Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

hull deforming?

Originally posted by Redfish12 View Post
    If you can find some wider straps (JKay posted his setup using a fire hose I believe) then it will help spread the weight and should keep the hull from deforming. Otherwise, you may see some indentations from the straps over time - especially when your garage heats up.
    Is this really an issue?

I had an OK Frenzy hanging from my garage ceiling for over 5 years using nylon rope through one scupper up front and one scupper in back. Never any issues. Now I suspend my Torque with a homemade pulley system (basically the same setup as the Harken 2 Point Hoister). I'm using the same nylon rope from the Frenzy. Except instead of threading the rope through the scuppers, I cut 2 short lengths of rope to cradle the hull. I run these pieces of rope through a couple lengths of garden hose to keep the rope from rubbing the hull.

All this talk about wide straps got me thinking.... but then I look at my Torque and just don't see it being an issue.

Has anyone here ever experience hull deforming/warping?
    2018 Hobie Outback (seagrass)
    Old Town Camper Canoe (red)

Comment

I honestly dont think it will be an issue. I suspend my pro angler from two 1" wide straps. But! I used to leave my kayak out in the elements with the wheels in the scuppers and there is now a indentation from the "H" bar i think the heat ofthe sun helped that form. Summer time i expect that dent to come out with the heat of the sun and ill store the kayak upside down in the sun. And for that indentation to form i havent touched my kayak from after the cbka until about 2 weeks ago when i decided to hang the kayak. So that didnt happen over night. If you use your kayak regularly i wouldnt sweat that deformation issue
      Jason

-2017 ivory dune pro angler 12' with micro power pole, Lowrance EliteTI7, boonedox landing gear
      -2015 olive outback with Lowrance Hook7,micro power pole, seadek kit, micro power pole
      -Orange Heritage featherlite

Comment

I have never had a problem hanging in the garage but I have had one sag on the car rack when I left it outside in the sun all day. I don't do that anymore.
        John

Ocean Kayak Trident 13 Angler (Sand)
        MK Endura Max 55 backup power
        Vibe Skipjack 90

Graduate of the University of the Republic of South Vietnam, class of 1972

Comment

Working...
        X