Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Need to put a depth/fish finder on my yak.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need to put a depth/fish finder on my yak.

I am trying to figure out the best value for putting a finder on my yak but I have never dealt with any of the, so I wanted to get some info from you guys on what to buy and how to install it. THANKS!

what type of kayak do you have and what type of fishing do you do?
    Dave

Wilderness Systems Ride 115

Comment

I have the ascend FS 12. I usually am a freshwater guy but I want to do the rivers and possibly the bay as well.

Comment

When I used to paddle a sit inside kayak I used a couple of different portable fish finder setups.

If you are interested I have a Humminbird PiranhaMax 150 with a portable case. You can slip it under the bungees in front of you on the FS12 and use the suction cup attachment for the transducer. No drilling or permanent mods needed and the unit runs off of AA batteries. I would be happy to loan it to you so you can see what a basic fish finder can do.

Shoot me a PM and I can UPS it off to you.

After you get a feel for a fish finder you can decide if you want a bigger screen, color, gps, down imaging and all the other bells and whistles. I currently use a Humminbird 346c DI which I am pretty happy with (I primarily fish fresh water for large and smallmouth bass).
        Dave

Wilderness Systems Ride 115

Comment

I just sold a big boat and just purchase a yak. I was fumbling over the whole fishfinder/chartplotter model hunt for my Pro Angler 14. As I sit here typing this message, I have my new Lowrance Elite-7 HDI clamped to my desk to update the software and load maps. After playing with it a bit, it seems like it's going to be a great yak fishing tool. It seems large for a yak but it will probably be a very useful tool to hunt fish. I figured that since I'll be traveling so much slower and covering less area on the water, a good fishfinder/chartplotter will be money well spent. This unit seemed to be good compromise on cost and capability. I think the downscan function will come in very handy. I'll report some better opinions on it after I start using it, hopefully this weekend.
          Live for today, and fish often...
          2014 Pro Angler 14
          St. Jerome Creek, Dameron

Comment

i need to get one myself... ill start looking at them in a month or two, i have to order my x-wing console for my malibu
            Native Watercraft Pro Staff
            2016 Native Watercraft Slayer Propel 13 Lizard Lick

2016 CCA MD "BLUE CAT" Tournament 2nd place
            33rd MSSA "THE CHAMPIONSHIP" Tournament 1st place
            2016 Curley's White Perch Tournament 1st place

Comment

There are plenty of threads on this website to help direct you. Take what the fellas are telling you, then go to Bass Pro or similar shop & see the units in person. Think about what type of fishing you do & all of it combined will help you make your decision. I have owned 3 top name, fiberglass bass boats with some top of the line electronics (at the time, pre 2004)...and I can tell you, none of them have put me on fish like the little unit I have on my kayak...a Humminbird Piranha 4. Someone gave it to me but new they are like $90. When/if this units goes I may go up just a notch in Model but I cant believe what this little unit has done for me. One thing I did do is rig the transducer to some pvc so it is directly in the water, no thru hull shooting for the signal. In the attached pics, you can see how how I rigged my unit to a piece of PVC & I place it one of the scuppers...im not big on drilling...GOPR0132.jpgGOPR0158.jpg Have fun.
              Jackson - BIG TUNA

Comment

I will keep those bits of info in mind when I go for my unit. I really want one before I start the season next year.

Comment

Working...
                X