Pro angler 14 storage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pro angler 14 storage

I know this topic has been beat pretty good. I decided to post anyway in case it may help some one. This idea is off the Hobie forum and it works good for me. Parts cost around $135.00 with the remote control winch and pulleys coming from Harbor Freight. It raises and lowers directly onto the trailer. The hard part is bolting onto the ceiling rafters.ceiling.jpg I used two boards down here so they wouldn't bend. 2x6x10. boards.jpg The winch is up out of the way and operated by a remote control.winch.jpg I'm using an old jet ski battery which seems to work pretty good. Here is the finished product. I may add some padding around the straps. My Hobie is happy and so am I. kayak.jpg

I been thinking about having the same setup but raising and lowering by hand. Might steal your idea now.
    Jason

-2017 ivory dune pro angler 12' with micro power pole, Lowrance EliteTI7, boonedox landing gear
    -2015 olive outback with Lowrance Hook7,micro power pole, seadek kit, micro power pole
    -Orange Heritage featherlite

Comment

I just got a Harken Hoister (7803) four point hoist from Amazon today. I will be increasing it tomorrow. I think it has a 6-1 lift advantage. It's a 145# lift with should just about do it. I also looked into what you did but decided to keep it simple and have less extra gear in the garage. I will let you know if it works. I still need to get a 6" wide truck strap from my buddy. I would definitely look for some wide straps, greater than about 3".
      Live for today, and fish often...
      2014 Pro Angler 14
      St. Jerome Creek, Dameron

Comment

I dont think wide straps is really an issue, there only supporting the hual weight, no real stress involved. They would look better im sure
        Jason

-2017 ivory dune pro angler 12' with micro power pole, Lowrance EliteTI7, boonedox landing gear
        -2015 olive outback with Lowrance Hook7,micro power pole, seadek kit, micro power pole
        -Orange Heritage featherlite

Comment

That system looks great and it's a real space saver. But I thought that kayaks are best stored on a flat surface top down and bottom up. I'm not sure why that would be and perhaps others here can elaborate.

When I got my Hobie from Backyard Boats last spring I asked if I could leave the cart in the scuppers to raise the hull off the floor of my garage during storage and the answer was no. It's best to lay it flat. So I purchased a carpet runner and store my boat on that. But I do not turn it over. The hull is on the carpet.

Is it bad to leave the boat on the floor with the hull down during the prolonged storage of the winter? (My garage is not heated.)

Many thanks,

Mark
          Mark
          Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
          Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
          Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Looks great! I wish I had a big garage like that!

If you can find some wider straps (JKay posted his setup using a fire hose I believe) then it will help spread the weight and should keep the hull from deforming. Otherwise, you may see some indentations from the straps over time - especially when your garage heats up.
            Used to fish more.

Comment

Fire hose is a good idea. My neighbor is a fireman. Will check into it. These straps are ok for now but in the long run I would rather have wider straps. Will keep looking around.

Comment

Originally posted by Mark View Post
                So I purchased a carpet runner and store my boat on that. But I do not turn it over. The hull is on the carpet.

Is it bad to leave the boat on the floor with the hull down during the prolonged storage of the winter? (My garage is not heated.)

Many thanks,

Mark
                I have a walk out basement. I store both of my kayaks upright on the basement floor on carpet runner strips. They have shown no problems being stored that way.

013.jpg 021.jpg 022.jpg
                John Veil
                Annapolis
                Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

John,

Thank you.

That's good to know.
                  Mark
                  Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
                  Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
                  Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Originally posted by groundhog View Post
                    Fire hose is a good idea. My neighbor is a fireman. Will check into it. These straps are ok for now but in the long run I would rather have wider straps. Will keep looking around.
                    I just finished putting my garage hoist up yesterday. I'll try to post some pictures tonight. I used some lifting straps that I had unused that worked ok. I think they are 3" straps. I'm probably going to make some custom straps from some truck tie down straps my friend is going to donate. I think you can find them at truck stops or I'm sure you can find them online somewhere. Amazon sells some perfect strap that is 4"X30' for about $16, search for 'Boxer Tools 4X30 Strap/Flt Hook'. I think the only way I can get the yak close to the ceiling is to make custom straps from stock strap. The tie points is my limit to the lifting height.

I have to say I was nervous about leaving the yak lifted overnight, they yak is really heavy and is near the limit of the hoist. I left it suspended just above the garage floor over night and there doesn't seem to be any issues. I highly recommend the Harken Hoister four point hoist, it seems to be well worth the money if you spend the time to rig it correctly. I'm just need to courage to leave it lifted 12' above my concrete garage floor. I think the yak would be totalled falling from that height, along with the $1000 in electronics.
                    2014 Pro Angler 14

Comment

And air condition too!
                      Yellow Submarine - Hobie PA
                      Stealth Green Tarpon 140
                      Orange Koho Perception

Comment

I just finished rigging a hoist in the garage for my 2014 Pro Angler 14. It's worked out well thus far. I had to make some custom straps out of truck tie down strap. I have attached some pictures. Let me know if you have any questions.
                        20131126_073132.jpg20131126_073151.jpg20131126_073215.jpg20131126_073237.jpg20131126_073259.jpg20131126_073332.jpg20131126_073356.jpg20131126_073407.jpg20131126_073419.jpg
                        2014 Pro Angler 14

Comment

Now that looks great...Plum up out of the way...

Comment

I have a manual hoist that I have been using for 1 1/2 years for my Trident. I use 3 inch straps and position them under the scuppers and have not seen any deformation. With the gear in it, it probably weighs about 85 pounds so it is not as bad as a Hobie. My biggest problem is that the yak won't rise evenly. The bow is always going up first and I have to pull it back to level or lower before I grab another handful of line. I am considering buying a hand winch from Harbor Freight and running two lines up instead of one.
                            John

Ocean Kayak Trident 13 Angler (Sand)
                            MK Endura Max 55 backup power
                            Vibe Skipjack 90

Graduate of the University of the Republic of South Vietnam, class of 1972

Comment

The Hoister kit lifts evenly using a single pull line and is a 4-point hoist. My Pro Angler weighs probably near 130#. The lift is rated for 145#. I have no issues raising or lowering the kayak manually. I highly recommend the Hoister kits. I should have considered the 200# kit but the one I have seems to work fine.
                              2014 Pro Angler 14

Comment

Working...
                              X