Installing a fish finder on a Scrambler xt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Installing a fish finder on a Scrambler xt

Hey guys I'm finally making the decision to install a fish finder on my yak. Would like to spend more time catching fish than trying to find them. 1395812_10152346870239689_461788710_n.jpg
    That's my kayak there after I painted it a few weeks ago. As you can see I do not have the front rubber hatch, and as of now don't really want to either unless I absolutely have to. I'm trying to install a fish finder that is both cost efficient and easy. I'd like to keep as few holes drilled in my boat as possible. I've read that a lot of people like to mount the transducer right through the scupper hole. In the scrambler models the scupper holes are a wide oval as opposed to a regular circle. Would this still be possible? Or would it be smarter to just get a suction cup mount and strap it to the side (this is what seems easiest to me but I've been wrong before). Thanks for your input guys!
    Zack
    Camo 2014 OK Trident Ultra 4.7
    Blue 2015 Ascend FS12T
    "WV RiverRat" on Youtube.

Without opening one of the hatches, you are going to have to figure out how you will keep the battery and wiring tied down and out of the way. I'm not familiar with the Scrambler, but here's a link that might give you some ideas.
    http://jimspears.net/kayakdiving/pages/27.htm
    BRETT
    Red/Yellow COBRA Navigator

Comment

Nice yak. Wow, no hatches. You may want to install a hatch to access the interior of the hull. Then you'll have many more transducer mounting options, and you have a place for the battery and wires. Installing a hatch may sound daunting, but it's actually not that hard, other than having to get over the fact that you're cutting a huge hole in your kayak.

The other option is an arm on your crate that holds the transducer over the side.
      Mike S.
      Hobie Outback
      Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers
      3D Printed Hobie Hatch Bucket

Comment

If it were me, i would want a hatch to glue the transducer on the inside, more protection for the transducer and with an arm hanging off the side and in the water may create more drag or get in the way of the paddle, when i had a freedom hawk they also had no hatches. I was always knocking the transducer with my paddle. I couldnt stand it. And if u have a hatch it alows for more storage. For maybe a dry bag., battety... Etc...
        Jason

-2017 ivory dune pro angler 12' with micro power pole, Lowrance EliteTI7, boonedox landing gear
        -2015 olive outback with Lowrance Hook7,micro power pole, seadek kit, micro power pole
        -Orange Heritage featherlite

Comment

Yea the more I think about it the more I think it'd be pretty annoying dealing with the drag/nuisance of an arm mount. Think I'm gonna have to nut up and cut my first hole in the yak for a hatch. I was just dreading spending $60 for a rubber oval from OK -_-
          Zack
          Blue 2015 Ascend FS12T

Comment

Sorry, a bit OT, but how did you even get one w/out the hatches? and why the black paint?

Anyways, maybe if you just cut for the front hatch and then installed the FF right on top of the hatch cover it would limit the hole drilling.
            Ryan
            Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
            Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

Comment

Originally posted by sega View Post
              I was just dreading spending $60 for a rubber oval from OK -_-
              Check with your local dealer. My local dealer sells OK stuff far below their suggested retail.
              2018 Hobie Outback (seagrass)
              Old Town Camper Canoe (red)

Comment

It's an older model. It was the basic model they sold for mainly divers. But I could add the two hatchs, two flush rod holders and it would be the same thing as the angler edition which is priced up a lot more. I love it! A steal for $200!
                Zack
                Blue 2015 Ascend FS12T

Comment

And I painted it dark green to make the transition on my eyes when sight casting a little easier. Going from yellow to dark water colors takes longer to adjust even in polarized glasses. Got the idea from kayak Kevin.
                  Zack
                  Blue 2015 Ascend FS12T

Comment

Buy another yak with hatches and leave that one as is....my .02
                    Yellow Submarine - Hobie PA
                    Stealth Green Tarpon 140
                    Orange Koho Perception

Comment

Originally posted by sega View Post
                      Yea the more I think about it the more I think it'd be pretty annoying dealing with the drag/nuisance of an arm mount. Think I'm gonna have to nut up and cut my first hole in the yak for a hatch. I was just dreading spending $60 for a rubber oval from OK -_-
                      I tried the arm mount on my SIK and hated it as well. It worked so-so at best and definately slowed me down. After trying to over think it and trying several internal options including a sealed tank well and gluing it in, I finally used the open tank well made from duct seal and splash a little water in each time when I go out. I find this solution has worked the best for me.
                      LL Bean (Perception) Manatee DLX Angler 9.5'
                      Hobie Pro Angler 12

Comment

Working...
                      X