Hobie Livewell Help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hobie Livewell Help

I purchased a Hobie livewell when I got my Pro Angler 14 recently but I haven't got the thing working correctly yet. I'm having a very difficult time getting the pump to prime. I'm working on getting the right length for the pick up tube still but the last time I went out with the thing I couldn't get it to prime using pedal power. I talked to Hobie about this and they did say that in theory it should prime if you can get the boat moving up to about 4-mph, yeah right. I have heard that other folks have had issues with this too. I'm considering trying something and was interested if anyone else has tried it yet. I'm going attempt to wire in my 12-volt battery to the pump, along with the 6-volt battery that comes with the livewell, to help get the pump primed. The pump is a 12-volt pump but they use a 6-volt pump to keep the circulation low with the notion that it will reduce the stress on the bait. I need some electrical engineering advice on how I can keep the livewell configured as is but have a pigtail type connection to connect the 12-volt source just for priming when I have it on the yak but not back feed the 6-volt battery. Basically, I'd like to have a switch just for priming the system and have a simple connection to the livewell without reconfiguring the livewell setup with the 6-volt battery. I'm probably not conveying this very well but if anyone understands what I'm trying to do, please help if you can. I'll be trying to do some homework in the meantime and will probably have to pull out my old electrical lab books from college.
    Live for today, and fish often...
    2014 Pro Angler 14
    St. Jerome Creek, Dameron

The power of the pump has nothing to do with priming the waterline, unless a self priming pump. There is air in the line. Is it possible to get some type of small hand pump onto the end of the water line, which sucks the water up the line to the pump. I use that sort of thing with fish tank water lines to prime pumps. If there is air at the impeller or diaphragm the pump may not prime.

Comment

I know I don't have to say it but Do you have the tube pointing toward the front of the yak so water is forced in the tube while you're pedaling

Comment

Originally posted by DOGFISH View Post
        The power of the pump has nothing to do with priming the waterline, unless a self priming pump. There is air in the line. Is it possible to get some type of small hand pump onto the end of the water line, which sucks the water up the line to the pump. I use that sort of thing with fish tank water lines to prime pumps. If there is air at the impeller or diaphragm the pump may not prime.
        Respectfully, there is not air in the line and according to Hobie it is a problem that is a result of using a 6-volt batter for a 12-volt pump. The pump will not turn the impeller fast enough to draw the water up the long length of tube required to reach the water through the scuppers of the Pro Angler. I'm fairly certain that this is a common problem facing folks using the Hobie livewell on the Pro Angler. My first investigation to determine my problem was checking for leaks in the system and I didn't find any issues with the connections to the pump. I have primed the pump and had only the pickup in the water and the pump never drew air in or leaked water out.
        2014 Pro Angler 14

Comment

Originally posted by Memory Maker View Post
          I know I don't have to say it but Do you have the tube pointing toward the front of the yak so water is forced in the tube while you're pedaling
          Yes, thanks for checking, I did change out the tube that came with my livewell because it was too short and I made sure it was facing forward. I'm going to try a bit longer tube next time just to be 100% sure its down in the water through the scupper. I'm pretty sure that's not the problem since I've done some test at the house. Thanks for the response and I have heard that some folks have neglected to ensure that the pickup is facing forward.
          2014 Pro Angler 14

Comment

You can back prime it by filling the tank till it covers the pick up tube outlet.The water that flows from the tank into your pick up tube should complete the prime so the pump will not have to work as hard. Then turn on the pump. This obviously will not solve the problem of an under voltage, but if it works it can pinpoint the problem as the pump and eliminate a possible air leak in the system.

Comment

Looking around I see that this priming issue is a common problem on the Hobie live well. Read that it used to come with 2 intake tubes. A short one for the PA12 and a longer one for the PA14.
              Several folks use a long tube making sure it sticks out about 1 inch below the hull... facing forward and peddling about as fast as they can.

Some people just use a bucket at the launch to pour in enough water to cover the pump.

One thought that occurred to me would be to attach a fuel line primer bulb to the outlet of the pump. Sure you will have to reach in the tank to prime it, but 2 or 3 squeezes should do the job. Plus the check valve in the bulb will keep water from draining out of the tank should you decide at some point to turn the pump off.
              2018 Hobie Outback (seagrass)
              Old Town Camper Canoe (red)

Comment

Originally posted by buzz View Post
                Looking around I see that this priming issue is a common problem on the Hobie live well. Read that it used to come with 2 intake tubes. A short one for the PA12 and a longer one for the PA14.
                Several folks use a long tube making sure it sticks out about 1 inch below the hull... facing forward and peddling about as fast as they can.

Some people just use a bucket at the launch to pour in enough water to cover the pump.

One thought that occurred to me would be to attach a fuel line primer bulb to the outlet of the pump. Sure you will have to reach in the tank to prime it, but 2 or 3 squeezes should do the job. Plus the check valve in the bulb will keep water from draining out of the tank should you decide at some point to turn the pump off.
                Yeah, I'm kinda assuming my tube is not long enough. I made a new one but I think it's still too short. The primer bulb and check valve ideas could be a big help. I'd still like to find a way to use my 12-volt battery to prime the system. I would think that if I ran the pump with the 12-volt battery it would prime correctly. I guess I should prove that first before I start cutting wires and putting more electronics on a yak. Thanks for the suggestions.
                2014 Pro Angler 14

Comment

Jambone, did you ever get the pump wired the way you wanted it?
                  Found a part on eBay that might help. Its a 12-volt to 6-volt reducer used to power a heater fan on an old 6-volt car.

12-6-reducer.jpghttp://www.ebay.com/itm/12-Volt-to-6...-/350972998800

Here's how I would hook it up for your application.
                  hobiepumpschem.jpg
                  2018 Hobie Outback (seagrass)
                  Old Town Camper Canoe (red)

Comment

Working...
                  X