Built a Rack this Weekend

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Built a Rack this Weekend

So i've had the PA sitting on a couple cardboard boxes in my garage for the last three weeks, and this weekend i finally got around to building a storage rack for it. I would like to do a ceiling lift at some point, but we're renting right now so i couldn't go mounting a bunch of stuff in the garage.

The build was super simple and took about an hour and a half. It has great weight distribution across probably 75% of the bottom. I also built it the same height as my open tailgate so sliding it in and out of the truck is effortless. I'll probably throw some rod holders and stuff on it somewhere, so i can keep everything on it.

Here's a couple bad pics.. I'll put up some better ones when I get a chance to roll it outside and take some....

IMG_20131124_144556_624.jpg
    IMG_20131124_144613_583.jpg
    2013 Hobie Pro Angler 14

Nice job. I like the use of the PVC pipes.

Comment

Great idea to build it to the height of the truck tailgate. The easier is it to load the more frequently you will fish (and it sure helps at the end of really long day on the water).
      Dave

Wilderness Systems Ride 115

Comment

Very nice! And on wheels too!
        2013 Yellow Hobie Outback
        Kayak Fishing Blog - Cymbula Piscator

Comment

Looks good! I also like the forethought of having it the same height as your bed. Did you consider using keel rollers to make loading/unloading even easier? I was thinking of fabricating a bed extender to slide into the hitch receiver with a keel roller just above the tailgate. I know, that's a lot of hassle for one quick lift.

I don't have a PA, so I am not sure how it is supposed to be stored. My SIK is pretty low tech but is supposed to be stored on it's side.

Another question to all of you PA guys, how hard do you find it to be loading/unloading your yak in a parking lot considering the weight? Do you have to remove all of your gear first? I've torn up my back and shoulders over the years and have been thinking about a PA but don't want to go that route if it gets too heavy or awkward to move around easily by myself. A cart is one thing, but getting it in and out of the truck is still a PITA and I do not currently have any room to store it on a trailer in the garage...too much other crap
          LL Bean (Perception) Manatee DLX Angler 9.5'
          Hobie Pro Angler 12

Comment

thanks guys,

dsiekman,
            I'm not gonna lie, the pro angler is not a light yak in comparison to others for sure. but I have the 14'er and i don't find it hard to load at all. You will definitely want a cart for the trip from the truck to the water, but throwing one end on the tail gate and then lifting the other end and sliding it in is not a problem.. While heavy for a kayak, 138 lbs isn't that heavy..
            2013 Hobie Pro Angler 14

Comment

Thanks, Overboard. Part of my current issue may be a high bed and a short boat. It screws up the physics and becomes more about lifting than sliding. Didn't mean to hijack your thread.
              LL Bean (Perception) Manatee DLX Angler 9.5'
              Hobie Pro Angler 12

Comment

looks good, more storage under there..

Comment

Working...
                X