Hobie Rod Holder/Trolling Rig

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hobie Rod Holder/Trolling Rig

In a recent post I have had some inquiries about my rod holders, this is version 3.0 and it's exactly what I wanted. It can hold five rods and troll two rods at the same time. I spent about $55 dollars in material, money well spent. As most know, you need 1 1/4" PVC to fit into the factory molded rod holders, then convert to 1 1/2". Be sure your transition pieces are as close as you can get them to the top of the molded rod holders. What I did next was added "tees" instead of the traditional 90 degree fittings, this was able to get me up to five rods.

Once the "tees" are installed pay close attention to the measurements, mine was two inches of pipe leading to the next 90 degree transition. This number does not include the pipe inside the fitting just the O.D. measurements. Use the plumbing fittings that provide the most amount of pipe to enter the fitting. Not sure of the actual type...I know there are two different types in the plumbing world. Also, if you can build what you can first without gluing. This can be difficult dissembling, but well worth it. This 2 inches prevents the assembly from touching your back when you are leaning in your seat. Another important measurement is the 23 1/2" cross member (he said member, hehe). Again, this is an outside dimension measurement. This is the measurement that you can screw up....it can make the whole assembly be too tight or too loose entering the hobie molded rod holders. If you notice, I use the bungee cords as a safety precaution to keep the rod holder in place.

When I installed the crossbar and was comfortable with the fit, I then found center and placed the center four-way fitting on top of the pipe to mark my actually cutting points. Then reassembled and split the difference again on both side of center to fine tune the location of the outer two four-ways. Then I glued the cross bar together. Everything else should be more simple. To make the reel handle slots, I used a 7/8" paddle bit (I think) and measure four inches down from top of the extenders. Then used a jig saw to cut out the rest of the PVC. Finally, used a dremmel to smooth out the edges. Be sure the slots on the outer four-ways are slightly turned towards the outside of the boat, that way the bails from the reels are not bumping each other. But before doing this, I used wine bottle and torch to flare out the edges. This makes getting the rods in and out of the holder soooooo much easier!! Be sure to reinforce the important sections with 1/2" stainless steel screws, the glue alone will not last with all the stress from inserting and removing the rig....not to mention the rockfish slamming your bait while trolling!

Another tip is if you get the trolling extending pipes just right, they make great arm rests. Finally, the last pic is two 15ft towing straps I got from amazon to store my kayak. Simple and cheap...it also makes a great working bench for the kayak when they are completely lowered. Sorry for the lengthy post, but I screwed this up a few times during the process.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by sparky1423; 11-10-2013, 12:33 PM.
    2015 OLIVE HOBIE OUTBACK
    2013 OLIVE HOBIE OUTBACK
    2013 OCEAN KAYAK TRIDENT 13

JEREMY D

Pics are back up
    Attached Files
    2015 OLIVE HOBIE OUTBACK
    2013 OLIVE HOBIE OUTBACK

JEREMY D

Comment

that's some serious Do it yourself, nicely done

Comment

Unfortunately i didn't saw this thread before i ordered 'lucky triple fishing rod' online,trying to finish setting up my outback before the PLO meet & greet,but noluck.i'll make sure next meeting i'll be attending, should have done this same way too....

Comment

rod holder.jpg

Thanks Sparky! Before you posted this I was inspired by your rig during the Oct M&G to try my own design. Mine is all 1 1/4 PVC and to make a straight line across the top I used a 45 degree fitting, a stub piece, and a T fitting that I twisted around until it all lined up. I made sure to use a pen and made lines connecting each piece so they lined up the same way when I glued them. Oh, and I also learned that before it sets, PVC cement will actually make the connections slip in easily and further together then dry fitting the pieces. Just keep in mind 1-1/4 pipe, fully seated, goes 1-1/4 inches into a fitting so its easy to remember. My holders sit pretty high and that is to allow a milk carton or cooler to sit below them while keeping them in reach. I have other projects I will post to include a PVC/Wood hybrid cart on wheels for a pair of kayaks and a pvc pipe kayak loader to help put the Outback on top of a high sitting SUV. Both will be seperate threads.

Comment

Sweet setup! How do you raise and lower the straps for your kayak?
            2013 Yellow Hobie Outback
            Kayak Fishing Blog - Cymbula Piscator

Comment

The straps are cambuckle style, not the ratcheting type. Basically, I screwed in 4 eye hooks into the ceiling joists of my garage. One set three feet apart, then another set three feet apart. Each set is spaced about 6ft. One side of the eye hooks will hold the short end with the cambuckles...the opposite side will hold the longer straps. One you feed the end of the strap through each cambuckle, a large loop is created...then do it to the other straps. The 15ft straps give you large enough loop for the kayak to almost reach the garage floor (at least in my garage). Slide the kayak through both loops, then alternated pulling the straps to raise the kayak. Once the kayak is half way up, I open the hatches and flip upside down to drain the hull and dry all the moisture. Just do the opposite to lower. Be sure once you first slide the strap through the cambuckle, tie a knot in the end of the strap (on both). That way you don't accidentally lower the kayak too much and have to keep feeding through the strap. Only takes about a minute to raise or lower. I would recommend a 2" wide strap.

By the way, if you have kids...the lowered loops make excellent swings while you're out fishing. I tell them to stop it...but they are like rain puddles, can't resist it.
              Last edited by sparky1423; 11-11-2013, 08:36 PM.
              2015 OLIVE HOBIE OUTBACK
              2013 OLIVE HOBIE OUTBACK

JEREMY D

Comment

Working...
              X