Lake Anna Stripers for Lowrance Elite 4x Testing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lake Anna Stripers for Lowrance Elite 4x Testing

Occasionally, I was asked if I could provide screen shots with fish images. So I tried.
    Dave (HokeDJ) gave me a Lowrance Elite 4x several weeks ago. Yesterday, I had a chance to see the fish images of stripers.
    The images of the stripers (at 16-20") were very clear when stripers were down more than 9' down.

Several times, I located stripers by using the fish images on the Lowrance Elite 4x. I caught over 20 stripers. The most of screenshots but few on the video are clear
    The default Video resolution setting on the site is 360. Change it to 720 (HD)
    The water temp was 44-45F (I carried a thermometer) not 48F on the FF

Joe
    Last edited by ComeOnFish; 12-22-2013, 11:48 PM.
    Fish like there's no tomorrow.
    Youtube UserID: ComeOnFish01 (Over 300 kayak fishing videos in mid-Atlantic (DE, MD & VA)
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKb...JtmNcSJBi2Sazg

nice work!
    14.5 ft Sand colored Malibu X-Factor "the promise"
    2010 Hobie Outback "the Gift Horse II"

Comment

Looked like fun nice work. How's the rigging coming along on your Outback?
      Ocean Kayak Trident 13: Sand

Comment

awesome stuff... I knew I should have made the trip down there on Saturday
        2013 Hobie Pro Angler 14

Comment

Very cool. I'm getting the Elite 4 dsi. I would also like to try fishing Lake Anna soon.

Comment

Nice work on the fish and great video - where did you launch from?

Comment

Originally posted by daolai View Post
              Nice work on the fish and great video - where did you launch from?
              daolai and JohnE,

Here is some Info about Lake Anna in winter

I learned that Lake Anna striper behave differently than the Chesapeake Bay striper even though they are the same strand
              Lake AnnaStriper prefer colder water than the Chesapeke Bay striper. Lake Anna Striper likes 45-48F water
              The proper lure size is 3.5-4". I like Bass Assassin 3-4 " pearl color with sparkles. People catch bigger striper with these small lures

I launch from 4 different locations based on the water temp. North (upper lake water is colder than that of Dike III (South) where the warm water comes out from the warm side

Finding striper isn't that easy if there is no actively feeding birds. I look for mid-large flats and zigzag the edge lines. A fish finder is must

Launch:
              Hunter's Landing Store and Marina
              6320 Belmont Rd. (Route 719), Mineral, VA 23117

If the store is not open early in the morning, pay when you come back from fishing
              I fish this place in Oct - Nov when the water temp (mid lake and Dike III) is above 47F. The water can be frozen here in Jan-Feb
              ---------------------------------
              Lake Anna State Park
              deposit box at the entrance ($4 -5.00) in 2013
              I fish this place in Dec when the water temp here is 44-47F
              ----------------------
              High Point Marina ($5-6.00)for kayak launch
              http://www.highpointmarina.com/
              I buy Bass Assassin 3.5" pearl color lures here.
              When I launch here, I head for south (2.5 miles) and fish where Dike I is. The water temp near Dike II is 47F when the water temp at the marina is 45F
              ----------------------
              Dike III (3611 Moody Town Rd‎., Bumpass, VA 23024
              Free parking
              The water temp here is always over 50F in winter. I fish here between mid Jan and mid March when the water temps in other places are below 44F. Water is clear always here

I will be fishing Lake Anna in Mid Jan. I will hit Dike 3 that time

Joe
              Last edited by ComeOnFish; 12-25-2013, 10:14 AM.
              Youtube UserID: ComeOnFish01 (Over 300 kayak fishing videos in mid-Atlantic (DE, MD & VA)

Comment

So the technique is to fish the contour lines on the edge of the flats, or mark fish on the FF and then turn and troll through them?
                Hurricane Skimmer 128
                WS Pamlico 100

Comment

Joe - thanks for the great write up. If we can get a break in the water I may make a trip down there and check it out.

Comment

Originally posted by Runnin View Post
                    So the technique is to fish the contour lines on the edge of the flats, or mark fish on the FF and then turn and troll through them?
                    Yes.
                    What I learned was that Lake Anna stripers will be 10-22' down, and on the bottom. This means you fish less than 25' of water. If fish are suspended 10-20' in 30'+ of water, the fish are stripers.

If you see fish 25-60' down, they are LM or Catfish. I posted once that LM and catfish more than 30' down, were floating on the side 100 % (when I thought they were stripers) because the air bladder expansion. Unlike stripers LM and Catfish stayed on the bottom all the time in the cold water, perhaps their bladders couldn't adjust fast.

BTW, I will hit Dike III in mid January

Joe

Comment

Joe - love to join you in Jan if you don't mind the company.

Comment

Originally posted by daolai View Post
                        Joe - love to join you in Jan if you don't mind the company.
                        I will post on Thu or Fri on Freshwater forum when I am planning to fish on Sat

Comment

Working...
                        X