and while still light, are not. I dont get out as much as you do John, but one thing I noticed is that I have no muscle fatigue the day after like one would expect. Glad you like your new setup, to bad you dont get to try it out soon.
        Keith
        2012 Hobie Pro Angler 14

Comment

John, the proper way to do it is to wrap it up, label it "To John from Santa" put it under tree and on Christmas day exclaim how you believe! I've been doing this since my kids were little , now my sweet Granddaughter, Sophia, will see the waist high waders Santa gets me this year!......Jack

Comment

Originally posted by J.A. Veil View Post
            It was expensive, but I can justify the cost as a preventative measure to prolong the life of my shoulder joints, which began aching this fall after several long paddle trolling trips.
            hmmmmm, I wonder if that might be tax deductible as preventative medical expense... (just kidding, but then again.....)
            2018 Hobie Outback (seagrass)
            Old Town Camper Canoe (red)

Comment

Working...
            X